Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys has just won a BAFTA!

• 27-05-2012 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I shít you not!

Well done!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Hard to believe, that! He looked like a proper little bellend as well with those luminous green specs attached to his head and his equally laughable dickie bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Fair play, fúck the begrudgers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

lizt wrote: »
    Fair play, fúck the begrudgers!!

I'm sorry, but disliking that sort of lowest-common-denominator drivel really does not make someone a begrudger. It's horrifically bad. I know Fresh Meat, Rev and Friday Night Dinner aren't to everybody's taste, but the idea that they could be deemed inferior to a man who dresses as an old woman, falls over a lot and uses the word "fuck" as a punchline... well, it's just ludicrous.

RayM wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but disliking that sort of lowest-common-denominator drivel really does not make someone a begrudger. It's horrifically bad. I know Fresh Meat, Rev and Friday Night Dinner aren't to everybody's taste, but the idea that they could be deemed inferior to such unfunny crap is just ludicrous.

Are you havin' a laff?

Is he havin' a laff!?

extras_ray_stokes_2.jpg

You're havin' a laff!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

remember, the only way is Essex has a BAFTA. The awards are fairly meaningless.

• Advertisement

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

class!

I'm sorry, but disliking that sort of lowest-common-denominator drivel really does not make someone a begrudger. It's horrifically bad. I know Fresh Meat, Rev and Friday Night Dinner aren't to everybody's taste, but the idea that they could be deemed inferior to a man who dresses as an old woman, falls over a lot and uses the word "fuck" as a punchline... well, it's just ludicrous.

You may think it's ludicrous but millions of viewers disagree. Should you just discount their opinions because it's not your type of comedy?

I personally don't find it that funny but obviously other people do and I say fair play to them for making such a success of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You may think it's ludicrous but millions of viewers disagree. Should you just discount their opinions because it's not your type of comedy?
    Yes. It's tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can't argue with the numbers - Manchester Utd, Avatar, Titanic, Adele, Billy Ray Cyrus, the Eurovison Song Contest, the Late Late Show :eek: Most people have pretty lousy non discriminating taste most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Joekers

To be fair if you can understand it then it's fairly ducking funny ! I love it. Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I am so stealing this.

I am so stealing this.

I'm disappointed in you for not recognising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bafta's is supposed to award the best not the one most watched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Well, it's not my cup of tea but it seems lots of people like it so they're doing a good job of delivering light entertainment. I'm sure the award must mean a lot to Mr O'Carroll so I'm happy for him.

I don't see what's wrong with Coldplay either. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

No, I wouldn't discount their opinions simply because it's not my type of comedy. However, I would be inclined to discount their opinions on account of the fact that they're idiots. I'm sorry, but it's just appallingly unfunny, unoriginal, puerile, predictable, poorly-performed rubbish, aimed towards really stupid people; the kind of lazy-minded imbeciles who won't find a joke funny unless it's absolutely ancient (usually stolen by O'Carroll from some other comedian) and has been signposted at least ten minutes in advance.

Having said that, I sort of admire Brendan O'Carroll's audacity. He's bringing the entire concept of "getting away with it" to a completely new level. In that respect, he's like the comedy equivalent of Bertie Ahern, pre-Mahon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The reason for O'Carroll's success is fairly simple to understand when compared against the history of British comedy & their love of vaudeville theatre.

The British population have for decades enjoyed performers in obvious drag, performing bawdy comedy - look to the 70s & 80s and Dick Emery / Kenny Everett for example, or Little Britain for a far more recent example - and they certainly never lost the taste for a 'silly paddy' routine either - look at Jedward.

It's dreadful comedy and pretty base / crass material, opinions be damned, but the Brits simply love this form of comedy as it tallies with what they've always enjoyed down through the years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Love it and delighted for him!!

