Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minecraft on xbox

• 09-05-2012 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

just saw its out now, has anyone played it yet. how does the new crafting work and is there servers of any kind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Gonna pick it up later,

I watched a review on it last night and apparently it ports really well, There is a built in crafting recipe book when crafting anything.

You can play multiplayer but from what I seen the servers seem small, You will only be playing with other xbox users so I dont know how much an xbox can handle.

Only downside is the world seems small, apparently you can walk to the edge of the world in just over a minute.

Still looks to be a great game, Be good if we can get a boards server up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I don't understand how they haven't been able to port it to a PC server. I think that will be it's only drawback

I suppose its just down to the inferior specs on xbox.

Its a fairly lowend system in comparison to any average modern pc that can play minecraft. Even the size of the worlds alone I reckon would make the xbox red ring.

It would be fairly savage if we could download custom maps, that skyblock adventure thing you put up had me back into minecraft and at it for weeks!

Hopefully they will keep it updated as often as pc but its not likely!

I suppose its just down to the inferior specs on xbox.

Its a fairly lowend system in comparison to any average modern pc that can play minecraft. Even the size of the worlds alone I reckon would make the xbox red ring.

It would be fairly savage if we could download custom maps, that skyblock adventure thing you put up had me back into minecraft and at it for weeks!

Hopefully they will keep it updated as often as pc but its not likely!
    But it only needs to render one chunk at a time, it's not like it's rendering the whole server :confused:

Tallon wrote: »
    But it only needs to render one chunk at a time, it's not like it's rendering the whole server :confused:

Not an expert here by any means, But the size of some of the maps you can make on pc would crash an xbox I reckon, In order to get it to work you would probably only be able to load certain chunks at a time, Prob have to de render chunks already loaded in order to handle the size.

• Advertisement

Not an expert here by any means, But the size of some of the maps you can make on pc would crash an xbox I reckon, In order to get it to work you would probably only be able to load certain chunks at a time, Prob have to de render chunks already loaded in order to handle the size.
    That's the way it currently works!

The server is made up of 'chunks' when you walk into an are, it loads another chunk. All the pressure is on the server, and not the PC, so there is absolutely no reason the xbox couldn't handle it

Even if it was reduced frame rate, it would still be possible, and would really sell the game

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

4j studios did say on their twitter page that at the moment its beta 1.6 versi (i think) on that was on pc and that they will be updating it regularly so hopefully they can fix a lot of these things over time

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I read a review that says if you already play on PC then don't bother wasting your time buying the xbox version.

The xbox version is a stripped down version of the PC.

Watched a few videos and looks to be like an old version of the PC one.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I read a review that says if you already play on PC then don't bother wasting your time buying the xbox version.

The xbox version is a stripped down version of the PC.

Watched a few videos and looks to be like an old version of the PC one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Coincidently loaded the PC version up last night after not having played in months (I didn't realise the xbox version was coming out today).

One thing that I was reminded of was how poorly the game performs considering how basic it looks. My PC is no sluch, i5 2500k, 8GB RAM but it still seems to draw a lot of power.

Why is this? Is JAVA that poor to implement games in?

• Advertisement

What does the 'Online Game' option mean when creating a game? I thought the Xbox version was single player only?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

xbox version has no creative mode which is a real shame imo..
    While i dont play creative myself ive had phone calls from some of my sons friends parents asking what the hell minecraft is and how they get it [they played it on my sons pc and fell in love].
    Unless they had a pc or laptop they were screwed , i mentioned its coming to xbox but now they find out it doesnt have creative mode the net result is no purchase.

No mods,texture packs either, the core game is there with a very very user friendly crafting ui, no need to look up the wiki, tbh id like that on the pc version.

@quarryman i believe you can start a game and leave it open for friends to join you and viceversa.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Played it last night. Found it very enjoyable. Might play it now and again, but its slightly stripped down compared to the PC. Hopefully they'll keep updating the 360 version.

Played it last night. Found it very enjoyable. Might play it now and again, but its slightly stripped down compared to the PC. Hopefully they'll keep updating the 360 version.

yeah I felt the same, Was overall happy that I bought it but feels very much like a beta release of minecraft. I thought the levels were gonna be alot smaller than they are. The game feels a little bit stiff as well when you have to use the controller.

Played it for a good few hours last night but and was fairly entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Got it last night and found it enjoyable, one thing that confused me was the file size, 113mb? I have read on various sites that Mojang will be focusing on updating it as it seems to be in around the previous PC beta 1.6 (lack of sprint was actually pretty frustrating)

Love the split screen option though, really nice not to have to go messing with servers to play with someone else.. in the same house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I bought it and so far really enjoying. The multiplayer is a bit of fun over xb live. Main thing I've a problem with is the world size, i wish it'd been bigger. Anyone know if any updates are planned to expand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Stupid Question alert:

Is it single player only?

Thanks

ajc100 wrote: »
    Stupid Question alert:

Is it single player only?

Thanks

dude, the post right above yours answers that. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ciano_D

Yeah it's behind the original PC version but I have heard that it will hopefully be updated from 1.6 on. It does feel a lot better playing the Xbox version although it can be very awkward at first if you're used to playing it on PC, but I still prefer the PC version simply because of the ability to easily use mods, custom skins, texture packs and join servers (there is no servers on the Xbox version but you can join your friends game). But hopefully they will all change in the near future.

btw does anybody know anywhere I can get a decent gaming PC in Ireland for around €400-€600?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Bamboonub

Ciano_D wrote: »
    Yeah it's behind the original PC version but I have heard that it will hopefully be updated from 1.6 on. It does feel a lot better playing the Xbox version although it can be very awkward at first if you're used to playing it on PC, but I still prefer the PC version simply because of the ability to easily use mods, custom skins, texture packs and join servers (there is no servers on the Xbox version but you can join your friends game). But hopefully they will all change in the near future.

btw does anybody know anywhere I can get a decent gaming PC in Ireland for around €400-€600?

Just build one from buying parts online and such! I'd recommend http://komplett.ie/Komplett/site/KomplettHome.aspx

I got my gaming laptop there and it's pretty strong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

4J? As in the guys who did the Rare ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

I'm hosting a server now if anyone wants a game. It'll be on for most of tonight. Add or join my game by adding me ign:ThinkableMeat7

EDIT: Had to go off a bit too early :/
    Will be up tomorow sometime! Il post here when it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

Looking for someone to play with. I'm not very experienced at the moment, I only bought the game today. But so far I've learned the basics.

Oh and my gamertag is mick3690. Friend requests welcome.

gonna be on today if anyones around, will be hosting in 30 mins @ gt: KING ENDA KENNY (dont ask :P)

edit: game up, and will be for hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jaymes420

hey, i also picked up minecraft the other day, looking for a good server, and people to play with, my gamer Tag is YellowGrenade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Is this video seriously three hours long!?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

chin_grin wrote: »
    Is this video seriously three hours long!?

Yea TheSyndicateProject pulled it from his live stream, not entirely sure why he uploaded 3 hours but you will find those who would watch it!

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    gonna be on today if anyones around, will be hosting in 30 mins @ gt: KING ENDA KENNY (dont ask :P)

edit: game up, and will be for hours :)

my game is up again, someone in at the mo. If anyone else comes in can ye please leave me gaf alone thats all I ask!

Right thats enough stuff broken, going offline :)

Youtube Live Stream uploads it while it streams for archive purposes or in case you missed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Dazza wrote: »
    I'm hosting a server now if anyone wants a game. It'll be on for most of tonight. Add or join my game by adding me ign:ThinkableMeat7

EDIT: Had to go off a bit too early :/
    Will be up tomorow sometime! Il post here when it is!!

Going to be online soon . :)

Advertisement