Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish gun dealers selling pistols

• 12-07-2006 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

Morning all...

Has anyone purchased a pistol yet through a local gunshop? I believe some dealers are importing them singly.

Let me know who you used, and whether it was good value.

I would love to obtain one of those CZ 85s, with the Kadet 22lr adaptor...

thanks,

mosulli4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I got mine from Pat Cooke in Hilltop Quad, near Newtownmountkennedy, County Wicklow (http://www.pcquad.com/).

Price was the same as in the North, converted to Euros of course.
    A little bit dearer than advertised on the German/Continental websites, but I put a fair bit of value on dealing with a real live person over a gun shop counter, and it simplified paperwork/language issues significantly (I speak fluent Wicklish :D).

All else being reasonably equal, I prefer to do business with the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

Outdoor hobby in leixlip tel.01 6104426 and
    Griffen Hawe in Athy , i dont have a phone number,
    Are two ive heard of .
    The Cz is going for about €650-700 and the adapter is roughly the same because you need a seperate cert for it ,its probably a better idea to just get a full .22lr pistol i think some of them are starting at the €300 mark like the Sig. mosquito.
    Jim Halpin in listowel tel.068 22392 i dont know if the's getting pistols but a phone call could find that out.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

Thanks to everyone.

I just had a chat with Outdoor Hobby. Very helpful, and good prices.

Much appreciated.

Mosulli4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[The Cz is going for about €650-700 and the adapter is roughly the same because you need a seperate cert for it ,its probably a better idea to just get a full .22lr pistol i think some of them are starting at the €300 mark like the Sig. mosquito.

Wasnt this supposed to be done away with in the new legislation,or somthing regarding the Sako Quad style rifles??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No CG, the thing about the Quad in the legislation was saying that it wasn't an offence to have one (otherwise, it could be interpreted that changing the barrels on a quad could be a criminal offence as you were changing the calibre of the rifle).

In section 65 of the Bill:
    (4) Subject to subsection (5), it is an offence to modify a firearm so as to render its reloading mechanism fully automatic or to increase its calibre, irrespective of whether the firearm, as so modified, is a restricted firearm.

(5) Subsection (4) does not apply to a firearm designed and manufactured so as to enable barrels of different calibres to be attached to it.

I wonder if (5) there means you could legally modify a Quad or something similar to be automatic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I've bought /I mean paid for a pistol through Outdoor Hobby.
    Very friendly service.... untill I paid up.
    Arrived in with cert, Article (7?) etc. was told, a week to 10 days coming from Germany.
    Rang them 2 weeks later..."eh um... ehh.. nothing yet, we'll ring you back."
    Another week passed.."It's left Germany... should be a few days"
    Currently week 7 "eh... um..... paperworks holding it up, we'll be in touch".

To date they haven't called once even to say, there's no news.
    Couldn't recommend them I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

What benefits does an individual get going to an Irish dealer as a middleman for a European dealer, to justify the dealer's cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Sparks wrote:
    No CG, the thing about the Quad in the legislation was saying that it wasn't an offence to have one (otherwise, it could be interpreted that changing the barrels on a quad could be a criminal offence as you were changing the calibre of the rifle).

In section 65 of the Bill:

I wonder if (5) there means you could legally modify a Quad or something similar to be automatic?

Soory to hijack

One question, aside froma flat out no from the super, what is policy, garda style of course, on getting a SEMI-AUTO rifle in .223????

I don't think there is one yet Newby. There is at least one licenced in the country already though, a H&K SL8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Sparks wrote:
    I don't think there is one yet Newby. There is at least one licenced in the country already though, a H&K SL8.

Right well i guess ill be leaving it at the one then, not worth the hassle!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

for hand guns what is the highest cal.? i was looking at a walther p99 which is a 9mm. and you can get it for $571.99 on impactguns.com, they sell a lot of hand guns and rifles.

another question you are aloud extended clips right? the p99 comes with a 10 rd clip and you can get a 15. the ps90 (civilian semi-auto version of the p-90) comes with a 30 round clip and you can get a 50.

whupass wrote:
    for hand guns what is the highest cal.? i was looking at a walther p99 which is a 9mm. and you can get it for $571.99 on impactguns.com, they sell a lot of hand guns and rifles.
    another question you are aloud extended clips right? the p99 comes with a 10 rd clip and you can get a 15. the ps90 (civilian semi-auto version of the p-90) comes with a 30 round clip and you can get a 50.
    There are no rules on calibre, nor on extended clips. There are several .40s and .45ACPs out there. Don't know of any .50s myself, but there's no law against it. Now, as to what you local superintendent says, that's another ballgame.

And in a few months, it'll be another ballgame all over again with the changes from the CJB.

Sparks wrote:
    There are several .40s and .45ACPs out there. Don't know of any .50s myself,

no i meant a 50 round clip if that is what you were talking about.

ty

P.S. what about buying ammunition for your gun? i guess you can buy it the same place you buy your gun but in bulk? on impact you can get 2,000 9mm for $297.99 what's the law on buying ammunition in bulk?

whupass wrote:
    no i meant a 50 round clip if that is what you were talking about.
    No, I meant calibre. There are several .40 calibre and .45ACP calibre pistols currently licenced, and while I don't know of anyone playing silly buggers and shooting with a desert eagle, there's no law says they can't.
    P.S. what about buying ammunition for your gun? i guess you can buy it the same place you buy your gun but in bulk? on impact you can get 2,000 9mm for $297.99 what's the law on buying ammunition in bulk?
    Your licence tells you how many rounds you can have. Mostly, the licences are granted with a 100 round limit, but that can be changed if you ask and have a decent reason. It's not unusual for smallbore or airgun target shooters to have up to 10,000 rounds on their licence. For fullbore though, that might make a superintendent a tad nervous unless you can show him that you're actually using that much ammunition (as opposed to selling a few hundred rounds to shifty-looking characters down the pub).

Your firearms dealer can get in a multiple of the amount on your licence (2.5 times? 5 times? I can't remember how much), but if you want to buy in bulk for economy, that's not going to help you much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

newby.204 wrote:
    Soory to hijack

One question, aside froma flat out no from the super, what is policy, garda style of course, on getting a SEMI-AUTO rifle in .223????

Proably falls under the "idonlikedelookodat" guidelines.And now under CJB there is the thing that it is the comissioners decision as to what is a restricted firearm,and that you have to prove that only that type of weapon will be suitable for your paticular needs.So say,you want an AR15,you will proably have to prove membership of a practical rifle club,and that the 15 is the most suitable rifle for the job[which it would be] but no doubt Supt Oaf will say a single shot 303 will be in his/her opinion a much better rifle,like it or lump it,or maybe insist you have a 308FN Fal as that is an army gun[In that case dontc argue with them :eek: ].but would you get said AR15 or FN FAL for hunting???Big question.

Wouldnt be much point Sparks in converting a Sako Quad to automatic,as it is a bolt action.But if you were upgrading a 223 straight pull AR15 to semi or up to 243 or308.Then it is a possibility.

what would be your reason for the ps90 short barrel fifle?

somethig like " it has to be short so i can fit it in the case i swear!!"??

Proably falls under the "idonlikedelookodat" guidelines.And now under CJB there is the thing that it is the comissioners decision as to what is a restricted firearm,and that you have to prove that only that type of weapon will be suitable for your paticular needs.
    Exactly.
    Wouldnt be much point Sparks in converting a Sako Quad to automatic,as it is a bolt action.
    Thanks CG, I did know that :D What I meant was, is there something similar to a Quad but in semi?
    But if you were upgrading a 223 straight pull AR15 to semi or up to 243 or308.Then it is a possibility.
    Can't be an upgrade, it has to be designed for it, like the quad. Otherwise it's not covered.

Sparks wrote:
    Can't be an upgrade, it has to be designed for it, like the quad. Otherwise it's not covered.
    Hmmm...
    I wonder where the CZ KADET Adaptor fits into all this?
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=1&ids=5&idz=19&lang=en

It's a .22LR adaptor specifically designed for their 75/85 range of pistols.

.22 lr is tiny right?

well i'm the kind of person who wants a bigger handgun than that, i think that if i had a .22 hand gun i wouldn't be as happy with it as a 9mm

also i didn't think handguns were made in that cal. it is the one used in most rifles right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Whupass, would I be right in guessing that any sort of firearms cert is some years distant in the future for you?

• Advertisement

2 months

whupass wrote:
    .22 lr is tiny right?

well i'm the kind of person who wants a bigger handgun than that, i think that if i had a .22 hand gun i wouldn't be as happy with it as a 9mm

also i didn't think handguns were made in that cal. it is the one used in most rifles right?
    Exactly the same .22LR as is made and used in vast quantities all around the world, and was for all practical purposes the only (rifle) calibre available here for many years. Huge numbers of handguns are manufactured in the calibre, in semi-automatic, revolvers, and single shot.
    I'm sure someone will be able to educate me, but I don't know of any handgun maker who doesn't do something in .22LR.

Rovi wrote:
    Hmmm...
    I wonder where the CZ KADET Adaptor fits into all this?
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=1&ids=5&idz=19&lang=en
    It's a .22LR adaptor specifically designed for their 75/85 range of pistols.
    Not affected Rovi: article (5) says "it is an offence to modify a firearm so as to ... increase its calibre". So if you put in the Kadet adaptor, you decrease the calibre; and if you take it out, you have the firearm you're licenced for in the first place. (Taking out the adapter doesn't mean that the adapter itself increases the calibre, in other words, so you couldn't have a situation where putting it in was legal, but taking it out wasn't).
    whupass wrote:
    .22 lr is tiny right?
    Sure, till it hits you. Then it's not so tiny anymore.
    Yeesh. And yet, that's a very popular viewpoint it seems. Who cares where the bullet hit, how loud was that bang? :D

i don't think fn does they even only make .308 rifles (as far as i know)

FN do a lot more than .308 rifles whupass.

well i went onto impact guns(yes it is the only place i know okok please suggest somewhere else to buy guns) and the only fnn RIFLES they had were .308 oh wait no they had 1 .300WSM (which is?)

Sparks wrote:
    FN do a lot more than .308 rifles whupass.
    But he is correct in that they don't (appear to) do a .22LR pistol.

Would I be stretching things a bit so suggest that the Five-seveN is technically the same diameter as .22LR?
    :D

whupass wrote:
    well i went onto impact guns(yes it is the only place i know okok please suggest somewhere else to buy guns) and the only fnn RIFLES they had were .308 oh wait no they had 1 .300WSM (which is?)
    Winchester Short Magnum.

Loads of FN stuff- http://www.fnhusa.com/

Rovi wrote:
    But he is correct in that they don't (appear to) do a .22LR pistol.
    True. I thought they used to make a browning .22 pistol though?
    Would I be stretching things a bit so suggest that the Five-seveN is technically the same diameter as .22LR?
    :D
    Yes :D

• Advertisement

there was one pistol that they sold accesories for but it itself was discontinued maybe that is it?

Advertisement