Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Cutting an Acre

• 12-04-2003 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Does anyone know what it might cost to have someone with a tractor cut the grass of an acre field?

I've been looking at a few country houses, so I just wondered what it might cost to have the grass cut.

It would be in Co.Cork or Kerry, if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

get yourself one of those mini tractor mowers for about 500 eu second hand,they are good fun and easy to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get a sheep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭MazyMo

Thanks Guys.

I wonder what size of field would become too big for one of those mini tractor mowers?

If the field was 2 acres instead of 1 acre would it start to become a hassle rather than enjoyable?

Sheep? Hadn't really thought about a sheep (or a goat I suppose).

Haven't a clue what's involved in looking after a sheep or goat, or how many would be needed for an acre.

But; it's a thought.

How about doing you bit for the environment and planting soem mixed trees? All it means is thinning them out every few years, with no having to cut them every 2 weeks?

That's a thought too.

Doesn't some government department help finance the planting and/or pay a certain amount each year to those who plant a certain amount of certain types of trees?

Though maybe it has to be a good few acres.

I think the trees are then harvested after a few decades.

I've heard something about this.

Know anything about this?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MazyMo
    Doesn't some government department help finance the planting and/or pay a certain amount each year to those who plant a certain amount of certain types of trees?

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/forestry/farm.htm

Thanks for this Victor.

It's appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

My house is on an acre. Now the acre isn't totally grass cos the house is on a bit and then there's the driveway but there's a fair amount of grass there. My husband's job is the grass and he just uses a petrol lawnmower. It takes a good day to cut it but he sees it as his excersize! If you have the money to spend by all means buy a ride on mower but it can be done with a normal one too (not a flymo or anything flimsy like that though!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Don't you have to be a registered farmer to qualify for this benefit?

Also, an acre of grass is quite big for a lawn, especially when has to be cut every two weeks in the summer.
    If you just want to keep it under some kind of control then 3 times during the growing season should be enough - ask a local farmer who has a mower to give you a quote.

Hi commuterised,

You must have a fit husband!

Does he cut the acre once a year only?

Slightly longer grass usually doesn't look just as bad on an acre than it does on a more "normal" sized garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Having just had our grounds done (don't get me started on the cost) I have to buy a ride on mower. We have a 1/2 acre site. I've looked through broachers and such and you should have no hasstle getting a ride on to cut an acre. It'll cost ya though.

daveg,

I know you said not to get you started on the cost......

But, can I ask? How much did it cost for half an acre?

I had been thinking about the ride-on mower's. "Clintons Cat" said earlier that I could possibly get a 2nd hand one for Eu 500.

Maybe I could get a 2nd hand one at a good price if you looked for on in winter.

There are also, whats the word, powered mowers which you use like an ordinary domestic mower, but you don't have to push.

MazyMo when I said don't get me started about the cost I was refering to getting the grounds levelled (with a JCB) and power rotavated/raked/rolled and seeded. This in total cost us nearly €4,000.

For a ride on lawnmower which will cut up to an acre your talking about €2,500 new. I'm sure you can pick them up second hand but if you buy a new one, service it regulary and look after it, it should last years. I'm no expert though. Just shopping around like yourself. If you happen to be in the Galway region let me know as there is a very good lawn mower sales company in Moylough. I can let you have their number. Also I would be warey about getting a tractor to cut it as it would ruin your lawn (I would imagine).

FFS €7,000 just for some grass. Should have tarmacked the whole lot

:rolleyes:

Someone was telling me that if I were to get a couple of sheep or goats, I would have to get public liability insurance for them in case they escaped from the field and caused an accident or caused damage.

What do you think about this? True?

daveg, please post the name of the supplier or send it through the "private message" function; just in case I went ahead with getting a mower.

Thanks daveg.

Originally posted by MazyMo
    Someone was telling me that if I were to get a couple of sheep or goats, I would have to get public liability insurance for them in case they escaped from the field and caused an accident or caused damage.

What do you think about this? True?

daveg, please post the name of the supplier or send it through the "private message" function; just in case I went ahead with getting a mower.

Thanks daveg.

as promised - lawnmower sales:

Killeen's

093 49355 or 086 8459428

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

well if its going to in the country, i think your best bet would to be to talk to the person who cuts the grass of the local GAA pitch. They usually have the necessary small tractor and cutting attachment for low grass, and if they're out doing the GAA pitch anyway.......
    And if you offered them some money for doing it i don't think they'd rip you off. Sometimes the people who take care of the pitches just do it part time anyway.

That might be totally useless advice, but you never know!

spaczed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 loveheartsandnicotine

sheep??? get a goat:))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Trust me sheep and goats are a bad idea, unless you have a lot of experience with dealing with live stock you're going to run into a lot of problems. Not to mention the fact that they'll ****e all over the place. Also using a tractor to cut a garden isn't advisable. If the ground is anyway wet/soft the tractor will make mince meat out of your lawn. Best bet I would see is get a 2nd had powered petrol lawn mower(not a drive on) then find some local lad and give him 20 squids to do the lawn.

thanks for the telephone number dave; I'll keep it in case I opt for the mower option.

loveheartsandnicotine: why a goat and not a sheep?

From what I've discovered so far, it's difficult to keep a goat in the field, as they're so good at climbing; and also they would probably eat everything including the hedges and clothes from the line.

Whereas a sheep probably would not have any of these drawbacks.

As for the amount of ****e left, - well would two sheep leave that much?

I'm not sure.

spaczed: the GAA guy with the mower; thanks, that's something I hadn't thought about. It's an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 vjoc

Popped up to Q&B this evening.

They have two ride-on models on display:
    MTD RS115/96B €1,248
    MTD RH115B €1,898

More info available on their website......
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/categ...p?CATID=8090020

According to the sales assistant they are getting a new delivery of non climbing goats & non ****e sheep next week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Dont I repeat dont get a goat!!! I have one and they eat everything except grass........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Bung the local council tractor cutter a few quid,nudge nudge wink wink....

Advertisement