Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkie - Health Problems

• 12-07-2009 8:43am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Our (small) Yorkshire Terrier is almost 12 years old now. Recently we noticed that his rear end looked rather large and swollen which the vet informed us was a rectal prolapse. Apparently this can go at any time so we have the vet's emergency number in case it happens we've to get him seen to ASAP. He also has a crackle in one of his lungs so he tends to cough and splutter quite a bit and has been this way for a while. He was on anti-inflammatory meds for about a year because his leg wasn't right, but then he seemed to hurt it and wouldn't put it down so he was switched to steroids which have helped, though he seems to eat and drink a good deal more nowadays.

Obviously he's not getting any younger, he has a great personality and rarely misses a beat. A few months back the vet said he had the heart of a 50 year old, but that was before the development of the prolapse and highlighting of the lung problem. Hopefully the heart thing is still true. I think he also suggested that the kidneys can go in Yorkies so if he starts peeing a lot that's a sign of this problem. It's hard to believe he's almost 12, the time has gone by so fast.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It's not nice to see your dog get ill :(

Were you looking for more advice on what you can do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I suppose I meant to ask if anyone had dealt with a rectal prolapse before. Apparently it will be somewhat obvious when it happens. He did a poo on the kitchen floor last night, suppose it could happen when he's straining. He's on some sort of special food that contains glucosamine (I think) which is to provide nutrients for his joints. We could only get a 3 or 5kg bag - he doesn't even weigh that much himself!

Ah goodness the poor thing!
    Yeah glucosamine helps with joints, I wonder could you get glucosamine& chondroitin? that's also for helping with cartilage around the joints (used to take it myself).
    I've no experience of the prolapse but maybe someone else in here will and be able to give you more info :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks, sp.

He's doing OK, I think. His cough has gotten worse, though.

:( maybe bring him back to the vet? is there anything you can give him for the cough?

• Advertisement

The elders seem to be thinking of using a miniscule amount of Benylin..
    A visit to the vet might be in order.

Aye or even ring the vet for advice -- I wouldn't give any human medicines to dogs (or other animals) because they can do major damage or things we don't even know.

Just an update on this. He's been a bit poorly lately and has been to the vet a few times. His leg was bandaged up for around 10 days because of a leg problem, turns out it was more of a toe problem, I think. His toe is sort of sticking out and is more or less dead. He was often licking his feet for one reason or another, nails being too long, etc. He's too old for surgery and it turns out he can't really stand now so going to the loo is difficult for him. The bandage has been left off and we dip his leg in salt water after he's been outside (with supervision) to prevent any infections. At this stage his lungs aren't great, he's not wheezing or anything, but he has a crackle or two. I don't things were helped by the fact that he fell all the way down stairs, this was a few days before the leg bandages were due to come off. I didn't see it, but I heard it and it was one of the most awful things I've ever heard. He seemed fine afterwards, didn't know what all of the fuss was about or why we were all worried. He didn't complain at all.

I was not at the vet appointment tonight, but the vet thought something might be now wrong with his spine (hence the not standing, suppose that could be from the fall or just down to the bad toe), but lungs seem to be the main sign of things going south. His mobility hasn't been great in the last few years and we've big mats in the kitchen specifically for him. He's a family pet so it's very sad in that sense. I don't think I'll get a pet of my own if I ever have a house or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

My sister has a 15 year old Jack Russell with a uterine prolapse and a cough similar to the one you described. She noticed the prolapse back in July and brought her to the vet who basically said that due to her age there was no point in operating on the prolapse as it could do more harm than good. She was sent home and told to keep an eye on her to see if she was in any pain or having difficulty going to the toilet or sitting down. As the prolapse appeared and grew so quickly we thought she only had a few weeks left but its now November and she is still in good form and doesn't seem to be bothered by the prolapse

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

prolapses can be unpredictable, it might be tomorrow or it might never happen again as far as i know. only thing you can do is your best, ive heard certain foods can lessen the chances of it happening but i dont know how true that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I'm so sorry your dog is sick. I have a little yorkie she is only 18 months but this story has upset me. Not fair, poor dog. :(

Black Oil - my heart goes out to ye, it must be heartbreaking to see him so sick - but you're doing your best and I'm sure he knows that.

