Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp your UL event (especially UL clubs and socs)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrroboto

Just saw this arguement and a lot has been said. I'd like to briefly weigh in on it.
    Basically, johnryano feels there's an over exposure of gay people in the media. I have to strongly disagree with him. It's widely accepted that around 10% of the population is LGBTQ. I say media coverage is just now in proportion to that statistic. Gay rights is advancing rapidly at the moment globally so media has to cover that fact.
    You look at a news paper and you're seeing a lot of articles and opinion pieces on queer issues but to compare it to black civil rights again. You wouldn't open the Sunday news paper and shout, "Holy Mary, Mother of God!!! Would ya look at the paper, tis full of feckin' Black People!!"
    Because you know that sounds unbelievably Rascist. Now you're sharing a similar sentiment towards Queer people. Sounds Homophobic, now doesn't it.
    I know johnryano isn't anti-gay and you're not trying to be hateful. You aspire to the same future that all LGBTQ people aspire to. And that is a time where sexual orientation is a non-issue.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Dia Daoibh:)

Beidh Seachtian na Gaeilge ar súil i UL i rith seachtain a hocht, beidh neart imeachtaí ar fáil an seachtain ar fad.
    Seachtain na Gaeilge will be in UL during week eight, there will be lots of events available during the week.

Scaoileadh na Ballúin:
    Chun tús ceart a chur leis an seachtain beidh 100 ballúin á scaoileadh againn san Courtyard Luan (12/3) ag a 13:00 :) beidh ceol agus craic ann gan dabht agus tosneofaí an géalú ag an am seo chomh maith!!

Ballon Release:
    To kick things off with a bang, were releasing 100 green ballons from the courtyard on MONDAY AT 13:00!! There'll be some music, possibly some drunken leprachans, some dinner ladies, few dancers and a bitta bant :L Were also kicking of Géalú at this stage so it's well worth checking out!

Géalú:
    Caithfeá dul i mbeirteanna agus do shli a dhéanmah timpeall na tíre go dtí an méid is mó contaetha agus is féidir leat i 24 uair! Níl cead aon bhéarla ná aon airgead! Beidh oraibh roinnt tascanna a bhaint amach chomh maith agus pictuiri a thogaint do gach rud! Beidh praghas don fhoireann a fhaigheann an méid is mo pointí ag deireadh!

Géalú
    Remember the Great Charity Race for Rag Week?well this is based on the same thing but BETTER! In twos you must make it to as many counties in Ireland in 24 hours..BUT you're not allowed any money or any ENGLISH! so hitchhiking as GAEILGE LADS! doesnt get much better than that!! :L well provide ye with a few sandwiches, pack of crips, possibly even a can of coke and all ye need to bring is a camera to document yer horrific/epic journey and yer on the road..literally :L COURTYARD 13:00 MONDAY

Votáil ar son na Gaeilge.
    Stables Courtyard, 2:30pm Monday 12 March.
    A motion has been put forward for the Students Union's UGM to make Irish an Official Language of the Union, meaning that the Union will agree to work with the Irish Officer to provide services in Irish for students who want them.
    Tá an Reabhlóid ag teacht, bígí linn.

Céilí:
    right lads agus lassies, seo highlight na seachtaine!! Is brea le gach duine céilí ach níl aon rud níos fearr ná na céilithe a bhiodh ann i laethanta ár n-óige nuair a bhiodh na buachaillí ag gléasadh suas mar chailíní agus na cailíní mar ..bhuachailli!! SOOOOO chun ár n-óige a bhlasadh uair amháin eile táimid chun DRAG-CÉILÍ a chur ar súil! Bí ag faire amach do Fallaí Luimní agus na damhsaí eile! Chomh maith le sin beidh coisir i ndiaidh sin sa Stables BÍ ANN!!!! Dé Ceadaoin 8.30 sa Courtyard!!

A DRAG CEILI!!
    For those of us who were lucky enough to go to irish college back in the day, we all remember well how much fun those ceilis were where lads dressed up as girls and girls dressed up as...well anything really! well heres to reliving our youth!! WEDNESDAY 8.30 COURTYARD! expect all the usual craic from the ceili and much much much more :L

Rith 2012
    Is féile náisiúnta nua d'Éirinn é Rith 2012 a bheidh ar siúl ón 8-17 Márta 2012 mar cheann de phríomhimeachtaí Sheachtain na Gaeilge. Tá cúrsa 700km leagtha amach chun ollrith sealaíochta a dhéanamh, ag rith ó mhaidin go hoíche, ó Gaoth Dóbhair go Inis Mór, Árann thar 10 lá leis na míllte duine ag glacadh páirte ann thar 75 baile.
    Beidh siad ag teacht go Luimneach ar an Déardaoin, 15 Márta agus beidh muid ag croílar na sproi.

