Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric Tattoos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Okay, so you're not offended, you're just highlighting the fact that I called nobody at all a tool but said that getting a tattoo might be a permanent reminder of when one was once a tool in a throwaway remark so that if you could possibly be offended, this is what you should be offended by. Right…
    Will you sleep better if I say yes?

You seem to be taking what I said about the thread as a direct insult which I can assure you was not intended. Never singled out one of your posts or anybody elses for that matter, yet you seem to be taking it as personal criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Now that we are all one happy harmonious family again, ;) perhaps we can get back on topic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Rigsby wrote: »
    Now that we are all one happy harmonious family again, ;) perhaps we can get back on topic ?
    Apologized earlier for dragging the thread off topic - wasn't the intention :)

Rigsby, say you had a gun put to your head and told you must get some lyrics tattoo on your body - is there any particluar lyric you'd go for??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

PaulieC wrote: »
    Rigsby, say you had a gun put to your head and told you must get some lyrics tattoo on your body - is there any particluar lyric you'd go for??

I think I'd opt to be shot !! :D

Seriously though, I cant think of any lyrics that mean enough to me to have them tattooed on my body.

However, if I was to get a tattoo (and it would only be under the circumstances you describe above ;)), I might consider a bass clef symbol, as I love music in general and playing bass in particular. Also, it would be small, and in a discreet place. IMO whatever merit there is is tattoos is cancelled when you see people covered from head to toe in them. In these cases, nothing stands out and the whole thing looks like a smudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Temaz wrote: »
    Tempted for years to get either

'Living is easy with eyes closed'

'Forever Young'

'"La Tristesse Durera'

"Motorcycle Emptiness"

Could never decide which one to get.

What do the lyrics motorcycle emptiness mean? Always baffled me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Imagine seeing a person in their 50s with a Meatloaf tattoo, you'd think 'what a sad bastard' now think of yourself with your band tattoo in thirty years time and tell me it's not going to be the same thing.

Oi, leave the Loaf out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Sinfonia wrote: »
    As Reg D Hunter (or was it Louis CK?) once put it, "When did 'sticks and stones' stop being relevant?"
    This was Steve Hughes, as it turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

I don't have a tattoo, but I do have the lyrics "east and west the highway rolls, lord have mercy on my poor soul" etched on my wallet. It's from an American fiddle tune, great song. The wallet's leather, so it is permanently on some cow's skin, but not on mine...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It probably sounds obvious but it very much depends on what lyrics you want, where you want to get them and what style you get them done in, font, colour etc. etc.

For example....
    There's a song by Straylight Run with the lyrics...
    Sing like you think no one's listening, You would kill for this, Just a little bit,
    Just a little bit, You would, you would..
    Sing me something soft, Sad and delicate, Or loud and out of key,
    Sing me anything.

straylightrun.jpg

l.jpg

101_6019.jpg

l.jpg

l.gif

That's 5 different variations of pretty much the same set of lyrics. All very different and not all good.
    Also what I think that shows is that if you're getting song lyrics just because you're a big fan of a band chances are someone else out there has the same words as you tattooed on their body. Obviously if you're choosing words that mean something specific to you, and not just because you really like the band, this won't matte to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Temaz wrote: »
    Tempted for years to get either

'Living is easy with eyes closed'

'Forever Young'

'"La Tristesse Durera'

"Motorcycle Emptiness"

Could never decide which one to get.

I have Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed on the inside of my upper arm, it means something to me. Lyrics I think make great tattoos as you will always associate memories to a song, well I do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

There are a LOT of quotes and song lyrics I'd get, but my body would end up like a book. A lot of Frank Turner comes to mind for me, or something from Girl from the North Country, but it's something I wouldn't ever do because I'd never stop and would end up having lots by the same 7-8 artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

No, I would never do it. If I did do it though I'd make a point of staying away from currently fashionable lyrics. Not because I'm a total hipster or anything but knowing me I'd pick some pseudo-intellectual ****e that sounds deep and profound to me today but 20 years later it would be total kitsch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Someone on /mu/ posted a tattoo of "God is a place you will wait for the rest of your life" Thought it was nice. Wouldn't have God written on my body though.

I'd consider getting a lyric written on me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

If I were to get words tattooed onto myself it would probably be the line from Kurt Cobain's suicide note "it's better to burn out that to fade away."
    Don't really feel the need to get it written on my skin though :p I want a scarab beetle as a tattoo :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

There are a few lyrics I would consider as tattoos except that I'm not a big fan of script tattoos in general. certain lyrics mean enough to me that having them incorporated into a tattoo (maybe in pictures?) seems a good idea.

The whole 'you will look stupid when you're old' argument always baffles me!!
    1) we aren't all gonna make it to old age
    2) If I hate it in 10 or 20 years time I can get it removed!
    3) You can't live life worrying what others will think of you...including your future self!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

If I were to get words tattooed onto myself it would probably be the line from Kurt Cobain's suicide note "it's better to burn out that to fade away."
    Don't really feel the need to get it written on my skin though :p I want a scarab beetle as a tattoo :cool:
    I always thought a scarab "rolling" one of my nipples across my chest would be neat in Egyptian style graphic.

Not sure if you already know, but he borrowed that line from Neil Youngs Hey Hey My My.

Not sure if you already know, but he borrowed that line from Neil Youngs Hey Hey My My.

Yeah I know but I think its best use was in the suicide note :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah I know but I think its best use was in the suicide note :p

Yes, a self loathing smackhead's excuse for blowing his brains out really was a much better fit for that lyric than Neil Young's mediation on his relevance in a rapidly changing music industry.

Yes, a self loathing smackhead's excuse for blowing his brains out really was a much better fit for that lyric than Neil Young's mediation on his relevance in a rapidly changing music industry.

I don't like Neil Diamond so, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't like Neil Diamond so, yes.

What's Neil Diamond got to do with it?

What's Neil Diamond got to do with it?

sorry, meant Young :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Indeed, better to burn out and leave your infant daughter fatherless.

And Cobain must have missed the line that says "once you're gone, you can never come back"

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

...Aaand now the thread has been ruined for everyone

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Okay.....

I quite like this idea of getting the notation of the part of the song the lyrics are from. That's not a great picture but you get the idea.

music-tattoo-designs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I don't think I'd get a lyric tattoo, for the sole reason that I couldn't possibly pick out a single lyric that deserved, more than any other, to be permanently inked on my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I wouldn't get it done, the song might mean something to you at the time, but a few annoying car adverts, a romantic comedy ost or an inverview with the lyricist in which they explain the meaning could spoil/alter it for you.

I guess, for lots of people, it is as much about how you felt when you originally got the tattoo but for me the notion of the lyric-tattoo doesn't have an appeal. I'd want ownership of any image/words branded on my self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

That was Neil Young originally no?

I have
    "once i thought i saw you, in a crowded hazy bar"
    From Neil Youngs 'Like a Hurricane' tattoo'd on my back. It's mine and my fiances song. If I were to get every lyric that was significant my body would be like a book!

2011-07-28122814.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

Okay.....

I quite like this idea of getting the notation of the part of the song the lyrics are from. That's not a great picture but you get the idea.

music-tattoo-designs.jpg

I'm not going to comment on the idea, but that tattoo is musically incorrect. I'm not sure what the fourth note there is, but it's either a 16th note, which means that the bar only has 14 sixteenth notes, or an 8th note, which means only 15. Either way, a 4/4 bar should have 16 sixteenth notes to the bar. I think whoever wrote the music down had trouble with getting it right- it's a sneakily tough piece to notate, with the verses in 7/4 and the chorus in either 12/8 or 4/4 with triplets depending on who you ask...

-Tyler

Advertisement