Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

DoE testing - The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

FAIL.

4 problems, 2 I can do myself. The screenwash doesn't spray enough, so maybe clean out the pipes etc. One of the front tyres is the incorrect index for the load but I can lash on the spare. The two other problems are a front shock imbalance and too much play in the wheel bearings, so need both bearings and a shock. Have someone looking into the cost now but could be worse.

Good for you for getting the test.

I don't think an annual service would have found these problems, which is what some people were saying, on an earlier thread re (anti)testing.

Makes your camper more reliable/safer on the road.

Slidey wrote: »
    I was only going by what truck drivers have experienced at the side of the road when they would get caught telling porkies saying they had a test when they didn't.

I know I tested a vehicle that was stopped at a checkpoint the day before I tested it. One day after the monthly report was submitted a member of the RSA rang me quizzing me on what it failed on

Perhaps registration details of vehicles stopped are passed on to R.S.A. for follow-ups?
    As far as getting caught is concerned for us, I would think we will have to produce the cert from the local road tax office then and there or, I would imagine be given a number of days to produce at a local barracks.

I will 'phone my contact tomorrow and ask what the situation will be so watch this space.

"Boing" said Zebedee, " and so to bed".

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Hi

Has anyone used the beam benders on their headlamps to pass new test?

I know they pass the MOT in England but just wondering if they'll pass here?

I have mine on but not entirely sure if they are fitted correct? Anyone got a picture of theirs? I'm driving a 1999 Fiat Ducato MH.

Thanks

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    play in front or rear wheel bearings , and what year? If it's the front of a ducato , it's a bit of a b1tch of a job TBH . Done a fair few by now .

96 Ducato, play in the front bearings. Have a mechanic buddy and he reckons hour and a half for each side. They cost 69 each plus VAT. I managed to find a good value shock on ebay so i'm hoping to 'soften' the blow, get it? ;)

Good for you for getting the test.

I don't think an annual service would have found these problems, which is what some people were saying, on an earlier thread re (anti)testing.

Makes your camper more reliable/safer on the road.

Yeah, it's a pain in the hole but it was a totally unsustainable position to have completely untested vehicles trundling down the road. To be fair, with a 1996 van I think one shock and the front bearings is a good enough result. I'd say the test centres are delighted to have a new cohort of customers.

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »
    I was only going by what truck drivers have experienced at the side of the road when they would get caught telling porkies saying they had a test when they didn't.

I know I tested a vehicle that was stopped at a checkpoint the day before I tested it. One day after the monthly report was submitted a member of the RSA rang me quizzing me on what it failed on

Just been talking to RSA.

The above would have been because it was a RSA Inspector at the checkpoint not just the Gardai.

Gardai will give 10 days in which to produce cert same as with any documents.
    Yes all records are kept on a data base in Shannon and Gardai can get information from there if required. It's this system that new software is being written for in order for them to send out reminders of due dates.

Letters are going out as we speak to ALL 11,000 odd camper owners.
    RSA admitted that they took on board my comments that not everybody reads newspaper adverts and discovered it would work out cheaper to send us each a letter.

He expects windscreen discs to be sorted in time for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Taxed mine yesterday and was never asked for a DOE cert.

It's booked in for 9th March anyway so fingers crossed.

Swanner wrote: »
    Taxed mine yesterday and was never asked for a DOE cert.

It's booked in for 9th March anyway so fingers crossed.

No reason for them to ask before 1st March, but then they will!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

96 Ducato, play in the front bearings. Have a mechanic buddy and he reckons hour and a half for each side. They cost 69 each plus VAT. I managed to find a good value shock on ebay so i'm hoping to 'soften' the blow, get it? ;)

1.5 hr for a wheel bearing? Does he work for McLaren F1? Has he done one before?

Re Beam benders , my local centre has accepted several with beam benders , however I used a proper beam setter to fit them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I would fit them for people if they had them with them when they came in for the test. It only takes a minute when you have a beam setter.

It would be very difficult otherwise

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    1.5 hr for a wheel bearing? Does he work for McLaren F1? Has he done one before?

Well, don't know if he's that good but he's a mate so probably doing me a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭WildWater

Letters are going out as we speak to ALL 11,000 odd camper owners.
    RSA admitted that they took on board my comments that not everybody reads newspaper adverts and discovered it would work out cheaper to send us each a letter.

Got my letter in this mornings post. I have mine booked in for its test this day week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mrgriswold

Got my letter of information about the test today 27th of February. I know you would have to be living under a rock not to know the law was coming in but this was the first piece of official information I received. It must have been and official in the department of finance who did the maths... a possible situation where up to 11,000 vehicles would have to be tested in 198 test locations in 3 working days! Genius
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Got my letter today too.

