Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming, cycling and plodding my way to Las Vegas

• 15-02-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

I think it time to get a new log started. My last one died a death after IMUK so rather that resurrect that one I'll start a new one.

So what have I done since last August 2010? Post IMUK I did DCM in a dissapointing 3.52 which included a spectacular blow up at 20 miles which left me with a 65 minute last 10km. Turns out it wasn't a lack of fitness (I never actually 'hit the wall') but was actually a foot injury that I've been trying to shake off since.

Post DCM my plan was to go sub 1.40 in the Waterford Half Marathon (I had done a 1.44 half in training for the DCM) but the foot injury killed off that plan. I did very little over November and December (except for growing my waistline).

Mid December I entered Conn Ultra and until a couple of weeks ago was training for that. I got up to 20 miles LSR but found it difficult to recover from that enough to allow me go 20 miles plus the following week so have deferred that until 2012 - I was certain to get injured again with the mileage I was trying to put in, especially given the lack of running since DCM.

So where are we now?

Swim
    Last year my swimming improved dramatically - from mediocre to average. I did IM in 1.15.xx which I was delighted with. I got my 750m OW time down to below 15mins which for me was a huge achivement. Since IM I haven't done big mileage but I have been concentrating on technique and I *think* its starting to pay off. My stroke rate has dropped from about 95-100 per 100m to 80-85 (until I get tired that is). My swim aim for this year is to get my pool 750m down to below 14 minutes, and as close to 13mins as possible - oh and to try and get bilateral breathing mastered. I've even signed up for my first swim classess / masters sessions which start next week so looking forward to that.

Bike
    My IM bike was a big big dissapointment - 7.26. That length of time in the sadlle is cruel and unusual punishment. Even if IMUK is a tough bike course I should have been much better that that - I had done close to the full 180kms in training over a flat course with an average speed of just below 30kph. The two main reasons for my lack of speed where lack of training and lack of time doing hill or speed work of any sort. The plan for this year is to rectify that by training smarter and not just aiming to hit time in the saddle milestones (as per Fink). I'd like to try and be able to keep an average speed of 33kph over a 100km course i.e. do 100km is less than 3 hrs. I haven't been outside on the TT bike since last September, but I have done a few couple of hours on the turbo and have started back on the torture machine in earnest.

Run
    Again my run improved dramatically last year. Other than the foot injury I was happy enough apart from DCM where I had hoped to go sub 3.45. I had a long lay off over November and December but have put in a reasonable few miles since New Year, up to 20 miles LSR. I've eased back on the distances since I pulled put of Conn Ultra but at least its given me a decent base to start off the year on.

So what's the plan?
    I had been looking around for an IM for 2011 but nothing was grabbing my interest and tbh I was loosing motivation for training, but I've now settelled on an event that has me chomping at the bit to get back at it, the ITU Long Course Triathlon World Championship in Las Vegas in November. Yes, believe it or not a fat bald old git like me is going to get to wear a green tri suit!! Ok, being realistic I only got a place as (a) I reckon no one else applied to TI and (b) there are no qualification standards to represent Ireland at age group level. If I was looking to represent the UK at this event I'd need to be close to being a 10hr IM finisher. Despite all that I'm excited about this. Its a bit different from an IM and it's in Las Vegas (I have to say that didn't take much selling to the wife!!). The distances are somewhat less that an IM - 4k swim / 120km bike / 30km run.

I reckon if I put in the hours in training I should hope to finish midtable in my AG and that's gonna be my aim. To get to that standard I need to train along the lines of being comfortably able to go sub 11hr IM / close to 5hr HIM. The plan is to train somewhat smarter than last year and not just keep aiming for distance milestones as I did last year. I have a loose plan put together but I think I'll keep it under wraps for now. Taking on some of the advice from ART the current plan does not go past mid May when I'll be doing the Tri An Mhi HIM, which will be a good indication of fitness progression. I've got a time in mind for this but again I'll keep it close to my chest for now.

I've got 2 definite races planned at this stage which will help me gague my progress:

April - Port Laois Sprint - I did this last year so doing it again this year will give me a good indication of fitness levels and whether or not speed has improved.
    May - Tri An Mhi HIM - this will be a key indicator of how the training is going. I have a time in mind that I'd like to be hitting at this stage of my training.

After these races I'll review the training regieme to assess if its working and take it from there. I have a vague plan to do either the Triathy 3 X OD or preferably the Swinford HIM as my next race but I'll try and hold off making definite plans as yet. If things are really going well I might give the ETU European Championships in Finland a go in August but cost as well as fitness is a big factor here.

Be warned, I dont have a power metre on my bike; I have a busy job, I commute 3 hrs per day, and I have 3 small kids (with another one due in late May if God is good) - my log is going to seem somewhat low tech compared to some others, but I am determined to give this my best shot. I'd like to think I leaned a lot about my body last year so hopefully this will help. I know November is a long way away but I'm not going to plan that far in advance, I'll take it one step at a time. I am quite open to criticism and comment and welcome it, especially from the more expert athletes (mentors?) here.

Here we go again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

You lost me at Vegas !!! an inspired bit of work convincing the missus ;)

Swim in Lake Mead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Sounds fantastic, I have always wanted to do a North American race if I was going to go for the big one, build some type of half asses holiday around it. I like those distances as well, much longer than a 1/2 ironman but not as bad as the full

Hopefully will see you in Swinford, the timing is great in one way, long enough to enjoy all the tri races in the summer but far enough away to get demotivated very easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Kaysen Famous Shingle

I will be following the log with interest. If you have not been to Vegas you will really enjoy it, i have been there a good few times albeit not doing a tri event:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

O this sounds great! The event caught my eye too and maybe one for the future indeed (not ready for those distances yet). The very best of luck man, I'll be following with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great stuff, I look forward to keeping an eye on this log!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

Wow, the training logs forum has certainly got a lot busier since the last time I kept a log, give it a day or two and your log gets lost down to page 4 or 5.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.
    Swim in Lake Mead ?

The swim is in lake Las Vegas.
    Sounds fantastic, I have always wanted to do a North American race if I was going to go for the big one, build some type of half asses holiday around it. I like those distances as well, much longer than a 1/2 ironman but not as bad as the full

Yeah the distance appeals to me as its short enough not to be as taxing as an IM especially the bike and run end of it.
    Hopefully will see you in Swinford

If I do Swinford can I have a Catweazle nom de guerre? :D

griffin100 wrote: »
    If I do Swinford can I have a Catweazle nom de guerre? :D

You may now be too good for me, the levels of intimidation alone as you stride through Transition in your Ireland Tri suit would be too much for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Good stuff G100, happy training, and all the best for the year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Wow, the training logs forum has certainly got a lot busier since the last time I kept a log, give it a day or two and your log gets lost down to page 4 or 5.

Try leaving it a week
    But nice one griffin100. Enjoyed your log last time. Best of luck in your new adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

For a minute there, I thought you'd signed up for the mini-IM out there in Sept:)

Best of luck with it and well done on the free pass in a baby year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey G100 pretty cool goal you have there and it will feel brill to wear the green. Best of luck with the training and I'll follow this log with interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Class location for a race. Where do you find the time? 3 kids and another on the way - congrats on that. All that coupled with a 3 hour commute. Impressive dude!

You may now be too good for me, the levels of intimidation alone as you stride through Transition in your Ireland Tri suit would be too much for me
    The green tri suit is strictly for international races and friday nights;)
    Where do you find the time? 3 kids and another on the way - congrats on that. All that coupled with a 3 hour commute. Impressive dude!