Rith 2012.
    Rith is a new National festivle that will take place from 8-17 March 2012, it is one of the main events of Seachtain na Gaeilge this year. A 700km course has been layed out and people will be running from morninig till night, from Donnegal to the Aran Islands(By way of Belfast and Dublin) in support of the Irish Language over ten days, thousands of people will be taking part through 75 towns.
    They will be comming to Limerick on Thursday 15th March and we will be at the center of the action.

Seachtain na Gaeilge UL

426088_287622184645012_100001916974010_714977_713239673_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BostFrond

I've tried to stay out of this so called "arguement" for as long as possible, mostly because I don't want to be in any way related to ignorance by the hands of an obvious troll.
    But you "johnryano" have actually broken me, congratulations! your stupidity shall live on in my mind forever.
    To insult my friends is one thing, but to insult the community that I love, and call home is an outrage, these "facts" that you keep conjuring (and believe me, you're knocking them right out of the park) are not just ignorant, but also hurtful, to state that we as a community of obviously second class citizens should silence ourselves in the hope that this will lead to equality is a direct insult to those who have died/been imprisoned/attacked for this cause.

Secondly, you state that the black communities hardships differ greatly from our own, simply because we have not been enslaved. We have however been lynched, beaten, killed, denied basic rights and told that we as a community are wrong, born of the devil, a destructive force in the world and lets not forget the daily hatred and animosity that has been placed upon us day in day out. Are you saying that we shouldn't talk about this, and it will just go away? NO! if it is not challenged it will become worse.

I implore you to heed your own words and don't respond! The internet has enough ignorance without you tipping the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

don_t_feed_the_troll.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 big queer

johnryano wrote: »
    buddy if you think that's a long post you haven't seen me in action.

I think you're using a very liberal definition of the term intersex to say it has an prevalence of 1 in a 100, especially as the prevalence of actually surgically relevant intersex gender is more like 1 in a 1000 or less (according to wikipedia).

Fair enough, I take your point that celebrating the term 'queer' is more for community rather than social reasons but I still feel homosexuality (and the rest of queerdom) really takes up too much time in the media and popular culture.

Essentially if we all stopped asking would we really care anymore?
    I am so sorry but no argument is validated by "according to Wikipedia" that was just too funny but thanks for the giggle.

Personally I think you are a very sad individual and your views are based on little or no education in the matter (bar the trustworthy Wikipedia). As for the queerdoms media popularity this is due to the fact that the queer community fought long and hard for our right to live freely with the sexuality we were born with, the reason we have such support is because very few people think like you anymore.

I am proud to be queer, I am proud and glad I was born queer and I thank god every day that most people aren't small minded uneducated big mouths like you, also watch what you say to my friends about their "out bursts" when they have every right to answer your small minded comment.

Proud lesbian OUT,
    P.S. hello boy, FLAWLESS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

So!
    Any club and society events happening in the not too distant future!
    Bare in mind it'll need to be pimped extremely well to convince me!
    The Irishy one above sounds good but can't speak a word of it so don't think its my thing :-P
    Unless "Cristoir is anim dom," "Conas a ta tu?" and "Ta me gmacth" will cover all corners :)
    My ability to spell Irish is understandably, as bad as my Irish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

So!
    Any club and society events happening in the not too distant future!
    Bare in mind it'll need to be pimped extremely well to convince me!
    The Irishy one above sounds good but can't speak a word of it so don't think its my thing :-P
    Unless "Cristoir is anim dom," "Conas a ta tu?" and "Ta me gmacth" will cover all corners :)
    My ability to spell Irish is understandably, as bad as my Irish :)

Your welcome to come along and just soak it all in, there will be plenty of international students at the events, so don't feel that a high standard of Irish is needed to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

The Google Table Quiz!

Date: Tuesday 13 March (Week 8)
    Time: 19:00

Prizes: Top 3 teams win Google gear including Google hoodies, memory sticks, t-shirts, headphones, pens, etc...
    Cost: €4 per person, up to 5 people per table

Anyone can attend! Invite your friends!

https://www.facebook.com/events/344362058939675/

--
    UL Computer Society
    www.skynet.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

When?: Thursday, 8.00pm

Where?: Sports Bar

Come and have the craic with the brand new Psychology Society! This will be no ordinary quiz... Intelligence is futile.
    Instead, expect cross-dressing, athletics and more!
    All welcome!!

