Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Maxi the world's first Female Quiz Show host?

• 16-02-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

I know in the US the presenter of Blind Date in the 1950's was a woman but in terms of Quiz Show rather then Game Show was Maxi the first Female Quiz Show host with Rapid Roulette on RTÉ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Where In The World with Theresa Lower came slightly afterwards?

Maxi was the second presenter of Rapid Roulette. The first was a very dour man called Maurie Taylor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Elmo wrote: »
    I know in the US the presenter of Blind Date in the 1950's was a woman but in terms of Quiz Show rather then Game Show was Maxi the first Female Quiz Show host with Rapid Roulette on RTÉ?

Angela Rippon presented 'Masterteam' on BBC1 in 1985. That would have been before Maxi was on 'Rapid Roulette'

I've no idea about other female Quiz Show presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Skid wrote: »
    Angela Rippon presented 'Masterteam' on BBC1 in 1985. That would have been before Maxi was on 'Rapid Roulette'

I've no idea about other female Quiz Show presenters.

Theresa Lowe said in an article on the TV50 site that is was a brave move by RTÉ to use a Female presenter for a Quiz as it hadn't happened much except for Blinddate which is a gameshow. Though it is only the odd time you see a Female presenter of a Quiz Show even nowadays. The Weakest Link has ended and that was hosted by Eamon Dunphy here. 4 Connect is the only one I can think of atm, and I suppose those awful Celebrity Sports Quiz shows.

Any clips of Rapid Roulette? Would be interesting to see the Original host. And the Game. I was very young when it was on but thought, at the time, it was a good format, but I think I just liked the Magnets for each of the contestant's categories topics. I vaguely remember them opening a locker with a key behind them with where the categories where contained, followed by Maxi rolling the ball for some reason. And only remember 2 contestants. Also was it on Tuesday Nights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Interesting article. I think Maxi was certainly one of the first female Quiz Show presenters, in this part of the World anyway. But I think they are wrong to say It wasn’t until the late ‘90s in the UK that a woman hosted a purely general knowledge quiz show and that was Anne Robinson on ‘The Weakest Link’. Masterteam was a few years earlier, more information on that here http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Masterteam_(1)

The only things I remember about 'Rapid Roulette' are that there was a male presenter before Maxi and that the catchphrase was 'leave the table' when you lost, which the Presenter and the audience said together.
    Theresa Lowe said in an article on the TV50 site that is was a brave move by RTÉ to use a Female presenter for a Quiz as it hadn't happened much except for Blinddate which is a gameshow. Though it is only the odd time you see a Female presenter of a Quiz Show even nowadays. The Weakest Link has ended and that was hosted by Eamon Dunphy here. 4 Connect is the only one I can think of atm, and I suppose those awful Celebrity Sports Quiz shows.

Any clips of Rapid Roulette? Would be interesting to see the Original host. And the Game. I was very young when it was on but thought, at the time, it was a good format, but I think I just liked the Magnets for each of the contestant's categories topics. I vaguely remember them opening a locker with a key behind them with where the categories where contained, followed by Maxi rolling the ball for some reason. And only remember 2 contestants. Also was it on Tuesday Nights?

Rapid Roulette started in September 1986. Tuesday evenings for the entire run (it ended in March 1990). Maurie Taylor had appeared in a UTV play called Hidden Curriculum which had been broadcast in 1985 so he was vaguely familar.

Roulette wheel. I don't have any episodes recorded unfortunately - have no idea if anyone does. For whatever reason Ireland is very dissimilar to the UK in that regard. Fewer VCRs and not as many people bothered about archiving stuff.

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Rapid Roulette started in September 1986. Tuesday evenings for the entire run (it ended in March 1990). Maurie Taylor had appeared in a UTV play called Hidden Curriculum which had been broadcast in 1985 so he was vaguely familar.

Roulette wheel. I don't have any episodes recorded unfortunately - have no idea if anyone does. For whatever reason Ireland is very dissimilar to the UK in that regard. Fewer VCRs and not as many people bothered about archiving stuff.

We did from the Mid-1990s but we recorded all of the wrong stuff as we thought they would ever be on all that often, bloody Friends. There was a guy who recorded allot of The Den. Suppose people had cable over VCRs in the 1980s (though we didn't get our first VCR until 1993 and cable until 1999).
    Skid wrote: »
    The only things I remember about 'Rapid Roulette' are that there was a male presenter before Maxi and that the catchphrase was 'leave the table' when you lost, which the Presenter and the audience said together.

The first walk of shame, with the whole audience telling you to "LEAVE THE TABLE", I don't remember that part but it sounds like fun :D

We did from the Mid-1990s but we recorded all of the wrong stuff as we thought they would ever be on all that often, bloody Friends. There was a guy who recorded allot of The Den. Suppose people had cable over VCRs in the 1980s (though we didn't get our first VCR until 1993 and cable until 1999).

I started recording stuff in 1981 on a neighbour's VCR. Blank tapes were £12 - £14 each at that point so there was a lot of "re-using". We got a VCR later in the 1980s and by then the price of tapes had come down significantly. I still have a couple of thousand films that I recorded on VHS from about 1986 - 2006. Some television series too but the vast majority of the latter have now made it to DVD. I always edited out the adverts (to save room) which is something I now regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Jaysus. I never thought anyone would be getting misty-eyed over that show.
    In Dublinese it was 'Rapih Rouleh' :)

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

ninja900 wrote: »
    Jaysus. I never thought anyone would be getting misty-eyed over that show.
    In Dublinese it was 'Rapih Rouleh' :)

Why not? As I grew up in 2 TV Land I rarely get missed eyed over anything on UK TV.

Advertisement