Thanks everyone. He sleeps a lot now (when do dogs not do this!). He doesn't seem down or anything so I hope he's in reasonably good spirits. He has to snort or bark to get our attention if he wants a drink even though there's a jar of water next to his bed. He's been given some steroids as well.

Apparently, given the state of his lungs, we're not to expect more than a few months and we're to 'be prepared'.

On a more positive note, he seems in fairly good spirits, not depressed.

Sorry to hear your little guy is coming to the end of his life, you should be proud though, 12 is a good age for a dogs and he obviously had a good home with you. My GSD died at 13 of a stroke, it happened so quick that I never really got to say goodbye, I'm glad your getting to spend his last few months with him and he is in good spirits, enjoy this time

Thank you. :) He was enjoying some porridge this morning.

Well, he's over 13 now. Some good news, some bad. He has more health problems - he seems to have lost his hearing now and some of the skin on his back is quite raw and sort of balding a bit. This might be down to the steroids so the vet has switched him back to the anti-inflammatory meds. However, the vet said his heart is in good condition and he is now on meds for his lungs which were almost immediately effective...his coughing is almost non-existent meaning there's less strain on his lungs (and heart as well, I would presume) because when he was coughing before he wasn't really able to clear the fluid completely. Bit of an old man at this stage so he's on 3-4 meds. He's fairly quiet these days. His legs are still a bit dodgy and his rectal prolapse never popped or whatever. Other than that, things are OK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh bless him, he's a real little trouper isn't he? I do hope he stays well and so glad he has a loving family to take care of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Op Thanks for coming back with an update!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

just after reading this. so sad.

• Advertisement

Well, his hearing has returned now. Not sure why, perhaps too much stuff was used in sorting his ear mites.

He had a bad night last night so we took him to the vet this morning. She recommended another tablet, but he's not interested in any food - ham, honey, etc to bribe him to take the tablet so we're going to try and go back to the vet. He's breathing is quite laboured.

Poor little guy, I hope he feels better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Im so sorry to hear about your little pet, like others have said, hes at a great old age and has had a great life. Lets hope he'll keep going for another bit, especially over christmas.

I have had yorkies my whole life (my family have)...but one in particular, my little Bubbles, a miniture. I loved her so much, a real lap dog, loved to just cuddle up with you and sleep and loved giving kisses. She also loved walking.

When she was around 6 (young, I know), she developed a sort of cough where she'd go in to rages of choke/cough, so Id rub her back. This went on for months and months, during these times, we had brought her to the vets and she was on steroids most of the time.

She gained alot of weight and would waddle along, she was so small. She went for an op to check her lungs etc. but gradually got worse. Two years on at the age of eight, after we tried everything, she was barely able to walk a metre without getting out of breath.

In the end, sadly, the vet suggested we put her down. I thought it was for the best as she could barely breathe anymore so we did. ill never forget that day. I held her in a blanket while the needle was prepared. i didnt let her go for over an hour. My Aunt had to take her away. I cried for well over a year.

I hope you are OK and you all have a good christmas and that your little yorkie will be ok.

He's gone. He died in his bed. It was quick and there was no yelping or suffering. I'm glad I didn't go shopping today and that he died here rather than at the vet's. He was 13. He had a great life and that's what counts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

So sorry to hear that OP :( What a little trooper though! You did so well looking after him in the last months, no more pain for him now!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Im so sorry to hear that he passed away. Im sure you took great care and he grew to a good age, the average of most terriers, no more suffering. Try to relax and have a good Christmas. Ok?

Take Care.

He's gone. He died in his bed. It was quick and there was no yelping or suffering. I'm glad I didn't go shopping today and that he died here rather than at the vet's. He was 13. He had a great life and that's what counts.

So sorry to hear he lost his fight today, take solace in knowing you gave him a good 13 years. He's at Rainbow Bridge now waiting for the day you are reunited!

Thanks for your posts. At first we thought he was having a seizure, but it happened in a few minutes. His lungs and heart gave all they were able to. It was strange to see him lifeless. I've caught myself going around rooms looking for him, but obviously he's not there.

Couldn't have asked for a better pet, though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Terribly sorry to hear of your loss, Black Oil.

I just hope my Yorkie is as happy and loved as yours, in 13 years time.

All the best

Advertisement