I have a very understanding wife. As I dont play golf or spend my saturday afternoons in the pub shouting at english football teams she's prepared to allow some lattitude, I also think she still thinks this is a phase I'm going through and will wear off soon:)

My first phase of training is designed to get to the HIM in May in reasonable shape. I want to try and get my HIM time down by around 20mins on my last HIM last year so that's going to take some work. I wont have the time to do mega long weekend sessions this year but I think quality over quantity will be this years mantra.

On the run I'm working off a 4-5 times a week plan. The aim would be to get a set of hill repeats, some track intervals, a tempo run and a brick session in each week - or as close to this as possible. I'm not too pushed on LSR's at this stage as phase 1 training is about HM distance. Late last year I reckon a 1.40 HM was in my sights and I'd like to get back to that stage for May.

On the bike I have been looking at the sub 10 thread and other discussions and it's obvious that I need to start doing some inetrvals or high intensity work - I did none of this last year. I'm still in planning for this at the minute but the rough scheduele is 3 bikes a week with a long one at the weekend (with a run) and a shorter one during the week with some high intensity stuff thrown in, and a third short session during the week in the big ring with a low cadence to mimic hill work - I will replace this with real hill work when the evenings get longer. I've yet to get outside on the bike this year, it's all been turbo to date so I have to get that sorted.

Swimming will be three sessions a week - for the next 8 weeks one session will be a coached / lesson session; with two longer sessions - one of shorter fast stuff and one of longer slower sets.

I'm concious of the other tri logs on here and the level of training others are doing and there's no comparison with me.

Numbers To Date
    Up until this week my numbers to date for this year were:
    Run 153 miles
    Bike 8hrs turbo
    Swim 18,100m

Apart from the running mileage all very low but I'm not too worried yet as I've only just started back in earnest. Compared to this time last year I had 33,000m swum; 24hrs on the bike; run 98 miles.

This Week
    Monday
    Run 7 miles - with 4 x quater miles hill repeats

Tuesday
    Bike - 1hr15mins turbo - @ 50 mins inserted 5 min hard / 3 min spin x 3 repeats
    Swim - 1,500m - 500wu / 200 drills / 100 x 4 off 2.15 / 200 drills / 400cd

Wednesday
    Swim approx. 500m. This was the first of my coached / lesson sessions. There were three lanes of swimmers - beginners (as in can barely out their face in the water) / masters group doing mixed strokes / intermediate group with a range of abilities. At the start I was put into the intermediate group. For the first few minutes I was a bit off about the whole thing as the range of abilities in my lane was very broad and at first the stuff we we were doing was very very basic even for me. Then things started to improve as we got into more of the stroke mechanics - this is what I really need as I know I can swim long distances but need to get my stroke more efficient. Making some minor adjustments to my stroke, slowing everything down and kicking hard (I have an extremely poor kick) I was doing 20m lengths in 10 strokes:eek: Thats about 6-7 less than my previous best. Obviously this wasn't at raece pace but I was delighted. The instructor also reckons I have a nice stroke (but then again this is an intermediate group:rolleyes:). So came away from this session happy.
    Thursday
    Day off - first in over a week.

Friday
    Second day in a row of nothing:( I suffer from vertigo on occasion and I was hit with an attack on Thursday night. Now when I say vertigo, I dont mean I feel a bit dizzy, I get completely floored and if its a bad attack I end up puking and not being able to move at all. Recovery takes a day or two and its like coming out of a really bad hangover. After Thursday night Friday was a washout - I got home from work at 5.30 and fell asleep on the couch until 10.30 - I was in a bad way.

Saturday
    Swim 2,200m - 1,000wu / 200 drills / 100 x 4 off 2.15 / 200 drills / 100 x 4 off 2.20

Did the first 750m in exactly 15mins so starting to get some of my swim fitness back I think.

Run 10 miles @ 9 min / mile pace. After saying I wasn't pushed about LSR's I go and do one:rolleyes: Still was a bit ropey so was just glad to get a run in.

