Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irishman given 12 years sentance in Philippines - sympathy?

Options
  • 17-05-2015 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

A 55 year old Irish mental-health care nurse was sentenced to 12 years in prison for allegedly possessing .38 grams of marijuana. He passed 2 security checkpoints without issue, and the third one 'found' the marijuana.

http://bringeannahome.com/

When I read something like this I always think of those 'Banged Up Abroad' shows...the ones where 'innocent' "I didn't know drug smuggling was wrong" people get harsh sentences. But this case is clearly different. .38 grams? 55 year old mental health worker?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

This is why I will never go to these sort of countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

There won't be a groundswell to get him repatriated, what's .38 grammes anyway in terms of this substance, sees a bit of, is there anything else to it, anyway he has the rest of his life to live etc, not like its a suitcase or even a pocket full?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

cerastes wrote: »
    There won't be a groundswell to get him repatriated, what's .38 grammes anyway in terms of this substance, sees a bit of,

I'm not sure what .38 grams of marijuana would do...I think it's enough for one hit?
    cerastes wrote: »
    is there anything else to it, anyway he has the rest of his life to live etc, not like its a suitcase or even a pocket full?

No, it was just .38 grams, nothing else. He owns a property (just a hut) in an area that has become hugely popular in the last few years. Do people have motivation for him selling? I guess that's all speculation though.

conorcan2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what .38 grams of marijuana would do...I think it's enough for one hit?

No, it was just .38 grams, nothing else. He owns a property (just a hut) in an area that has become hugely popular in the last few years. Do people have motivation for him selling? I guess that's all speculation though.

Well that's more to it, corruption is rife but still this is all speculation, I'd say the drugs trade is rampant there so .38 grammes looks ridiculous, either it was his, foolish or they planted it on him. I hope this is as widely reported as those idiots in Peru, those morons had a suitcase or two of cocaine?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nc19 wrote: »
    This is why I will never go to these sort of countries

strange approach to life. south east asia is an amazing place. irish mate of mine loves the place. never been there myself but im sure he's right.

moral of the story, dont use drugs in these countries. the country provides you with enough to deal with reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    strange approach to life. south east asia is an amazing place. irish mate of mine loves the place. never been there myself but im sure he's right.

moral of the story, dont use drugs in these countries. the country provides you with enough to deal with reality.

Strange moral to get from a story. I thought it was an example of extreme punishment for a potentially innocent man. A countries system of justice is not synonymous with morality; particularly if this countries judicial system is corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

conorcan2 wrote: »
    Strange moral to get from a story. I thought it was an example of extreme punishment for a potentially innocent man. A countries system of justice is not synonymous with morality; particularly if this countries judicial system is corrupt.

good point alright. apologies didnt read the story fully. too much reading for me but its obvious these countries are extremely anti drugs, even though the war on drugs is a complete waste of time and money in my eyes. another story really. my advice for these countries is to avoid drug use at all times, even though i met many that did. i had to actually pay off border guards before in asia. im sure theres more to the ops story as well. i feel sorry for those that get wrongfully arrested and jailed in these countries. prison life must be impossible there

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eanna o cochlain

I have joined this forum today because I want to be able to reply to anyone interested in my case. I will be clear here. I was set up because it became common knowledge that members of my family were well heeled and they thought that they could hold me for ransom. there are thousands of foreigners here in even worse circumstances. Two years here has drained me of all energy to fight back. To my surprise Irish catholic priests are fighting hard for me and have personal experiances themselves being falsly accused.
    It is hard for you to understand the level of corruption here. It is at every street corner waiting to pounce on any foreigner. I am trying to get the irish Gov to put up more explicid warnings to citizens planning to come here.
    I will answer any questions ,just ask. Those who want to make bad comments like ''its his own fault''. If you cant say something good then best to say nothing.

I cannot thank you enough for what you are doing for me. my family are greatly moved
    I hope and pray that we can meet someday. I am in tears ..moved by a strangers kindness.
    I feel that I have been written off by the Irish gov
    What I would like to know is who are the other irish trapped hereI have heard unofficially that there are at least 12 so perhaps there is a wider story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

How do you have internet access? If it really is you I'm sure the guys at boards would rather an AMA.

If its not you then they will be able to tell quite easily and you'll be banned.

