Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diabetic food shop

• 21-09-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

hi i was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a diabetic food shop in ireland or any supermarket or shop that have a good range of diabetic products available, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Diabetics eat exactly the same food as everyone else, there is no need to pay more for diabetic foods. The supposed diabetic foods are potentially bad for you with the substitutes that they put in them as sweeteners, although I'll not claim to know what any of them are.

Just buy healthy normal food from any regular supermarket, but probably try and cut down on the overly sugary things if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

robinph wrote: »
    Diabetics eat exactly the same food as everyone else, there is no need to pay more for diabetic foods. The supposed diabetic foods are potentially bad for you with the substitutes that they put in them as sweeteners, although I'll not claim to know what any of them are.

Just buy healthy normal food from any regular supermarket, but probably try and cut down on the overly sugary things if at all possible.

I second the above. If you check every diabetes website they will ALL tell you to stay away from foods labelled "Diabetic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

graflynn wrote: »
    I second the above. If you check every diabetes website they will ALL tell you to stay away from foods labelled "Diabetic"

Plus it can taste really bad. If you're going to eat a square of chocolate, eat a normal Cadbury's or Galaxy square.. the Boots range of diabetic chocolate couldn't taste less like chocolate! Or just stay away from the choc altogether ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I would agree with all the above. Just eat normal healthy food. You can recognise this by the fact it normally tastes of cardboard. Sorry that just came out. Just dont like salads or veg. Feel like im 5 and arguing with my mother again. Fruit and veg good(i STILL cant believe it) just stay away from processed foods in general. The normal stuff seems to add sugar to bulk it up cheaply while the diabetic stuff adds fructose which tends to leave the digestive system with some speed as far as i can tell. Most big supermarkets tesco dunnes etc have a range and most health food shops carry some too though all seem to be mainly chocolate(THANK YOU GOD!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dd2283

thanks for all the replies, will just stick to the normal healthy diet and eat normal things low in sugar, cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement