Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

• 20-04-2008 2:11am
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There are a lot of threads here looking for advice on building a cheap gaming PC so I thought it would be good to make a series of guide systems with the best bang for buck components available...

So, First up is the 500 euro Gaming PC!

The CPU will reach 3ghz with some very easy overclocking
    2gigs of PC2-8000 memory lots of OC headroom and good performance
    750i motherboard gives option of SLI
    9600gt 512mb Great value and will play every modern game just fine
    500gig HDD
    DVD-RW drive
    Decent 650watt PSU future proof and ready for SLI or upgrade to Quad etc
    500%20euro%20PC.JPG

Shop : www.hardwareversand.de very reliable, shipping to Ireland is 30 euro

I assumed you have an existing case / OS / peripherals

Overall its a great system and seen as it has an SLI motherboard you can add a second 9600gt later for a huge boost in performance (allmost the performance of the flagship 9800GX2 in some cases)

Recommended upgrades:

8800gt Much better graphics card worth the extra 20 euro

Recommended Monitor:

22"
    20"
    19"

Recommended peripherals:

Razer DeathAdder Mouse

Logitech Slim Keyboard

That's it! You will be owning noobs in no time, have fun :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

keyboard on HW ...no..no

unless you like UMLAUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm going to sticky this; people can add their own systems as they see fit to the thread. Building a gaming machine on a budget seems to be one of the most prominent questions on the forum.

Here's another example of a budget build, capable of playing the latest games at high settings on a 17 to 19" monitor with no difficulty....the 8800GTS, especially this OC edition, is more then capable of keeping up with the 9600GT at those resolution. More specifically:

Grand Total: 370 euro.

-User is not concerned with future upgrades and immediately futureproofing, but instead builds a system only once every so often and the power supply is adequate provided it can power your hardware choices with no problems and the machine can play current games at high settings and modest to high resolution.

-User is not concerned with Sli

-User is only concerned in so far as the machine is built with solid, reliable parts

Of course, you would have to overclock to really ramp up performance, but at 2ghz stock, a few extra hundred mhz will see you fine.

untitled-5.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

papu wrote: »
    keyboard on HW ...no..no

unless you like UMLAUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i liken das umlauts!

Nice build Terror, Since when is everything so cheap?! Its great :)

Here is a good build for a slightly higher budget of ~ 700 euro

medium_build.JPG

Some Notes:

Depending on your needs you could swap the Dual Core 3ghz E8400 for the 2.4ghz Quad Core Q6600 for no additional cost

The MSI board is good, but not great and I would recommend the ASUS or eVGA version of the 750i if you want SLI, if you dont think you will need SLI then the ABIT IP35 Pro is very good

Recommended Upgrades:

Samsung 1TB drive for 125 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Gold stars for ye both :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Great thread! I'm considering upgrading my ancient PC within the next 12 months and was hoping to keep the budget fairly tight and hang onto my old monitor mouse keyboard etc.

I'd probably stretch to about €1000 at most if I didn't have to overclock (this machine would have to last a few years!)

• Advertisement

I will spec a 1k euro machine now but there is nothing like a bit of overclocking to add life and value for money to a PC ;)

highend_build.JPG

I went slightly over budget with this one but it does have TWO! 8800gts 512mb cards :) One is more than enough but two will kick the crap out of the current Flagship card ( 9800GX2 )

The Q9450 is a great CPU and will reach 3ghz very easy and 3.6ghz with a bit of messing.. It is 100 euro more expensive than the 2.4ghz Quad Core Q6600 but offers SSE4.1 instructions (great performance boost on video encoding) and it runs cooler

So if you dont think you need SSE4.1 you can save yourself 100 euro and get the 2.4ghz Quad Core Q6600

Most of the machines will be pretty quiet, the Corsair PSUs are silent and so are the heatsinks I spec'd

Scythe Mugen

Scythe Ninja

Xigmatec HDT-S1283

The Thermalright IFX-14 is probably the best aircooler atm and with a scythe Ultra-Kaze 120*38mm fan it would give great performance and remain very very quiet

Thermalright IFX-14

Scythe Ultra-Kaze

The stock 9600gt / 8800gt coolers are pretty loud (most single slot cards are) so a Zalman VF900-Cu would be ideal for the 9600gt and a Thermalright HR-03 would be ideal for the 8800gt. Harewareversand dont sell the HR-03gt for the g92 cards atm unfortunately..

The 8800gts g92 cards have a decent stock cooler which is very quiet at idle and acceptably quiet under heavy load ( you can use a program like rivatuner to force the fan to 60% constantly which gave me a good mix of performance / noise on my 8800gts g90 )

The HR-03gt fits the 8800gts g92 also if you want a quieter cooler...

Quiet Fans:

Nexus
    Scythe S Flex and Ultra-Kaze
    Noctua

In General Samsung HDDs are very quiet and the Samsung HD103UJ i spec'd is very quiet

And remember if you are buying a new case, don't buy one that is predominantly mesh! It will be loud...