Sunday
    Bike - 2hrs turbo - kept a steady pace with a HR around 135-140 bpm. Thats a lot higher than I'd keep on the turbo last year, either I'm getting better at concentrating on holding a set pace or I've lost so much bike fitness even an easy pace raises my HR. I hope its the former.

Run - 5 miles - straight of the turbo for a run. Had planned on doing 3 miles but felt good so pushed out to 5 miles. First 3 miles @ 8.40 pace - last 2 miles on my knees:D Spectacular bonk. Oh well, its my first brick in months.

Still haven't gone outside on the bike yet, I need to HTFU and get out.

Week Totals
    Swim 4,200
    Bike 3.15hrs turbp
    Run 22 miles

This week...

Monday
    Run 5.5 miles / 45 mins with 6 x quarter mile hill repeats. Was pushed for time do went with a set of hill repeats - quality over quantity - was fecked at the end.

Tuesday
    Swim 2,500m - 200 wu / 100 drills / 100 x 20 off 2.25 / 200 cd.
    This was my longest swim session in quite a while. Each of the 20 x 100m's came in at between 1.58 - 2.00 so very pleased with that. The interval between sets was long but I'll try this session again nexct week with a shorter interval.

Wednesday
    Swim - approx. 750m. My second swim class. This turned out to be a big dissapointment. The instructors put me into the 'masters' group this week. Problem here is that we were being asked to do butterfly, backstroke and breaststroke. Now I cant do any of these strokes and have no real desire to learn at this stage. This upset the instructor somewhat. We also had problems in that my frontcrawl was much faster than anyone else in the group so I kept getting held up. The session didn't really do much for me and the instructor wants me to go back to the intermediate group for a couple of weeks to learn how to backstroke :mad: I'm pissed off at this as before I booked the sessions I specifically said I couldn't swim anything other than front crawl and wanted to improve on that only and was told that that was no problem. I'm not sure if there's much point in going back next week. I need to find a session somewhere that pushes you hard through front crawl drills and sets. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. The only consolation is that the girls in the intermediate group are much better looking than the masters group and its not that unpleasant to be held up behind them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

I would have had a somewhat similar opinion to youself on 'other strokes'.

I've begun to change my mind though. I find the b/s stroke good for flexibility - a big problem of mine - and I focus on flexibilty during it - well that and not waterboarding myself. I also think b/fly can be a great strength exercise. May be give it a go for a while - open you mind as they say!

The only consolation is that the girls in the intermediate group are much better looking than the masters group and its not that unpleasant to be held up behind them:D

That makes it a proper dilemma alright :D IMO that coach is being completely inflexible. Especially if you paid him. I hate the 'stick to my mantra or else' agendas of some Coaches. Ok so you want to get strong and faster/fitter on the F/S required for Tri. Thats your agenda and he should really at the very least give you suggestions. I wouldn't expect a session plan to be changed but he could also be real and suggest that the session is not for you based on your goals. Anyway, personally I have slowly started doing some backstroke (or something vaguely resembling it) recently and I find it good to change the stroke now and then to give the f/s muscles a break. I actually do 1-200m b/s at the end of most sessions just to stretch the shoulders out. If Im too tired I cool down with breaststroke.

Get thee to a daacent group session chief. like Masters or something to that effect...

After your scurrilous claims on the Hardman thread, I was about to start slagging you off for taking on a downhill long distance course (unlike Roth:)), but I reckoned I'd better check the course first - just as well, the 2nd half of the bike looks pretty rough! Run is lumpy enough too, but the swim is pancake flat...

I take the point about other strokes (i'd love to be able to swim butterfly properly) but I didn't realise that mixed stroked was part of the requirement for these sessions. I specifically told one of the instrictors I couldn't swim anything other than front crawl before I paid and she said that was not an issue. After our conversations I was expecting a session of swims off the clock and drills, not a mix of slowly swum mixed stroke work. Thats what's annoying me most. To these classes I have to stay late in Dublin after work and I dont end up getting home until after 10pm so I'm woundering if my limited training time could be used more productively.
    After your scurrilous claims on the Hardman thread, I was about to start slagging you off for taking on a downhill long distance course (unlike Rothsmile.gif), but I reckoned I'd better check the course first - just as well, the 2nd half of the bike looks pretty rough! Run is lumpy enough too, but the swim is pancake flat...

Ha, its a tough second half of the bike alright out there in the Nevada desert. I'm hoping thoughts of the blow out I plan to have on the Vegas strip post race will get me through it - that or the thought that the longer I take the finish the race the more money my wife will have blown in the casinos before I can get to her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Kaysen Famous Shingle

On the swim lessons Griffin just be firm with the instructor on what you want to get from the lessons. I had coaching lessons a while back and was having the same troubles, i told them i needed f/c only as i was doing an IM and that was that.
    I cannot imagine too many doing butterfly in an IM:), breaststroke is probably more likely for some with recovery in between.

• Advertisement

Time for an update - I seem to be taking the Izoard approach to the training log this year - updates are few and far between :rolleyes:

I compared my training volume to this time last year and I'm about 33% down on both swimming and cycling but am about 15% ahead on the running. I'm getting in 7 or so sessions a week but am struggling to get anymore done. Hitting around 10hrs week training volume. The motivation is not as stong as it was last year and not sticking to a set training plan doesn't help. Weight is not around 10lbs above where it was last August:rolleyes:

I've tried to get more quality into my sessions rather than just thinking time and distance so hopefully that is helping. My swim sessions have a lot more stroke work than last year and my technique has improved. I've got my 750m TT in the pool down to 14.35 which for me I'm delighted with, although I'm a bit jealous of CW's reapid swim progress this year. My time in the saddle hasn't been great but I'm up to 3hr rides. My new favourite turbo session is a 5 min warm up followed by 10 sets of 3 mins flat out / 2 mins recovery. Dont know if its anygood but its enjoyable and torture at the same time. My running is getting back to where it was late last year so happy enough. Lots of hill sessions.

First race of the season is tomorrow in Port Laois. This will hopefully give me an indication of where I am versus this time last year. Last year I did 15.21 / 35.53 / 22.16 Total 1.15.52. This year I'd hope to beat the swim and be close enough to the bike and run times. In some ways it would be better to be much slower. as this might give me the motivation to get off my pardy arse:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

I thought a Vegas triathlon would involve some combination of drinking, gambling and sex!
    Best of luck with it.

Ha I wouldn't call it rapid - the new pb is more a measure of me having never really tried a 400m TT before. The big drop in time is more due to the fact that I had a couple of easy days before this attempt. I always seem to be trying it on tired legs.

A 750m TT is a whole new ball game for me though, I dont think I would be getting your PB time there the exhaustion would catch up with me around 600m

Good luck tomorrow, out nice and early i have another 6/7 weeks to go before Spiddal, lovely weather for one!

Time for an update - I seem to be taking the Izoard approach to the training log this year - updates are few and far between :rolleyes:

I compared my training volume to this time last year and I'm about 33% down on both swimming and cycling but am about 15% ahead on the running. I'm getting in 7 or so sessions a week but am struggling to get anymore done. Hitting around 10hrs week training volume. The motivation is not as stong as it was last year and not sticking to a set training plan doesn't help. Weight is not around 10lbs above where it was last August:rolleyes:

Given that your A event is in November, your volume will even out as you build up for it - I can't imagine you were caning it after IMUK?:)

I thought a Vegas triathlon would involve some combination of drinking, gambling and sex!

That all depends on whether or not the wife comes;)

Given that your A event is in November, your volume will even out as you build up for it - I can't imagine you were caning it after IMUK?smile.gif

Yup a long way to go. Looking to find a 'B' event for August to concentrate the mind and am thinking about the Hardman in Kerry - not sure if I want to chance the first year of an IM distance race though (I still have nighmares about Eireman).

