Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smashing Pumpkins to reform?

Options
  • 21-06-2005 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Fresh on the heels of the release of his first solo album, "TheFutureEmbrace," Chicago rocker Billy Corgan says he's breathing new life into an old dream: The Smashing Pumpkins.

In a full-page advertisement in today's Chicago Tribune marking the release of the new CD, Corgan says, "For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams."

The Smashing Pumpkins broke up in 2000 after playing a final gig at The Metro. The band racked up record sales (more than 25 million, with 1995's "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" selling 4.7 million in the U.S.) and critical acclaim (two Grammys and several nominations) in a relatively short time; their debut album, "Gish," was released in 1991.

The Pumpkins have a tumultuous history. The band's lineup included drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, guitarist James Iha, bassist D'Arcy Wretzky and Corgan; Wretzky left after recording "Machina" in 2000, with former Hole bassist Melissa auf der Maur filling her spot in the tour, and Corgan has blamed Iha in postings on his Web site for breaking up the band.

After the breakup, Corgan and Chamberlin put together the rock quintet Zwan, which imploded in 2003 after only one album.

"TheFutureEmbrace" is set for release Tuesday.

Here's the article and here's the full-page advert.

Woot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bumblebeemouth

NO ****ING WAY!!!!!!! That would be the best news I've heard in 4 and a half years wahooo!!!!!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I support/endorse anything which involves Jimmy Chamberlin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Ah, now that's good news. What a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'll believe it when I see it. I always wished for it, or at least a reunion tour as I never got to see them live. I saw Billy on the 17th but I'd really like to see The Pumpkins:) wooo!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

Fab news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins

Up with this sort of thing. It's not clear he's going to use the old band though, does anyone know are they all still on speaking terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

dont think this will happen. James Iha isnt liking billy too much atm. and D'arcy is still a junkhead is she not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Fúck yeah.

Chamberlin would get back into it. I'd be a little less certain of D'arcy and Iha though; D'arcy's moved on and Iha is in A Perfect Circle (I also get the impression that he's on bad terms with Corgan).

It seems almost certain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭cactushan

:):):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

If they could get the old band together and Corgan got his anger back then it would be savage.

Fúck yeah.

Chamberlin would get back into it. I'd be a little less certain of D'arcy and Iha though; D'arcy's moved on and Iha is in A Perfect Circle (I also get the impression that he's on bad terms with Corgan).

It seems almost certain though.

yea but APC are finished now. billy howerdel is doin a solo album. it was never a permanent thing.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    yea but APC are finished now. billy howerdel is doin a solo album. it was never a permanent thing.

Well until after Tool finishes their new album/tour etc. A Perfect Circle should be back in action, and I haven't heard anything about Iha leaving the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Im probaly thinking to far ahead here but I'd love to see the Pumpkins headling Slane. it would probaly sell out really quick like the other Pumpkin Gigs here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

****ing fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Maynard.

No hope of zwan reforming then? :(
    Just kidding, I dont see the pumpkins getting fully back together, but the news of sum kind of reform has put a very large smile on my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

:D:D
    thats great news.

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard that anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Great news, eh? :D

Ah now, Zwan weren't that bad. I probably sound really biased towards everything Billy has done, but I'm not, The Marked are total shoite!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Surely not!!! I love the Pumpkins but I'm not even sure if a reunion would be a good idea. The band members have been polarised in opposite directions more and more over the years. I'd LOVE to hear another Chamberlain/Corgan collaboration though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

cornbb wrote:
    I'd LOVE to hear another Chamberlain/Corgan collaboration though

Isn't Chamberlin the drummer for the "Billy Corgan" band?

0utshined wrote:
    Isn't Chamberlin the drummer for the "Billy Corgan" band?

No, but he does play on one song on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

eh

It seems James knew nothing of this and the pumpkins are not pumpkins without James!

even if melissa auf der maur did it it would be cool

ronano wrote:
    eh

It seems James knew nothing of this and the pumpkins are not pumpkins without James!

Hmm, behold the nightmare backing vocals even.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

evad_lhorg wrote:
    even if melissa auf der maur did it it would be cool
    eh......no.
    If they were to reform it would have to be corgan/chamberlain/iha else it wouldnt be the smashing pumpkins. As much as I'd love it to happen I just cant see D'arcy coming back :(

Aye, Melissa Auf Der Maur didn't really fit into the Pumpkins, she was just filling in for the final tour. Plus she's into her solo career at the moment, so it's still unlikely.

Maybe get a Pumpkins/Zwan reunion with Corgan, Pajo, Lenchantin and Chamberlin...

...nah that would never happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

When I heard the news I put on Rotten Apples to celebrate.

Yeah I dont see D'Arcy comin back either......I saw Melissa play with them a few times live and I have to say she's ten times a better bass player than Ms Wretzky and plus she's really energetic on stage. I'd love the original line-up but I dont think it's gonna happen. If the band do reform to some extent, I'm gonna stalk them round europe!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

My god this would be awesome.

• Advertisement

Theres just something about the original 4. I mean that is ultimately The Smashing Pumpkins. The Wretzky/Iha connection (on the swing in thirty three) etc etc..

I wonder how bug is these days :rolleyes:

Advertisement