Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

game of the week

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

HA-LO!
    HA-LO!
    HA-LO!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Need for speed!

NEED-FOR-SPEED!

NEED-FOR-SPEED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Streets Of Rage 2?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

HA-LO!
    HA-LO!
    HA-LO!

I did have legend of dragoon as a game of the week so pieces of **** do have their place :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I did have legend of dragoon as a game of the week so pieces of **** do have their place :P

Oh... speaking of that... look what I made:

pjduobtc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And my game of the week is....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH3QkefFJm3uQf9xMyKgwSPoiHPAcPsQvs2ogkQvccG4gY32yYNZA9g3S5

Rollcage Stage II!!

The late 90's was a time when the PS was king.
    The consoles "coolness" was cemented around clubbing and the aggressive marketing of the Wipeout series.
    Also the device created the ideal of a licenced soundtrack, and this acted as a hook into the markets that were, hitherto, outside the remit of console gaming.

So far, so good.

But there was another racing series, one that wasn't as high profile as Wipeout, also on the PS and published by Sony via Psygnosis.
    Rollcage.
    Instead of unwheeled warriors we get cars that are as rough and tumble as toys, levels that are designed around the weapons and speed and did I mention the weapons?

This game does not want you to blink much, not a finesse fest as Wipeout became, adjusting nose attitudes to get the best racing line, flicking the airbrakes left and right, nope, none of that nonsense.
    Here we have a car that can run on the ground, upside down, if knocked onto it's back it runs on, having no true up or down to it.
    The cars are just sticky enough to make the bizarre racing controllable and it all runs fast, very very fast.
    It doesn't want you banging into the sides of the track and grinding to a halt so it does all it can to shift you along.

To me, and I'm a Wipeout fan, the Rollcage games, there were two and a follow up without the name called Firebugs, are more fun by far, the tracks are more colourful.
    Certainly the music is more, well, authentically club, Moving Shadow does the tunes and you'll have to hear and see the results of it all yourself...

Speaking of toons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Now that was a game I was not expecting you to choose! Good work Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, has anyone taken up the challenge?
    Any opinions?
    Was my tortured nights trying to think of a game of the week all for naught????
    Ungrateful wretches!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's no Legend of Dragoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I love the Rollcage games, think I spent more time with the original but played both to death. Prefer them to the wipeout games, would love to see a new installment, maybe on the Vita.

• Advertisement

It's no Legend of Dragoon.

Yeah, it's not sh1te! :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, has anyone taken up the challenge?
    Any opinions?
    Was my tortured nights trying to think of a game of the week all for naught????
    Ungrateful wretches!

i meant to post , it does look nice , and I've a soft spot for off the beaten track racers(I've even a disturbing fondness for the hotwheels games on the DS and ps2) .Might see if I can acquire a copy before the end of the week and give it a try.
    ...also its not feckin Megarace thank God (seeing as you mentioned that last week).

Megarace..
    Mega poop more like!
    But, we 3DO owners were desperate for anything new to play so, well, we bought it and despite knowing it was awful we tried to get our monies worth from it's manky, pre-rendered ass... dark days indeed, not every 3DO reminiscence consists of sunshine and rainbows, Need for Speed and Return Fire, oh no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was it Rollcage that had a competition in the Official UK Playstation Magazine?

There was a whole course on a demo disc and when you finished the level you got a code to enter into a competition.

At least I think that was it anyway!

Sorry bit late this week.

In goes:
    batari, DinoRex, ghostchant, Paperwork, luasdublin, vangoz, owaynott, KeithGeo, OwaynOTT, brianon

and the lucky winner:

owaynott

• Registered Users Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sorry bit late this week.

In goes:
    batari, DinoRex, ghostchant, Paperwork, luasdublin, vangoz, owaynott, KeithGeo, OwaynOTT, brianon

and the lucky winner:

owaynott

Oh yeah get pulled out the week Im back to college. Typical.

Ill probably post something later in the week, as I can't decide between Streets of Rage, Goldeneye, Goldenaxe or Primal Rage.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Oh yeah get pulled out the week Im back to college. Typical.

Ill probably post something later in the week, as I can't decide between Muck, Sh1te, Flaming turds in a bag or DinoRex.

Fixed it for ya!

This weeks lucky winner from:
    batari, DinoRex, Paperwork, luasdublin, vangoz, KeithGeo, brianon

Is

Keithgeo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This weeks lucky winner from:
    batari, DinoRex, Paperwork, luasdublin, vangoz, KeithGeo, brianon

Is

Keithgeo

Zool

Sorry this went away for a while, lets see if it is sparked up again.

In goes:
    batari, DinoRex, Paperwork, luasdublin, vangoz, brianon

Out comes:

Paperwork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Oh cool, I'll post it tomorrow, give me something to do while I'm hung over.

So what are we doing these days, do I make a new thread or wha?

Also must fight the urge to do it on Castlevania for the NES... I'm currently stuck into that, trying to get to the end without cheats.

Yeah just make a thread.

Castlevania is a push over, beat it recently. (only joking it's one of the toughest games ever)

Advertisement