Some good quiet cases that are also easy on the eye

Antec P180

Lian Li PC7

/inhale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Ok first person who can price up a gaming pc for €375 (price of an xbox elite on Komplett.ie) excluding delivery gets a big gold star. Can it be done!?!?! (needs to include a case!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Great thread, incredible what you can get for so little..

Terror's build for 370 is brillant...

If I was spending 700 on a gaming pc, then I would want Sli, Quad, 600watt + Psu, cool case

l8l7roya2r20zv4rsnn.jpg

Dont think a 30 euro fan is needed for most gamers imo, Q6600 can go plenty high without one..

skuzzb wrote: »
    Ok first person who can price up a gaming pc for €375 (price of an xbox elite on Komplett.ie) excluding delivery gets a big gold star. Can it be done!?!?!:confused:

ulxzi43kg1arcaaq.jpg

Cpu will reach above 2.80ghz easy, case psu is good no problem powering 9600gt...

• Advertisement

Yup that was pretty much what I priced up but if you want to save another 20 quid go for the ASRock Conroe1333-D667, Sockel 775, mATX....im tempted to build a second rig now!!!

:D This is great, Gaming PCs cheaper than consoles \o/

Just to be safe I would get a decent cheapo psu like the Corsair VX450 and some cheap case,most of those cheap case/psu combos are horrificly bad, a decent PSU is essential especially when overclocking is on the cards

All this specing cheaper machines really put me off spending big bucks on my next rig, a 50 euro CPU @ 3ghz+ is more impressive than an ok overclock on a Q9450 imo :p

Ok €334

Intel Pentium Dualcore E2160 "Box", LGA775
    50,26 €
    ASRock Conroe1333-D667, Sockel 775, mATX
    31,31 €
    Club3D 9600GT OC, 512MB, NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT, PCI-Express
    128,36 €
    Samsung SH-S203D bulk schwarz
    23,19 €
    Samsung HD250HJ, 250GB 7200, 8 MB Cache, NCQ S-ATA II
    36,99 €
    Jet Delta mit 400W-Netzteil
    31,81 €
    2048MB-Kit OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel, CL4
    33,03 €

Looks grand except with the bargain basement PSU and Motherboard you are asking for trouble, because it will either work badly or not at all and then you will say "PCS SUCK!" and go buy that Xbox :D

So, spend the extra 50 required to get a great PC and dont save 50 euro to have a terrible PC

Im not sure, those asrock boards are decent enough! Remeber how popular the cheepo DUAL board they had out with the AGP/PCI-E and ddr1/2 options!? They were solid performers for dirt cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

here's my best M-ATX build (matx is small form factor. they are much smaller than normal cases.)

20" monitor
    125.51 euro
    power supply
    36776848ti5.jpg

total for system + monitor = 717.
    just need a keyboard and mouse and speaker's now :p

This is probably what I will be getting in June unless there is a serious price drop on the Q9450 and 9800GTX

build4%20663%20delivered.JPG

I already have 4gigs of OCZ Platinum PC2-8000 and a case etc

geeez 125 euro for 1tb drive is insane.

Indeed :) Its one of the fastest and its quiet too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

5uspect wrote: »
    Great thread! I'm considering upgrading my ancient PC within the next 12 months and was hoping to keep the budget fairly tight and hang onto my old monitor mouse keyboard etc.

I'd probably stretch to about €1000 at most if I didn't have to overclock (this machine would have to last a few years!)
    As an alternative to conzymaher's, and if you need a case and OS as part of the 1k, you could go for this:

buildtb1.jpg

Been thinking of going for something similar myself actually to tie me over until Nehalem.

• Advertisement

jesus thats very similiar to my rig! and it cost me a LOT more than 1000 euro :(

What was the OP banned for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    What was the OP banned for?
    By request apparently. My guess is it's exam time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Blowfish wrote: »
    By request apparently. My guess is it's exam time :)

exactly :D

hahah legend conzy :) not back until end of june. that sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Just found this thread now... Man the prices have come down a hell of allot. I'm off to spec me up a long overdue PC...

Those matx's case's are the job...

I must have one...

@ Royal can you recommend any decent motherboards that will overclock?

Would like to get about 2.60ghz out of E2180 with box fan...

Was going to buy a Dell Vostro and use it as it as htpc ( they are so cheap ) and some gaming on a 42" lcd...

This is what I have so far, not sure about the mobo, but its cheap and has decent reviews...

z28ovsjfpm8gs6xpkfjk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I saw that S2L in PC World today...priced at about 55, so pretty decent considering you'd factor in postage on an online site. Was looking at it, seems like a good board. Every gigabyte board seems to be excellent for overclocking....and that's only a 600mhz increase on the 2180's stock, so I'd say even a crap board would get that out...(cue horrible memories of my msi neo-f)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

What websites are you taking those scripts from?

• Advertisement

Exar Khun wrote: »
    What websites are you taking those scripts from?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lid=2

Advertisement