Spot prizes include:
    Psych Ball tickets
    Dinner for two
    Stables tees
    Wine
    Vouchers (loads of vouchers!!)

€20 per table for 4/5 people!

FB Event link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

When? Tuesday Week 10, starting at 7pm.
    Where? Stables Bar

It's back for another year! The world famous UL Music Soc Battle of the Bands returns next Tuesday to the Stables. 10 Bands, 1 night, 1 venue, and only one winner.......

/wrestlingpromoter

All the info you need is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Doctor_Mossie

Hey everyone, first Boards Post. :)
    Fan Forum Society are organising a trip to see the Hunger Games, the day before it's officially released to Ireland. The tickets only cost €3 and there's a free tea or coffee for anyone who wants one. Message Andrew for any more details.

What? Trip to see the Hunger Games.

When? Thursday, 8pm.

Where? Storm Cinema's.

Event Page; https://www.facebook.com/messages/589290854#!/events/256323844459343/

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Polar Ice wrote: »
    The Google Table Quiz!

Date: Tuesday 13 March (Week 8)
    Time: 19:00

Just wanna say that Cydoniac, Aragneer, Chris Martin and I won this :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cawcheen wrote: »

Nobody likes a show off! :P

What: Father Ted Table Quiz
    Where: Stables
    When: Wednesday 28th March 8pm.

Facebook Event

Seems like it'd be a bit of craic. Might be a good place for a BULBs meetup?

Actually no, 'cos with my record of BULBs attendance it'd probably be a bead omen to make it one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Cawcheen wrote: »

Did ye get your hoodies yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

UL Drama Society Presents Terry Pratchetts Mort

We shall be performing Mort by Terry Pratchett on Monday the 26th and Tuesday the 27th. In The Jonathan Swift Theatre 8 PM for both nights. 4 Euro Admission

FB Event page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

CiaranMT wrote: »
    When?: Thursday, 8.00pm

Where?: Sports Bar

Come and have the craic with the brand new Psychology Society! This will be no ordinary quiz... Intelligence is futile.
    Instead, expect cross-dressing, athletics and more!
    All welcome!!

Spot prizes include:
    Psych Ball tickets
    Dinner for two
    Stables tees
    Wine
    Vouchers (loads of vouchers!!)

€20 per table for 4/5 people!

FB Event link.

Just wanted to thank all those who came down to this last night and made it such a success. We really didn't expect to get the turnout we got!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

The 2012 Psychology Society Black Tie Ball.

When? Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 7:30pm
    Where? Carlton Castletroy Park Hotel, Limerick
    Much? 35euro

Tickets on sale from the SU from the 10th April. Tickets include a four course meal and a champagne reception. Music by "Gin and Juice" with DJ 'til late.

Hope to see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What: UL Drama Soc's "5 Reasons to Laugh, Clap, Cry"
    Where: Jonathan Swift (B1023, the lecture theatre next to the Red Raisins)
    When: Tonight (Wednesday April 18th @8pm)
    How much: Four euros.

Five short plays performed by Drama Soc people. Altogether, they last about an hour and twenty minutes. Two of the plays were written by Drama Soc members - the other three were written by Rich Orloff, David Ives and Christopher Durang.

Saw this show on Monday. It's worth going to see. It's funny. Bits of it are hilarious. Quirky but very accessible. And it's only four euros in. It's well worth your four euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Doctor_Mossie

What: Fan Forum Society Avengers trip.
    When: Friday 27th April
    Where: Storm Cinema,Castletroy
    What: We go to the movies! The foremost media based society in UL is going to go see the Avengers for €2.50 per person. Membership of the society isnt required, but only 310 seats available!
    Fb page here; https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/324258404308140/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 uldevsoc

What: UL Development Society AGM
    When: 6pm on Wednesday 19th September (this week!)
    Where: SU Room 2 (yes I know it's tiny, but there were problems with our room booking in the University)
    How Much: Attendance is free, but if you do then decide that you want to join membership is 2 euro. Obviously voting etc. is only open to paid members
    Who the are we? We work with organisations such as Amnesty International and Kiva (microfinancing) to support international development work and human rights campaigns

We'll be talking about our activities for the year, electing a committee and looking for ideas from everybody. We've a few events coming up that we'll be talking about (some free ones that'll be posted about here!) and just want to find out what sort of things people are interested in.

