Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 10 - sub 60 + top 100 t-shirt!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

Wednesday, 22 February - 8 miles easy; 7:38 min/mile; Avg HR 148

Friday, 24 February - 12.4 miles; 6:59 min/mile; Avg HR messed up

Plans for a few more hard sessions this week fell by the wayside as a result of picking up a virus - finally felt well enough for a run today so went at a steady pace.

Saturday, 25 February - 8 miles; Avg 7:21 min/mile; Avg HR messed up

Supposed to be an easy pace but felt wrecked for this.

51 miles for the week -second highest weekly mileage but only one session.

Thursday, 1 March - nothing done today and nothing done all week - been battling a sore throat / cold all week. Finally feel I'm getting over it. Debating whether to run 4 easy miles tomorrow - though I might just wait til Sunday / race day before I run again. Maybe catching a cold and an enforced layoff this week will work to my advantage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Well??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

Well??!!

Sunday, 4 March - Ballycotton 10

Unfortunately I bombed. As mentioned in previous posts I've been suffering a cold / sore throat this week and I was hopeful I'd be rid of it by race day. That proved optimistic - despite consuming lots of kiwis, oranges, manuka honey and lemsips, I couldn't get rid of the virus. I revised my race plans and decided to aim for 31 minutes for the first 5 and then push on in the second half if I felt strong. I knew after mile 1 that wasn't realistic.....

First mile was about 5:57 which with the downhill was fairly conservative in normal circumstances. Despite this I didn't feel good. Did 5:58 for mile 2 - this included the steep downhill section. I kept holding back on the pace but despite this, I felt terrible - no energy. A 6:23 third mile finished off any hope. I felt like retiring but that meant running against the flow of runners and the shame that goes with that. So I struggled on with a goal of just finishing. Streams of runners passed me but I had no energy to do anything about it. Pace was 6:40 or 6:50 per mile - normally this would be very comfortable but not today. After 4 miles of drifting back through the field I made an effort to hold onto a passing group around mile 7 - it was hardship but kept with them and pushed the last mile in 6:12. Shagged at the end. 65:05 - slower than a training run I did a few weeks ago, way slower than my 10 mile pb of 60:55 and last year's Ballycotton 10 time of 62:19 (when I hardly trained:rolleyes:). I'd really have liked to give it my best effort.

Might try salvage something from all the training I've been doing - maybe target a 10km pb or consider another 10 mile race in the next 6 weeks before I go back to kayaking proper.

Thanks to anyone reading / comments / advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

kaymin wrote: »
    Sunday, 4 March - Ballycotton 10

Unfortunately I bombed. As mentioned in previous posts I've been suffering a cold / sore throat this week and I was hopeful I'd be rid of it by race day. That proved optimistic - despite consuming lots of kiwis, oranges, manuka honey and lemsips, I couldn't get rid of the virus. I revised my race plans and decided to aim for 31 minutes for the first 5 and then push on in the second half if I felt strong. I knew after mile 1 that wasn't realistic.....

First mile was about 5:57 which with the downhill was fairly conservative in normal circumstances. Despite this I didn't feel good. Did 5:58 for mile 2 - this included the steep downhill section. I kept holding back on the pace but despite this, I felt terrible - no energy. A 6:23 third mile finished off any hope. I felt like retiring but that meant running against the flow of runners and the shame that goes with that. So I struggled on with a goal of just finishing. Streams of runners passed me but I had no energy to do anything about it. Pace was 6:40 or 6:50 per mile - normally this would be very comfortable but not today. After 4 miles of drifting back through the field I made an effort to hold onto a passing group around mile 7 - it was hardship but kept with them and pushed the last mile in 6:12. Shagged at the end. 65:05 - slower than a training run I did a few weeks ago, way slower than my 10 mile pb of 60:55 and last year's Ballycotton 10 time of 62:19 (when I hardly trained:rolleyes:). I'd really have liked to give it my best effort.

Might try salvage something from all the training I've been doing - maybe target a 10km pb or consider another 10 mile race in the next 6 weeks before I go back to kayaking proper.

Thanks to anyone reading / comments / advice.
    sorry to hear that things didnt go well for you kaymin, you should definately try another 10 mile, do mallow! dont let all the work go to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Unlucky mate. I think you can afford to go a lot easier in training and save it for the race. You were doing some savage paces in training. The hard paces in training might have led to missing recovery days with niggles and fatigue etc. Better to go a bit easier on session days so you can still do all recovery days and keep mileage consistent. With a nice easy consistent couple of weeks now you could have a good salvage in Mallow or otherwise do a good 10k in a while like you suggested. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

+1 to what Larry said above, you've a very good base in. If you ease back into it now you could give a 10k a right go. Your log along with Bart's is one I've been following with a while. Fair play to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Very sorry to hear that kaymin, but I agree with what the others are saying about the Mallow 10.

Inspiring stuff though, you must just have given me notions myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Mallow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Unlucky man. It was not your day. Recover for a few days, head to Mallow and set the record straight.

Advertisement