I have a question. My camper is an '82. Will it be exempt in two years or is it only campers prior to 1980 that are exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

Got my letter today too.

I have a question. My camper is an '82. Will it be exempt in two years or is it only campers prior to 1980 that are exempt?

I don't so to be honest, I think they are using the rule of the pre 1980 existing on car, which are NCT exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Exactly. It's either pre 80 or it's not.

Unless they change the rules your camper will require a cert.

I got my letter today and it does not make me happy to be honest. :mad:

The cost of it is ridiculous, and as my camper is more then 10 years old, and I don't think I do 2000 km a year it is a costy business.

Please don't tell me it make the road safer, as if you really want the road safer you don't price this way !! To me it is a money maker business, and it was the same for the car.... I am not saying it to not improve the safety just that it is make to make money more then anything else.

I am wondering when do I actually need to have the camper tested, as in the later it is not clear?
    As if it need to be in 2 days, it is going to be a short. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Where can I get beam benders ?

In halfords for about a €10, if you can find it a normal will do the trick I think but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

I've just read all the testing details and I see that they won't need to go inside.

No need to tidy up, hide the booze etc.:D

the seat belts in the rear also need to be checked.

• Advertisement

superfly35 wrote: »

The cost of it is ridiculous, and as my camper is more then 10 years old, and I don't think I do 2000 km a year it is a costy business.

Please don't tell me it make the road safer, as if you really want the road safer you don't price this way !! To me it is a money maker business, and it was the same for the car.... I am not saying it to not improve the safety just that it is make to make money more then anything else.

I am wondering when do I actually need to have the camper tested, as in the later it is not clear?

Doe test centres are privatly owned companys. And to operate the franchise of a vtn test centre, the test centre has to pay wages. Paint all the walls paticular colours. Spend nearly e1 million on equipment. Pay e40 per year on liciences for the computer programs. Pay huge amounts on council rates due to the size of the buildings, the electricity costs for the brake testers is huge due to current required. So very little money, if any is made from testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Pjwal wrote: »

That's interesting and you're probably right.
    But mine passed last week and the rear seatbelts were/are tidied away behind the cushions as they are rarely used.

Pjwal wrote:
    superfly35 wrote: »

Doe test centres are privatly owned companys. And to operate the franchise of a vtn test centre, the test centre has to pay wages. Paint all the walls paticular colours. Spend nearly e1 million on equipment. Pay e40 per year on liciences for the computer programs. Pay huge amounts on council rates due to the size of the buildings, the electricity costs for the brake testers is huge due to current required. So very little money, if any is made from testing.
    I mean 40k on liciences.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Pjwal wrote:

That's interesting and you're probably right.
    But mine passed last week and the rear seatbelts were/are tidied away behind the cushions as they are rarely used.

Somebody didn't do thier job full then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

No done the job fine DOE does not include a seatbelt check !

Slidey wrote:
    Not entirely true.

At the end of each month a report is sent in from each test centre. Gardai have access to this database I believe

I would imagine that these reports are paper reports that are filed somewhere.

When I asked my contact at the R.S.A. in Ballina about being notified when the test is due I was told that it would be down to the centre where you had the previous one done as they were the only people with that sort of information to hand, until the new central system is set up.

The reports are on computer and sent electronicaly at the end of each month to the rsa. So once a test is done, the results are available to the rsa and guards at the start of the next calender month.

Pjwal wrote:
    No done the job fine DOE does not include a seatbelt check ![/Quo

Yes it does. I am a doe tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭niloc1951

No done the job fine DOE does not include a seatbelt check ![/Quo

Yes it does. I am a doe tester.

What exactly are the checks.
    How do you know which seating is classed as 'travel seats' and whether they are required, based on date of first registration, to have seat belts fitted, and which seats are not classed as 'travel seats' and do not require seatbelts.
    Obviously I am not referring to the two cab seats in the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

Hi all,
    tested my camper van last January2011, from what I have read in rsa letter yesterday this allows me twelve months till January 2013 .Am i correct .My camper is fifteen years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭WildWater

camper guy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    tested my camper van last January2011, from what I have read in rsa letter yesterday this allows me twelve months till January 2013 .Am i correct .My camper is fifteen years old.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the camper is over 10 years old then the test is annual. If you were last tested in Jan 2011 then you are due again now as your van is 10+ years.

Advertisement