Are the Irish government doing much to help you and your family?

• Advertisement

Luke92.

Its really the guy facing 12 years. Irish gov .foreign Affairs doing only consular services but may be working in the background at diplomatic level
    thanks for your interest. struggling to keep up with twitter and e mails etc. at moment in 41 degree index heat in Manila I am on bail so live in rented house alone

• Registered Users Posts: 40 patrickcoughlan

luke 92 and others : thanks for any interest in my brother Eanna o Cochlain and i can assure you it is the real guy as I am the real brother who let the story rip on cork96fm a while ago...pls try to get informed and pls inform others of this thread
    my brother registered only this month when he was informed that the thread was opened but i myself am a member for yrs

.38 grammes is less than 1 tenth of a teaspoon? its 3/4 of the weight required to even be a tenth of a teaspoon.
    Is it known if there were suggestions or requests for bribes declined previously? that caused offence and then a "find"
    I understand it's considered a it's a way of life in some places and I believe that's one of those places.

What pressure are you putting on politicians?
    Given two morons (granted not from Ireland) seem to be getting off the hook for transporting suitcase loads of drugs, this seems insane and implausible.

bringeannahome.com has all the info Cerastes and others .basically on his trip he had arranged with two of his inlaws to develop a site on a beach that Eanna and wife bought years ago.
    these guys had just inherited some money from their later father whose will had just been sorted and checks issued and were finally able to join in as partners to try to better their world locally. Eannas fili wife Jho was executor and hence the whole reason for their visit.
    how that connects with the plant ,if it does , we will never know but there was no bribes asked for or refused beforehand.
    we would like to broaden out this thread and draw in more contributors so if you have any ideas feel free

politicians all lip service really ...i messed up my passport application and a certain minister of state local cork her for foreign affairs could not shake it loose from a civil servant just across town ..with three working days notice ..my flights went without me and as i type am still hoping to shake it loose b4 projected 6th june delivery to rebook my outwards and use my original returns dep manila 11th june .

bringeannahome.com #bringeannahome

https://www.mixcloud.com/blackoutatsunrise/patrick-coughlan-wwwbringeannahomecom/

above is an interview i gave that i would like people to share around and maybe even listen to but it is quiet long

thanx to all supporters and volunteers !

Hi from Manila.
    An Irishman , 55 years old who needs your help and not just board comments. Take action and help save my life
    As I am a new user I cannot place links but please look up an article by Father Shay Cullen, Irishman in the Manila Times on page 5a.
    and widely circulated in Asia and soon to be syndicated in Europe. The article named ''the injustice of it all'' highlights my case and juxtaposes it with the alleged brutal sexual assault and rape of an 11 year street child by police who died later as a result of her wounds.
    Her name is Chastity...how ironic and tragic. Not one of the police officers have been brought to justice ,the station commander fled to the US.
    cant say I am not disappointed that there is so few people following this thread.
    Put yourself in my place....facing a virtual death sentence of 12 years for a petty crime that I did not do, a nurse who has spent his whole life administering to the sick and dying for 27 years flawlessly. I am begging for all your help in sharing,t weeting,f acebook etc my story. Sign my petition at change.org

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joollyparo

This does not add up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

I'm sorry to hear about your plight. I hope this story gains traction and the media take it up. It's a very shocking sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

joollyparo wrote: »
    This does not add up at all.

Which part does not add up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Which part does not add up?
    A strange aggressive tone from everyone concerned, zero media coverage of what seems to be a slightly dodgy story...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I've been to Manila a dozen times and never experienced anything like is being claimed happens in this thread. It's a tough, tough place but the locals are generally good people. Yes some would take what they can but that's what extreme poverty will do to people. That said, I travel for work and I'm mainly in the good part of the city.

I don't get why this fella is claiming he was set up though. Did the people who set him up tell him in advance "Give us money or we plant drugs" or are the police saying "We're holding you until you give us money". Something seems a bit strange about it.

As for why this isn't getting attention on boards - it's probably in a "low traffic" forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

For those asking - I contacted the poster 'eanna o cochlain' on 26th of May asking if he could verify that he is who he says he is. He replied the following day to say he would be happy to but has yet to provide anything further.

If I do get some kind of verification I'll confirm it here.

Advertisement