Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK ISPs told to block 21 pirate sites. Do you download illegally?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

Duck Soup wrote: »
    With the advent of the mirror sites for Kick Ass Torrents and The Pirate Bay, blocking becomes pointless. They've blocked the originals, but so fuggin' what? A quick search with the sites' names, plus "mirrors", brings up dozens of live copies of the complete sites.

You don't even need to hide your IP, work through a proxy or change your settings. Every and all torrent sites are available with just the site name and "mirror" in your search criteria.

Everyone who's anyone knows that circumventing the block is trivially, laughably easy. Some people still disagree with the block in principle, though, believing that an ISP has no business in even attempting to censor what it's users can look at. And that's the niggle, not any inconvenience created by the block.

If the Pirate Bay's peer to peer hosting system works when it's implemented, it'll essentially be game over for these kinds of blocks because there'll be no central IP to target anymore. Pretty much any site that is targeted for censorship will rapidly follow and that'll be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You have to be careful though and do not under any circumstances allow scripts to run; the US Government and the like have installed covert javascript exploits on some pages that can easily grab info from your computer and remove itself without you even knowing. As long as you have scripts off, it's relatively okay to use. I wouldn't count on it being safe forever though.

It depends on your goal though. If you merely want to get past a block or filter, you might not necessarily care about being identified by an intelligence agency subsequently, in which case running scripts doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Woke up this morning to find that - for the first time - UPC has now blocked my access to Kick Ass Torrents. No problem, no technical stuff at all. Go to a single web page with 14 links to KAT mirror sites and about 30 Pirate Bay mirror sites.

10 seconds after I found that I'd been blocked, I was on a mirror site with every single torrent and all the data from the original.

This. Is. Fúcking. Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If they block my favourite torrent site,I'll be very annoyed for the 30 seconds it takes me to find a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Woke up this morning to find that - for the first time - UPC has now blocked my access to Kick Ass Torrents. No problem, no technical stuff at all. Go to a single web page with 14 links to KAT mirror sites and about 30 Pirate Bay mirror sites.

10 seconds after I found that I'd been blocked, I was on a mirror site with every single torrent and all the data from the original.

This. Is. Fúcking. Stupid.

UPC were one of the few ISP's to contest the ruling saying that it should not be their responsibility what people look at on the internet.
    It's like asking Woodies/B&Q to ban the sale of UV bulbs just because someone uses them to grow weed.

Also, you don't even need to use the proxy for the torrents to work. When will the old guys in record companies kick the bucket?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Rewind 20 years and a cd cost £30, it cost 2p to make the rest was profit, oh how the worm has turned, I dont feel the slightest bit sorry for some overpaid exec down to his/her last porsche not the slightest.Times have moved on pity you didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

zerks wrote: »
    If they block my favourite torrent site,I'll be very annoyed for the 30 seconds it takes me to find a way around it.

I wont, it gives me something constructive to do :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

Rewind 20 years and a cd cost £30, it cost 2p to make the rest was profit, oh how the worm has turned, I dont feel the slightest bit sorry for some overpaid exec down to his/her last porsche not the slightest.Times have moved on pity you didnt

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't say the margin was quite as extravagant as that. There's still costs of distribution and advertising etc. Was it still exorbitant? Probably, but it's still necessary to keep things in perspective.

Times do change and in the digital realm music is freely accessible. That's where we stand right now and it's a bit insulting to the intelligence when someone in the music industry states that current technological trends are messing with the natural order by interfering with profits of the music industry. They should realise themselves that recorded music was a technological innovation that was capitalised upon by businessmen and which, in turn, put a lot of print music publishers out of business. I'm sure the record men said to the print men, 'Tough sh*t. Things change' just as we now say to the record men, 'Tough sh*t. Things change.'

• sure kick torrents was blocked now in Ireland quick google search and I use kick ass unblock .net lol

Advertisement