The big thing for us this year is identifying how we can make our campaigns as effective and meaningful as possible. We don't want any action for the sake of action, we want to be well informed about what we're doing, and organising campaigns that actually do some sort of good. Too often people rush into things, or campaign on too many issues, and end up not having any solid plan, any real idea of the impact of their actions, or any real knowledge of the cause they're working on.

^^ I do realise that should be a priority for any society like this from the very start, but unfortunately it's easier than you'd think for it to be overlooked. People get swept up in the idea of action, of doing something important, and there's little time set aside for reflection.
    Anybody with any interest or thoughts on this sort of thing is encouraged to come along and give their two cents, even if they won't be joining the society! This is boards, so I know you all have opinions :D, come along and share them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Commencing on Monday people!!!

228189_483149988369930_1410048735_n.jpg

The University of Limerick Computer Society is hosting its 3rd Skycon Conference on Computers & I.T.

October 6th & 7th in the Computer Science (CSIS) building.

Facebook
    Facebook event

Featuring speakers including:
    Everyone is welcome to attend the conference. You can find more details, a complete speaker listing, and any updates at skycon.skynet.ie

skycon12mini-black.png

Just to add, the SAP talk is being given by the Managing Director of SAP Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yes! So glad Randall Munroe is coming back, was so upset I missed him the first time around. xkcd is genius.

At times I think this thread gets hidden up here.

Anyway, fancy timetable now avaialbe: http://skycon.skynet.ie/2012/images/timetable.pdf

Don't forget to check out the website http://skycon.skynet.ie/

What: Film Screening of The Constant Gardener, hosted by UL Development Society and the UL Centre for Peace and Development Studies
    When: Wednesday, 6pm (that's tomorrow!)
    Where: Room S205 (Schuman building second floor)
    Popcorn: Provided :D

Details: Basically Devsoc are running a human rights film series with the UL Centre for Peace and Development Studies. This is the 2nd film in the series (first one went really well, sorry for not posting it here).
    The film follows a British diplomat in Kenya; His wife is killed while investigating a pharmaceutical company who are testing drugs on the poor of Nairobi's slums. The film raises a number of important human rights issues.
    The screening will begin with a short introduction from one of our society members, in order to place the film into a clearer context. There will be a discussion afterwards, and then some of us should be wandering over to Scholars for the post-film chat.

As I mentioned above, there will be popcorn!

What: Talk on Volunteering in Kolkata, India with Suas Educational Development
    When: Wednesday, 6.30pm
    Where: S117
    Event Page: HERE

Details: Suas Educational Development are holding an informational session on their volunteer programs in Kolkata, India, on Wednesday 24th October. The session will be starting at 6.30 in S117 and will include previous volunteers talking about their experiences.

"The Suas Volunteer Programme provides an opportunity to work in India for 10 weeks; with 9 weeks volunteering in a community-based school or educational project and one week of workshops exploring development issues. The Programme will give you the opportunity to develop your professional skills, work in a team and learn about issues affecting our interconnected world."

The UL Development Society will also be represented, and will be assisting any UL applicants in their preparation and fundraising during the year. We know how daunting this sort of thing can be, so we aim to make the prospect of fundraising and preparing for a summer in India a little easier, by offering an extra level of on-campus support in addition to the supports already provided by Suas themselves.

More information can be found on the Suas Website and on the Facebook event page

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OIUL

photo.php?fbid=3325390113752&set=t.1838386609&type=3&theater
    What: Queer Ball
    When: Monday 5th November 2012, 7pm
    Where: The Absolute Hotel
    Event Page: HERE

Details:
    Launch of Rainbow Week 2012.

It's that time of year again; UL Rainbow Week. And to kick it all off, Out in UL is hosting the inaugural Queer Ball. With music, food, drink, dancing and frolics, this will be a night to remember.

WITH MUSIC FROM THE AMAZING MILK BABY

Tickets go on sale 17 October from ULSU reception, the Absolute Hotel, and Out in UL committee members. Full tickets cost €30, afters tickets are €15. Purchase online HERE

Bus leaves Stables Club at 6:30pm sharp. Meal starts at 7pm

It's the most wonderful ball of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DJpaudie

UL Macra are having there first event of the semester next Tuesday (November 13th). The SEX QUIZ is on in the stables from 7. Only 2E per person and it's worth coming just for the laugh. More info on the FB event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/294862847291623/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Debating Union's got some good events this week:

What: Nuclear Energy debate
    When: Wednesday 6th February 7pm
    Where: Millstream Building
    Event Page:

What: Debate on Abortion Legalisation
    When: Thursday 7th February 7.30pm
    Where: Jonathan Swift Theatre (B1023)
    Event Page