If the funds hold up I might try Finland for the europeans as a warm up for Vegas, but getting to the arse end of nowhere in Finland aint cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for your race tomorrow. 'Twas my first tri. A good race.

Tri Laois
    What a cracking day for a race. It was baking by mid morning. Last year I was in wave 7, this year wave 2. Good because I wouldn't have to wait around for hours for my swim; bad because wave 2 is a slow swim wave (not that I'm fast but you know what I mean). Got talking to the other swimmers in my lane and as I had suspected they were all 20-25 min swimmers I was hoping to do a 14-15 minute swim. The chief swim marshal was great though, she reorganised the few of use who were all hoping for a 15 minute swim (one guy was aiming for a 13 minute swim - how he ended up in this wave I'll never understand) into the same lane.

At the warm up did a relaxed 100m in 1.40, looking good for a decent swim. I started in second place in the lane and off we went. Straight away it went awol; all the technique work I had been doing over the last few months went out the window and I ended up muscling my way through the swim. For the last 200m or so I was fcuked. Marshall shouted 14.57 at me as I exited the pool, about 3 seconds quicker than last year...ffs....I had done 14.35 in training last week so dissapointed with that. Results show 15.16 as swim and part of the long run into T1 added together.

2.45 TI:eek: - there was a long long run into and out off transition including a hill that had me panting like a dog by the time I got onto the bike. First 5km on the bike a struggle - heart rate through the roof from the swim. First 5km in 12 minutes:o, then settelled and did the last 14kms in 26 mins so a bit better here especially as the road surfaces were sh1te. Only seen one other bike on the course and he was from my wave. He stayed about 200m ahead of me for the whole race. Did bike in 37.53.

Into T2 and quick change out for the run - 1.31 - ehh....like I said transition had a long run in and out. On the run caught a few from the first wave and got close to the lad from my wave but couldn't quite get to him. Felt comfortable on the run but was lacking a bit of pace I thought. Finished run in 23.30 and tbh I think the run course was shorter than last year.

Overall 38th individual finisher which is only 6 places down on last year but overall I was exactly 5 minutes slower. Swim was the same; bike was exactly 2 minutes slower and the run was 1.14 slower. Rest of lost time was longer transitions this year. I'm dissapointed with the swim. I had hoped to get under 14.30 but its my own fault for not concentrating enough on technique. I also made an arse of most of my turns so rather than getting any glide off the walls I was splashing around like a drowned rat at every turn. Bike time was to be expected given how little bike work I've done this year (I only got back on the road for the first time in 6 months a couple of weeks ago:rolleyes:). Run was a dissapointment, I have a reasonable amount of running in my legs but just lacked some pace.

Next up is North Tipp and then the Tri An Mhi Half. I'll need to work hard in the next few weeks to get up to the standard I want to hit in the half. I have bought one of these though so hopefully I'll have a mega swim:D

I swore after last years Joey Hannon and Nenagh the previous year that I would never do another pool based triathlon again. I don't mind getting banged about in the open water but I cant seem to handle swimming in a packed lane

38th overall with over 200 entrants isn't bad plodding at all though

Hey G100 good show in portlaois, you have loads of time to shape up for Vegas and pool based Tris to my experience can be a lottery of a swim. I'll be out to give you whatever roar/kick/slap/joke you need to go faster in North Tipp. Looking forward to watching some suffering for a change :)

BTW if you are worried about your stats, you know what my suggestion is.... SBR Challenge! With a late long distance goal you will rock up the charts this Autumn

• Advertisement

38th overall with over 200 entrants isn't bad plodding at all though
    Cheers CW, but tbh this race is beginner heavy and I should have been better. Now 38th in an NS race I would be happy with;)

BTW if you are worried about your stats, you know what my suggestion is.... SBR Challenge! With a late long distance goal you will rock up the charts this Autumn

hhmmm, maybe I'll wait until my numbers are a bit better.

Advertisement