Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a sit up bench

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Have you considered use a floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Have you considered use a floor?

I dont understand your grammar.....please try again!!

Anyone with any useful replies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Will this be used for anything other than sit-ups?
    Whats your expected goals from using this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

are these benches not a bit of a gimmick? You can do hundreds of different abs exercises on the floor, (crunches, obliques, leg raises, v sits, etc) but would be seriously restricted using this no?

I had a lower back injury a few years back. so using a floor is out as it aggravates my lower back. I want to use something with padding and a mat doesn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Wouldn't a bench put more strain on your back, especially if you have it angled? If you can't lie on the floor, try plank based exercises on the floor. You are wasting money and space to get a bench IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

frag420 wrote: »
    I had a lower back injury a few years back. so using a floor is out as it aggravates my lower back. I want to use something with padding and a mat doesn't Harlow either.

I don't know of any benches that "Harlow".

How embarrassing given your previous condescending remark.

Got in before your ninja edit.

I don't know of any benches that "Harlow".

How embarrassing given your previous condescending remark.

Got in before your ninja edit.

Shinobi!!

So now that the dust has settled.............can anyone recommend a bench I could use for the reasons outlined above?

Pretty please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

So now that the dust has settled.............can anyone recommend a bench I could use for the reasons outlined above?

Pretty please?

I don't have any recommendations, but for real; if you're getting lower back pain from doing sit-ups on the floor with a mat then maybe sit-ups are not for you - at least not without guidance from a proper, qualified coach. Sit-ups are really not all that great of an exercise that'd be worth the chance of exacerbating an existing back condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pretty please?

If sit ups on the floor hurt you back then avoid sit-ups completely. A bench isn't going resolve the issue. The pain is down your sit-up form putting strain on lower back not the lack of a pad.

Do a leg raises progression, and/or strict form planks.

Guys I do appreciate the advice but if someone can recommend a bench without telling me to use the floor, not do sit ups etc it would be greatly appreciated.........

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thevillaman

The best sit up machine that you'll ever use is your bodyweight.
    Set up machines are just a waste of money. Don't get me wrong.
    I bought 5 of them. And ended up selling them on adverts

Torros Pro33 Sit Up Bench is a good make

Torros Pro33 Sit Up Bench

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I've had lower back issues myself so I can tell you first hand that a sit up bench or floor sit ups will aggravate the injury. Especially a bench. Use a Swiss excersise, planks and leg raises

Advertisement