Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭CucaFace

:rolleyes: Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on AH in quite a while!
    latenia wrote: »
    In the history of soccer, maybe a couple of hundred. In the history of GAA, zero. I reckon you could take any Premiership or Championship soccer squad, give them a month or two training and they would win the All-Ireland at a canter.

Duckworth_Luas you spoke too early. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Chips Ahoy wrote: »
    Haha no way would they win it with 2 months training
    Of couse they would, and the Rugby World Cup and the Stanley Cup too! Even if they'd never seen American Football they'd win a Superbowl. Sure even if they had no arms they'd still win the World Series. Supermen they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

In the history of soccer, maybe a couple of hundred. In the history of GAA, zero. I reckon you could take any Premiership or Championship soccer squad, give them a month or two training and they would win the All-Ireland at a canter.

And you know this how!!??

The daftest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jacknory

They wouldn't have the fitness or be able for the "physical nature" of the game........even Arsene Wenger couldn't believe how fit GAA players were to the extend that he invited Graham Geraghty over London to meet his team. Win the all-ireland at a canter :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Greatest amateur sports organisation in the world.

Thank god it doesn't normally attract the scumbag fans you see at soccer games. Can go to any ground in Ireland without intimidation (unless you look for it!)

The GAA have the best stadium in Ireland and that's a credit to an amateur organisation.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/two-found-guilty-of-assault-croke-park-final-3037630.html
    Two found guilty of assault Croke Park final

Thursday March 01 2012

TWO men have been found guilty of assaulting the referee at the end of a controversial Croke Park clash between Louth and Meath in the summer of 2010.

Joseph Conlon, 23, Haggardstown, Dundalk and Paul Grimes, 50, Willowdale Bay Estate, Dundalk had denied the charges. They were fined €1,000 each.

Judge Bridget Reilly rejected defence claims that the men had no case to answer because referee Martin Sludden withdrew his complaint.

Mr Sludden was attacked by Louth fans after he allowed Meath a goal in the closing seconds of the GAA’s Leinster Senior Football Final, which was decided n Meath’s favour by a controversial goal.

I know this isnt the most serious of forums but your post is so wrong i had to reply. The GAA is the most community centred organisation in ireland.
    They accept people no matter where they are from. As a case and point the wexford under 21 footballers had a lad called lee chin playing for them the other night against dublin. If the GAA are xenophobic how do you explain that?

The GAA has shown itself to be the most bigotted, petty minded sports organisation.

Its' history is littered with crap like The Ban whereby grown meant went to watch other sports and if they saw other GAA members there, they'd write their names down in a little book and run back to the local clubhouse and rat on them.

Real f***ing hard men, eh? :rolleyes:

And then there are its very close links to the child rapists of the Catholic church, even allowing some RC bishops to throw the ball in at a match while kitted out in their religious dresses. How open minded is that towards those of other religions and none? :rolleyes:

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned how some "foreign" sports were banned from their ground (like football and rugby) while others like boxing and American football were more than welcome. Nice bit of hypocrisy there....

And then there is the ban they imposed on certain Irish people from being involved in their sports.....

Inclusive? Community minded?

You must be joking.

The GAA simply reflects everything about small minded Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The GAA has shown itself to be the most bigotted, petty minded sports organisation.

Its' history is littered with crap like The Ban whereby grown meant went to watch other sports and if they saw other GAA members there, they'd write their names down in a little book and run back to the local clubhouse and rat on them.

And then there are its very close links to the child rapists of the Catholic church, even allowing some RC bishops to throw the ball in at a match while kitted out in their religious dresses. How open minded is that towards those of other religions and none? :rolleyes:

You do know that both of these things haven't happened for decades. The ban was revoked in 1971, over forty years ago. Perhaps you're the one living in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/two-found-guilty-of-assault-croke-park-final-3037630.html

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned how some "foreign" sports were banned from their ground (like football and rugby) while others like boxing and American football were more than welcome. Nice bit of hypocrisy there....

And then there is the ban they imposed on certain Irish people from being involved in their sports.....

You must be joking.

Stop living in the past the game has moved on from those days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Stop living in the past the game has moved on from those days.

You don't think young lads are pressured into playing GAA?

You must be joking.

Ha Ha Zebra3. that made me laugh!! Your digging up stuff from 50 years or more! The country has developed a small bit since then!! All sports has its bad side.

The GAA built a stadium everyone wanted to play in. Was the kick in the arse the IRFU and FAI needed to upgrade their stadium. If the GAA allowed all other sports to play in croker years ago I wonder would the new landsdowne road have ever happened!!?

Explain the last point please!?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

No , i live in mayo never really played gaa underage only soccer never got any hassle about that.

• Advertisement

You must be joking.

No Catholic could play for Glasgow Rangers at one stage.

No Black players could play for south Africa at one point in Rugby.

It has existed in all sports at one point i would say.

Who puts pressure on young people to play GAA?? Parents? teachers? trainers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

suppose i have to row in here and say a few things.

1) sport is sport, why do people (mainly GAA heads in my experience) feel they need to put down/ look down on other sports as being for pansies, not a mans sport etc... i just don't get
    2) from playing the 3 sports in question 2 at high level (lenister Senior League and inter county) and rugby at underage level
    I personally found soccer the most difficult set of skills to learn/perfect, controlling the ball at you feet is just more difficult than you hands. movement special awareness and positional sense also are just slight more important that the other sports.
    I would put Gaelic as second (not far behind soccer) again the main difference in difficulty is you control the ball with you hands as opposed to foot and accuracy of kicking. Soccer you need to be weight your passes better than in football.
    3) would come rugby, i admit i haven’t played this at any level but other than the no 10 it basically running as fast as you can and tackling, admirable skills but just not near as difficult as the other 2 sports mentioned

Hurling is the greatest sport on the planet. I love bringing foreign friends to championship matches, it blows their minds. The multiple skills involved eclipses any other sport I can think of.

Gaelic football on the other hand is a load of bollocks. Boring, laborious, monotonous swill.

Who puts pressure on young people to play GAA?? Parents? teachers? trainers?

i agree, its where does pressure come from. othe rthan a parent bringing a young child to a sport i see no pressure to play GAA over soccer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Don't forget your duvet.
    Don't forget to milk de cows.

seanmc1980 wrote: »

1) sport is sport, why do people (mainly GAA heads in my experience) feel they need to put down/ look down on other sports as being for pansies, not a mans sport etc... i just don't get

Not saying that doesn't happen but look at this thread, any other thread in AH about GAA or the numerous trolls who pop into the GAA forum. The sheer bile and hatred over a sport from its detractors.

Seems far more weighted in the other way tbh.

Haha no way would they win it with 2 months training

i would disagree to an extent. maaybe not a full team to win an all ireland but a lot of the skill in soccer help with gaelic. so a premier league player with far superior fitness level and speed could potentially pick up the basics of GAA in a few month a be competitive in GAA at inter county scene.

c_man wrote: »
    Not saying that doesn't happen but look at this thread, any other thread in AH about GAA or the numerous trolls who pop into the GAA forum. The sheer bile and hatred over a sport from its detractors.

Seems far more weighted in the other way tbh.

yeah i can see a lot of bile from both ends here, but from my experence i have never been slagged off in a pub for playing Gaelic but on numerious occasions i've been for playing soccer.
    maybe its a different demographic on boards but that my experence.

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    i would disagree to an extent. maaybe not a full team to win an all ireland but a lot of the skill in soccer help with gaelic. so a premier league player with far superior fitness level and speed could potentially pick up the basics of GAA in a few month a be competitive in GAA at inter county scene.

They would not be used to catching and tackling and also shooting with a man trying to block them down with their hands, any skill advantages would be lost IMO and they would get well beaten by any half decent team.

Obviosly if they were young and had a few years of training then they would win as to make it as a Premier league footballer puts you in a far higher bracket of abiility of sportsman as you are really in the top % of millions of players unlike GAA and also unlike Rugby.

This has the makings of a very good new reality TV show.

All we need is about 250m pounds to cover the wages of the footballers while they train for years before they play in the championship. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Abi wrote: »
    Don't forget to milk de cows.

No cows around here, will I try milking a few cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,950 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You can milk anything with nipples, there Mick. As long as it's female.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Cat beats rat, as the saying goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Well the cabbage and spuds won't wash itself down.

CucaFace wrote: »
    They would not be used to catching and tackling and also shooting with a man trying to block them down with their hands, any skill advantages would be lost IMO and they would get well beaten by any half decent team.

Obviosly if they were young and had a few years of training then they would win as to make it as a Premier league footballer puts you in a far higher bracket of abiility of sportsman as you are really in the top % of millions of players unlike GAA and also unlike Rugby.

This has the makings of a very good new reality TV show.

All we need is about 250m pounds to cover the wages of the footballers while they train for years before they play in the championship. :D

i agree with you, a team couldn't,
    but i do think a soccer player could play gealic at inter county with a few months training.
    As you said the main area needing work on would be catching but i feel tackling (contray to popular opinion soccer is a touch tacking game) and shooting would no problem

great reality show idea alright. Naill Qiunn could host it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Abi wrote: »
    Well the cabbage and spuds won't wash itself down.

Hmm... I'm not doing very well here, I don't have any cabbage either. I do have potatoes but they're pre-washed. I could wash them again?

Or lettuce? What about lettuce? I have some lettuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭overshoot

Its' history is littered with crap ...............

You must be joking.

zebra seriously if your going to go back 50 years... belfast celtic, derry city(half that) on this island, i could go on but lets face it they really stick out
    McTigs wrote: »
    This too

I think the GAA as an organisation breeds terratorialism, xenaphobia and the worst kind of irish inward looking narrow mindedness
    thought id dig this up from the first page... utter joke... ever see the rugby forum... soccer forum.. suppose thats just rivalry not terratorialism:rolleyes:

never got why people have a go at other sports, if you dont like them thats your fucking problem! dont go around trying to break out tactics, skill, fitness, technical ability as reasons that make your favourite better. all sports contain a mix of these all come to the fore in different levels per position nevermind the damn sport! you might aswell compare brian o'driscoll and mike ross, shay given and roy keane, stephen cluxton and colm cooper as gaelic games, rugby, association football... i even see F1 getting a mention (ross brawn v adrian newey v whatever driver you want)
    anyway bring on the start of the LOI tonight:D (and seen as i cant make the match fans radio and the rugby on the tv:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Wouldnt claim to be a huge GAA fan as I don't go to the games and havent played it since school, I'd be more of an armchair fan and would follow the championship quite closely once it comes around. An Irish summer wouldn't be the same without it.

It would probably be my third favourite sport to watch on telly after soccer and golf, theres very little else I'd be interested in after those sports tbh.

So in summary......UP LIMERICK! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Jacknory wrote: »
    Soccer (football to west brits)

its football, the governing body is FIFA ...International Federation of Association Football :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

fryup wrote: »
    its football, the governing body is FIFA ...International Federation of Association Football :P
    Association Football it is then, or soccer for short! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement