Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to goto america for 3 months - how do I go about? (clueless)

• 05-03-2010 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.
    I'm 25 and want to go to america for 3 months. Want to have an experience ya know :)

The option of working for 3 months would be pretty cool too. Can anyone give me any adivce?
    how hard is it to get a work visa?
    I dont have a college education. Only a leaving cert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

If its to work your only options are to go through a company. So either a company in the America sponsors you or a company here sends you over for three months, that's in the US I'm not sure if it applies to any other country in America.

If its not to work you can get a visa waiver and just have a three month travel visa. That's pretty simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Cheers for the reply.
    I want to go over 3 months and do this type of sport thing.
    I was fearing working over there was going to be hard.

Is it perfectly legal to attend like say, sports training over there?
    Thats legal to do so right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

whatsamsn wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.
    I want to go over 3 months and do this type of sport thing.
    I was fearing working over there was going to be hard.

Is it perfectly legal to attend like say, sports training over there?
    Thats legal to do so right?

What kind? and where?

Certainly training should be okay. If you're supporting yourself it should be okay. Some sort of medical insurance would be good, even small injuries over here can get staggeringly expensive very quickly.

well,
    i have two options.
    Number 1 was to go over for 3 months.

Option to is to goto college over there. Live over the for the college term. Id like that :)

How hard is getting a student visa?

thanks for any help guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Its very straight forward. Once you get accepted by the college they'll give you all the paper work for the visa.

• Advertisement

Thanks lil_lisa,

So I have two choices it would seem. Go over for 3 months on my passport and learn a sport i want to learn. means i cant work.

Or goto college over there ... while i can also learn the sport. As you can tell there really isnt much over in this country. Im one of the people thinking of just packing up and getting out. why not like.

On a student visa are you entitled to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

whatsamsn wrote: »
    On a student visa are you entitled to work?

Usually you can work, but are limited to on-campus jobs (teaching assistant, working in the cafeteria etc). Under certain circumstances you may be allowed to work off-campus for a limited number of hours, especially if the job relates to your field of study (such as maybe assistant coach for your sport in a HighSchool or some such).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Johnnytwoshoes

far as i know the visa waiver program is a holiday visa only so that means your not supposed to do anything other than be on holiday. So I would be guessing you cant use it to do any type of course while you're there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

far as i know the visa waiver program is a holiday visa only so that means your not supposed to do anything other than be on holiday. So I would be guessing you cant use it to do any type of course while you're there either.

The visa wavier is not limited to holidays, you are allowed conduct limited business on it [by business I mean meet people about products etc for your company not work], you can also take college credits while on it but you are limited in the number of class hours you are allowed take within the 90 days. An F-1 visa is a full time student visa and on it you are limited to work within your field of study or on campus employment. Most US colleges run nearly full courses during the summer semesters so alot of people head over to take classes then as it's a hell of alot cheaper then paying for undergraduate or post graduate education.

OP you are aware of the cost of college in the states right? Eduction is expensive there compared to here so while there is more choice you pay for it. A full time course can run to $30,000 and more a year [two semesters] not counting housing. Summer semester/continuing ed courses can be cheaper [you pay per credit couple of 1000 for undergrad credits and anywhere from 300 to 800 for continuing ed credits, typical class is worth 3 credits] You will be asked when you arrive to prove you have the means to support yourself for the 90 days you are there.

Advertisement