Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White skirting and doors with cream walls?

• 12-08-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey

I'm looking for a bit of advice, or even just opinions. Currently my house is base coat white. I'm planning on painting it all cream. It's a small house and I dont want to make look any smaller by painting it a dark colour or adding feature walls etc.

But I need to paint all the skirting and doors white. Reason being that some of the door frames are old door frames that I cant feasibly remove layers of paint from. The paint has stained into the wood over the years. Also the wood is mostly of a cheap poor quality that wouldnt look great varnished.

Long story long, would white skirting and doors be to much with cream walls? Has anyone done this or have then seen any examples?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hey

I'm looking for a bit of advice, or even just opinions. Currently my house is base coat white. I'm planning on painting it all cream. It's a small house and I dont want to make look any smaller by painting it a dark colour or adding feature walls etc.

But I need to paint all the skirting and doors white. Reason being that some of the door frames are old door frames that I cant feasibly remove layers of paint from. The paint has stained into the wood over the years. Also the wood is mostly of a cheap poor quality that wouldnt look great varnished.

Long story long, would white skirting and doors be to much with cream walls? Has anyone done this or have then seen any examples?

Thanks in advance

Builder/painter finished our house in eggshell deal skirting,white oak doors and a crown cream white colour on the walls.Kitchen was painted in a Magnolia colour....standard builders finish.

It was nice enough,but we didnt like the entire house painted like that,as we like lots of different contrasting colours.:)

But eggshell skirting,eggshell doors and cream/magnolia walls does look nice enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

paddy147 wrote: »
    Builder/painter finished our house in eggshell deal skirting,white oak doors and a crown cream white colour on the walls.Kitchen was painted in a Magnolia colour....standard builders finish.

It was nice enough,but we didnt like the entire house painted like that,as we like lots of different contrasting colours.:)

But eggshell skirting,eggshell doors and cream/magnolia walls does look nice enough.

Thanks alot for the feedback Paddy. I guess the only way to tell is to do up a sample area. Im think you might be right on using several different colours as well. I'm sure a taupe or something wont make rooms look any smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

We've something similar in some rooms in our house. The walls are cream white and the skirting, coving and doors are 'Brilliant White'. The sitting room has a lot of light copming in so liked the bright feeling in there. The other rooms don't have as much natural light in them so we wanted brighter paint so the rooms didn't feel dark.

The bedrooms....go wild! :)

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

My entire apartment has cream walls and white skirting boards & doors. It actually works quite well for me, although I suppose it would also depend on the shade of cream being used too.
    My mother likened my decor to a vanilla icecream & whipped cream colour scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

We've something similar in some rooms in our house. The walls are cream white and the skirting, coving and doors are 'Brilliant White'. The sitting room has a lot of light copming in so liked the bright feeling in there. The other rooms don't have as much natural light in them so we wanted brighter paint so the rooms didn't feel dark.

The bedrooms....go wild!

I'm thinking now a couple of the walls, or even a room or two, can get a light grey or taupe.
    My entire apartment has cream walls and white skirting boards & doors. It actually works quite well for me, although I suppose it would also depend on the shade of cream being used too.
    My mother likened my decor to a vanilla icecream & whipped cream colour scheme!

Thanks so much for the replies guys I guess the only thing is to test a couple of walls and see how it looks. By the sounds of it, shouldn't be a problem though.

When I get this done I will post up a few before and after pics to this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement