Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Picking up a "bangernomics" Saab - Crazy idea?

• 27-02-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm getting married next year and the other half is insane about Saabs (early 9-3's and older).

Renting a wedding car is gonna cost 3/400 for something nice for the day so I've been wondering: would I be better off trying to pick up a 900/93 for a grand or so and either keeping it for a few months and flipping it relatively quickly or just running it into the ground?

I'm assuming a Saab's running costs would be high given that they're big (in Irish terms) petrol engines, high tax band and guessing they're expensive enough to maintain so not a great "bangernomics" car.

Any thoughts? (other than that my other half has strange tastes: how many girls would want a Saab over a vintage roller? Then again, it's kind of a given since she's marrying me!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Sounds a bit excessive (buying for a one off use).

See what Hertz etc have in stock.

If you are going for it then do your homework - there are a few things to look out for - been commented on here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think I'll be about due to change the car then anyway (currently driving a very cheap Corolla that's approaching 200k) and the thought was more that rather than spending 300 to rent something, put that towards the cost of getting something else...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Good to know I am not the only crazy one. This year my insurance for 2litre turbo saab (over 180hp) would be around 400E, so i am tempted to drive proper car. Tax isn't much of an issue (what i save on insurance, pay to the taxman), reliability and maintenance costs may be higher, but with my mileage(10-12k miles/year), i dont think it is big risk. Nice idea, lot of them on donedeal at the moment, and hope to pick one up very soon. Are you looking for coupe, or saloon? You may consider yourself very lucky to met women insane about this kind of car. Lucky you.

I'd like a coupé but with 2 kids I think a 4 door saloon would probably make more sense. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

If found one under 1000eur with NCT and low milage, why not buy it.

This is 650eur
    Milage 64k
    NCT
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2870215
    Full-9356276.jpeg

• Advertisement

It's a bit early for me, wedding's not until Feb 2013 but that's pretty much the idea: buy her close to the wedding and sell her within 6-12 months of it at as low a loss as possible resulting in the use of the car for the few months being rougly the same price as it'd have been to rent something!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think the idea's sound, but it'll be critical that you find the right car. Here's another one with potential - a 9-5 this time: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201205206806343

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

if you don't know what you're looking at for have some one with you that does, don't bother.

Oh, I'd intend to get a mechanic friend to take a look at anything before I handed over cash.

Suppose I was mainly looking to see if anyone had positive experiences with a Saab as a bangernomics car. Most of the time I see it being done, it's with cheaper to maintain marques like Toyota etc.

• Advertisement

As well as buying it getting it ship shape for the day (fairly detailed valet required and you'll probably not have time to do it yourself) might cost a few quid too, as well as having to by a fairly minty one. Seems quite a bit of hassle to save €300 tbh.

Oh, believe me, I'll be valeting myself!

The point isn't so much to save €300 as to get better use out of the spend ;)

Advertisement