Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Issues

• 30-10-2012 7:17pm
    Site Banned Posts: 42

I've had a pretty bad experience with Parcel Motel. It seemed like a great idea in the bargain alerts and I signed up and went onto amazon which they pushed as the ideal partner site to use as their delivery costs can be a bit too much for Ireland. I'm not at home during the day and getting stuff delivered to work isnt' always the easiest.

I followed the website instructions and noted that they had differenct sizes of parcel boxes with the extra large suites able to accomdate games console sized items under 10Kg. I ordered a wireless keyboard which came well within all the size limits and was only 1Kg. This was the actual product box size and weight for the item. Even with added amazon packaging it should have still been well below liimts.
    A got a text saying my delivery was delayed due to funds lacking. An 1890 phone call later (no local number so money wasted) and it turns out that my package was oversize and that it woudl cost e10.50 to send to another address. So that is e15 for delivery of a 1KG item from the UK. It would have cost half that if I ordered direct from amazon and I would have had it today and not in 2 days time.

BEWARE: These size limits are very misleading. Unless you are in the packing room of amazon you have no idea what size the package is. The suite size boxes are clearly too small for lots of items and you run the risk of having to delay your package and costing you huge money to deliver. Parcel Motel don't really care as it suits them to charge me 10.50 to send an item accross Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Oversized/Overweight Items
    The largest Parcel Motel locker size is 41 X 38 X 64 cm. The maximum weight is 10kgs.
    If your parcel does not fit in the Parcel Motel, we will notify you and make alternative arrangements. The charges below will apply
    Service
    Under 25kgs
    Over 25Kgs
    Pickup at Nightline Depot Finglas by you, or a third party courier*

*the courier must have your name and PMID in order to collect your parcel.
    This is covered by the €3.50 Parcel Motel charge per parcel.
    In addition to the €3.50 Parcel Motel charge, there is a supplement of €3.50 per 10kgs (over the 25kgs) or part thereof per parcel.
    Delivery to an alternative address-
    Any address in Ireland including Northern Ireland. International prices available - please call 1890 24 17 17 for quote.
    A supplement of €10.50 in addition to the €3.50 Parcel Motel charge, so €14.00 in total per parcel.
    A supplement of €10.50 in addition to the €3.50 Parcel Motel charge plus €7.00 per 10kgs (over the 25kgs) or part thereof per parcel.
    All of the above prices include VAT and the weight refers to the Dimensional (this is sometimes called Volumetric) weight of your parcel.
    Where dimensional weight exceeds actual weight you will be charged based on the dimensional weight of your parcel. To calculate the dimensional weight of your parcel(s) multiply the dimensions of each parcel in cm then divide by 3000.
    Dimensional weight example calculation
    Length X Width X Height in cm = Dimensional Weight
    For example, if you collect an oversized parcel weighing 20kgs from the Nightline Finglas depot, you will not have to pay anything other than the original Parcel Motel charge of €3.50.
    If you collect an oversized parcel weighing 30kgs you will be charged €7.00.
    If you ask us to deliver a parcel weighing 20kgs to your house, we will charge you €14.00
    If you ask us to deliver a parcel weighing 30kgs, we will charge you €21.00

First thing is first, did you check the size of your parcel with Amazon before ordering ?

https://www.parcelmotel.com/how-it-works/pricing-explained/

• Site Banned Posts: 42 MikeMichael

You can't check the size of the parcel. The boxed item size was well withing limits as it was.
    I'm just saying the service is far less useful than they let on or that I was lead to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

You can't check the size of the parcel. The boxed item size was well withing limits as it was.
    I'm just saying the service is far less useful than they let on or that I was lead to believe.

You're 100% in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

It may be helpful to point out how the poster is wrong, rather than just state that they are wrong, in fairness.

Feel free to enlighten me.

I ordered two items through amazon and I couldn't even get them to sent them in the same package despite chosing this option. So how can I confirm the final dimensions of an item before I order? If you get this right you win a 3.50 parcel motel voucher.

Anyway, I spent 12 quid on a five pound amazon delivery and that was with two complimentary parcel motel vouchers. And I don't even have my keyboard yet and have to type this on a tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I ordered two items through amazon and I couldn't even get them to sent them in the same package despite chosing this option. So how can I confirm the final dimensions of an item before I order? If you get this right you win a 3.50 parcel motel voucher.

Anyway, I spent 12 quid on a five pound amazon delivery and that was with two complimentary parcel motel vouchers. And I don't even have my keyboard yet and have to type this on a tablet.

Contacting Amazon customer service for starters.

Great idea, on the phone now. They have no idea what I'n on about and are getting a manager. Tthis would be fun to do for every multiple item order.

nummnutts wrote: »
    It may be helpful to point out how the poster is wrong, rather than just state that they are wrong, in fairness.
    Parcel Motel have no control over the size of packaging Amazon or anyone use's. If OP was familar with amazon they should have known the risk; if OP was not familar with Amazon large packaging then it's a lessen learned.
    The thread in BA the OP referred to in which OP claims to be misled raises the issue with the amazon packaging
    many times.

I ordered two items through amazon and I couldn't even get them to sent them in the same package despite chosing this option.
    this is an consumer issue between you and amazon

Pity they wouldn't raise the same issues in their how to use section of parcel motel. Very convenient for them. Completely pointless service with those risks involved.