What's even more fun is all the pseuds who think they know ANYTHING about television on this forum spluttering into their muesli this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

You are correct and it did hence the bafta :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

You may not like him or his show,but it was worth him winning,just to see the look on the face of that pile of ****e ,Jack-I'm as funny as a kick the bollocks-Whitehouse.

So that alone,fair play Brendan:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

tallpaul wrote: »
    Love it and delighted for him!!

What's even more fun is all the pseuds who think they know ANYTHING about television on this forum spluttering into their muesli this morning!
    Slice of schaudenfreude for table two! The 'everyone has an opinion' defense works both ways you know: just because a lot of people think Mrs. Brown's Boys is a godawful sitcom doesn't make them 'pseuds'. Might make them easier to dismiss, but the argument about how bad the show is as compelling as any viewership figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Brendan O'Carroll is not everyone's taste but neither is all streams of humor.
    Some adore bill hicks, personally I could not listen to it to save my life.

Long and short, an Irish comedian/writer has won a BAFTA, can we not be proud and happy for this fact.

Too much bregrudgery.

Well done Brendan. Keep up the good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Once again, it's not begrudgery. It's also not good work, in the sense of his comedic content anyway.

You're just proud that Ireland won an award. So, that's the only 'good work' I can glean from that comment. That's a perfectly acceptable thing to be happy in that regard, but for anyone that has some negativity as to the merits of this accolade, it's not begrudgery.

People are entitled to voice dissatisfaction if they think his style of comedy complete tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes i agree

don't mean to be sniffy, but its suppose to be a prestigous award for excellence in TV & film....for that reason i'm totally gobsmacked:eek: that this tripe has won...it makes the carry on movies look like a work of shakespeare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

There are plenty of 'great' comedies out there that I thought were crap, Little Britain being the most glaring one. That was pure crap. Ricky Gervaise's efforts post-office were crap. he relied on celeb cameos to keep the audience coming back. Mrs. Brown's Boys mightn't be the best out there but it's honest enough for what it is. I think some of it is funny but not all of it but good for the guy. Well done to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jack Whitehall's dead expression at 1:50 says it all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Don't like Brendan O'Carroll.
    HATE Mrs. Brown's Boys....

...and I couldn't give two f*cks about him winning a BAFTA. I don't even care if he wins an Oscar (somehow!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Mrs Brown's boys was never to my taste, although I admire what Brendan O'Carroll has done. Whether you like it or not he's successful at what he does. So eff the begrudgers, as he succinctly put it: 'Mrs Brown put my kids through college.

I've met him. He's highly intelligent and good at what he does and an awful lot of people enjoy his work. Since when is that a reason for the begrudgers and 'pseuds' to hammer him because his work doesn't fit in with their preconceived notions of comedy or entertainment?

Now I said Mrs Brown's boys wasn't to my taste. But then I watched an episode expecting it to be the train wreck that is Killinascully or Sgt Mattie:mad:.

But O'Carroll is better than Pat Shortt. There are some genuinely hilarious moments. I particularly like when he clearly goes off script to the obvious discomfort of the other actors.

So well done O'Carroll.

• Advertisement

No, I wouldn't discount their opinions simply because it's not my type of comedy. However, I would be inclined to discount their opinions on account of the fact that they're idiots. I'm sorry, but it's just appallingly unfunny, unoriginal, puerile, predictable, poorly-performed rubbish, aimed towards really stupid people; the kind of lazy-minded imbeciles who won't find a joke funny unless it's absolutely ancient (usually stolen by O'Carroll from some other comedian) and has been signposted at least ten minutes in advance.

Having said that, I sort of admire Brendan O'Carroll's audacity. He's bringing the entire concept of "getting away with it" to a completely new level. In that respect, he's like the comedy equivalent of Bertie Ahern, pre-Mahon.

So you do realise you're calling 888000 people in Ireland and 6.6 million people in the UK idiots purely because they watch and enjoy a show? Just making sure you're ok with the generalisation!

Advertisement