• Advertisement

Pity they wouldn't raise the same issues in their how to use section of parcel motel. Very convenient for them. Completely pointless service with those risks involved.
    sour grapes; you made a mistake and are trying to blame PM

this is an consumer issue between you and amazon

I know and I was using it to show how I have no control over packaging with amazon. So you would agree then that parcel motel should not be used with amazon or any other site that has variable packaging size?

No, parcel motel completely mis sold their service to try and catch people like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Drop their veried rep a pm on here. Its Parcel Motel: Orla as far as I know. She can respond to you on this thread if you make her aware of your issues

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I know and I was using it to show how I have no control over packaging with amazon. So you would agree then that parcel motel should not be used with amazon or any other site that has variable packaging size?

No, parcel motel completely mis sold their service to try and catch people like me.

PM told you what sizes are acceptable - It's on their website.
    You ordered an item that fell outside of this.
    It's not their fault that YOUR package was oversized.

Suite (large) 41 X 38 X 64 cm (For larger items such as small kitchen appliances and games consoles)

They tell me I can order games consoles. They tell me I can order from amazon and give me instructions on how to do this.

They don't tell you that is not possible to know the package size. Again I say it is a pointless service.

Suite (large) 41 X 38 X 64 cm (For larger items such as small kitchen appliances and games consoles)

They tell me I can order games consoles. They tell me I can order from amazon and give me instructions on how to do this.

They never said order games consoles, they are size references.
    You can order from amazon, many people have - successfully.
    They don't tell you that is not possible to know the package size. Again I say it is a pointless service.

PM have nothing to do with the packaging sizes that amazon use.
    It's an amazon issue you have here, not a PM issue.

Mis-leading thread title.

So you agree that you should not use amazon with parcel motel?

I disagree.
    Definitely use amazon with PM - Make sure to follow the guidelines, you didn't because you got a package that was too big.

F1ngers wrote: »
    I disagree.
    Definitely use amazon with PM - Make sure to follow the guidelines, you didn't because you got a package that was too big.

So how do you make sure amazon use a package that fits with parcel motel? You can't. So you are talking nonsense.

• Advertisement

He's giving you the F1ngers MikeMichael

So how do you make sure amazon use a package that fits with parcel motel? You can't. So you are talking nonsense.

How is it PMs fault though?
    They have no control over amazons packing dimensions.

So you agree that you should not use amazon wtih this service. If that is the case then parcel motel should not be promoting the use of amazon on their site unless they have much clearer warnings about the risks..

So you agree that you should not use amazon wtih this service. If that is the case then parcel motel should not be promoting the use of amazon on their site unless they have much clearer warnings about the risks..

Yes, I agree...You should not use PM - as you are unable to see quite clearly that there are dimensions allowed and warnings about not meeting those dimensions - all available on their website.
    What amazon do has nothing to do with PM.

Everyone else that understands how this works, should use amazon with PM.

But you risk spending 15 quid on delivery. My hit rate is 100% for this for a small enough item so I won't ever be using them again. Its worth spreadking the word and alerting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Used pm with amazon 10 times now and will continue to do so, no problems whatsoever even with Amazon's oversized packing, the only downside I see is with amazon split dispatching orders which can cost more than 1 stay in pm so you need to be mind full of what your ordering but that's not parcel motels fault, great service can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's a risk you take when ordering. If you want to avoid in contact the seller before purchase and ask about their packaging.

What would the direct postage to Ireland have been for the item, if they shipped to Ireland?

How? They give their excepted dimensions on the site and also say they'll contact you if it doesn't fit, the pricing page says it'll cost €14 to have it delivered if it doesn't fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

We'd just like to clarify our position on some of the points raised in this thread. If and item is oversized but less that 25kgs (actual or dimenstional weight) it can be collected from our depot in Finglas (and soon our other depots nationwide) at no additional charge. In the case being discussed here the user could have picked up the parcel for the standard €3.50 charge (or free if there are still free credits on the customer account).

Delivery of an oversized item is an OPTIONAL extra and our delivery charge is €10.50 including VAT up to 25kgs. Full details of our prices can be found on our web site https://www.parcelmotel.com/how-it-works/pricing-explained/

Nowhere on our website or literature so we promote any retailer as an "ideal partner". The Amazon example is used only for the purposes of illustrating how a customer should enter their delivery address and PMID. One of the many great features of Parcel Motel is that you can use it as a delivery method from most online retailers. It gives the customer a wide choice of sites from which they can purchase. We don't promote one retailer over another, we have no role in that area.

We have tried to explain this as clearly as possible on our website and in our How It Works video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjahAXCWG8E

Hope this helps explain how we work. If you have any questions we'd love to talk to you, please email us at customerservice@parcelmotel.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I recently purchased something from Amazon and had it delivered via Parcel Motel. Personally I was extremely happy with the service.

In my case I had ordered an item which would not ship to an Irish address so I availed of the option of entering the Parcel Motel Antrim address. So nevermind using the service to get free or reduced shipping, if not for Parcel Motel I wouldn't have been able to recieve my item at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭eirman

I purchased a Lifetime Map Update for my Garmin Satnav from Amazon.

When it arrived, it was in a flat parcel that would not fit to my external mailbox (which easily takes hefty A4 envelopes and magazines).

When I opened the package, all it contained was a small card with a number printed on it !!!!

Advertisement