Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: PS Vita... Is it trolling if...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just wait until they announce Monster Hunter 4G on it. Japanese sales are almost entirely irrelevant until then. The inevitable price drop should do wonders too.

I've a feeling Nintendo are going to get Monster Hunter first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I personally think there is one big reason why the PS Vita is not selling well in Japan: there are no games out for it that the Japanese audience wants.

The games available are very Western-focused. Sony should have released it in NA first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, if Nintendo does get the next true Monster Hunter, then it'll be a far better time to start composing the Vita obituary. The Japanese market is a very eccentric place, after all - what causes popularity over there is wildly different to over here. The games that sell consoles over there - MH, Dragon Quest, visual novels etc... - sit on shelves here. Personally, I think until more Japanese-centric software is released, whatever it may be, it's hard to call it a failure when it has just launched.

Games consoles are no longer defined by their sales in the first month. Look at the 3DS - how many people on here wrote the console off earlier this year after a few months of inactivity? Then suddenly a huge influx of big names and even bigger sales.

Not denying the possibilities that the Vita will be a commercial failure. But perhaps we should step back and look at its successes and failures as a piece of hardware before we call it dead in the water. Is the Neo Geo Pocket a failure because of its low sales? Anyone who's played it would probably disagree. If, a year hence, the Vita is still completely devoid of engaging software and hemorrhaging sales, then perhaps it can be considered a failure. As it stands, few of us have even played the darn thing, and it's only launched in one territory. Sony have and always will make mistake - but they'll always have the money to try and rectify them, too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep, way too early to tell at this stage. Even if nintendo gets Monster Hunter first I'm pretty sure there's a few companies out there working on a monster hunter clone to beat it to the punch since it's all japanese comapnies seem to be making these days and ruining franchises by turning them into monster hunter clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

By comparison, the Nintendo 3DS had sold 742,244 units in its first few weeks of launch, with the Vita moving 458,347 over the same time period. That means Vita sales are about 300,000 units behind the 3DS, a device that received a prompt price drop due to low numbers. Does this mean a price drop is on the horizon for Vita? Maybe, maybe not.

sorry, but its not that bad...

lets remember that 3ds consoles sold, but software was just not there. yes maybe VITA has lower sales, but they are not so horrible! Its sony, they turned around ps3, they will turn around this too, i have no doubts. ( *just hopes no one will remember psp go fluke :p )

the way some people ilustrating it, that there were sold 7 PS VITA's world wide...

i think its too much drama and its being burried way to early, when 3ds came out everyone were banging their shovels and wanted to see nintendo fail! Now 3ds is back on track with some really great titles.

very good point mentioned here: there are no games that JAP market likes. As soon as it will get those proper "only in japan..." titles PS vita will sell.

remember that DS is very popular here, but in JAP PSP is the king. Even now ps VITA launch titles and upcoming titles are more focused on western market?

*i am not being racist lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Nintendo's deal with Capcom was for Monster Hunter 3G and another Monster Hunter game.

At best Sony can hope for a concurrent release of the next Monster Hunter game but the days of the Sony handheld being the lead platform - especially seeing Vita's anemic sales numbers and likely rocky road to a large install base.

Capcom have exhibited strange exclusivity sensibilities before - Resident Evil and GameCube - but even they can't afford to do likewise with their only true cash cow.

The reason Monster Hunter matters far more than any clone is because it drives Japanese development to the point that simply knowing the Vita had an exclusive Monster Hunter would make many Japanese publishers green-light new Vita projects. It effects us hugely, if indirectly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm telling ya, FFVII and they'll be laughing their way to the bank!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've had a go on a Vita. Specifically, I had a go at FIFA 12 on the Vita and it was unquestionably the best version of FIFA I've ever played (and I've played most of them at some stage). I'm not a huge fan of the FIFA series, but if I owned a Vita, I'd buy FIFA for it :) Why? The touch screen to pass/shoot feature completely changed how the game works for me.

It's the first hand held in a long time that's piqued my interest, but I don't see myself splashing for one. I have an Android phone and am looking at getting a small tablet for reading books and comics and they now fill the "gap" in my time that would previously allowed for a dedicated portable gaming system.

In many ways it's a pity because it's a very impressive piece of hardware. The graphical quality was absolutely top notch (more or less on par with current gen stuff) and the fact that it can HDMI out to your telly and double up as a home console of sorts is something that should be explored a bit more.

Enderman wrote: »
    I'm telling ya, FFVII and they'll be laughing their way to the bank!

With the way Final Fantasy has fallen out of favour recently and how FFX is the new japanese favourite it won't make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

PS Vita isn't out of the race yet, annoys me how the gaming community always does this, they were saying the same thing about the 3DS after its launch, now they're singing its praises. I'd imagine the vita would have a much more better launch in the west with the available games obviously, but better games are coming. We haven't seen E3 yet, I'm sure they have some stuff right up their sleeve. And it truly is some impressive hardware. Remains to be seen how it measures up to the 3DS, but its not even out here yet. Bit early to saying 'its doomed' (not that you guys said that exactly, general internet reaction)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The current success of the 3DS proves that their still is a market for dedicated gaming handhelds. All this DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEDDDD lark is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I hope the vita can provide a unique great gaming experience not found elsewhere. Portable versions of console games probably won't cut it in 2012. Best of luck to em. Looking forward to a price cut and some games I need to play...

in all fairness if it will be able to provide same quality games as home console, then i am so buying it.

i love to play 3ds in bed, while misses watching telly. ofc i cant play consoles before bed as she is watching her crap... so if i will be able to have a console in my hands... well then its awesome!

i know it defeats the purpose of being handheld an play on the go, but in my case its perfect. in fact i am so buying that new resident evil game for 3DS, but my 3ds havent been outside home even once since launch...

one thing for sure: i am not buying it on launch day same way i did not bought my 3ds.

Vita has coming

Killzone
    Resistance
    Final fantasy X(favorite final fantasy)
    Zone of the enders collection
    Bioshock
    Assassins creed
    Call of duty
    Little big planet
    Metal gear collection
    Motorstorm

And for the launch, we've got

Uncharted, wipeout, lumines, ninja gaiden, rayman, super stardust. So yeah. Not worried.

i sow bioshock on list allright and got a wee bit surprised.

unfortunately there are no games i want from launch list :(.

still i will be looking in to VITA, anyone know for what price they will go at gamestops? i might aswell trade in my xbox 360, i am getting games for ps3 instead if i decide to play on console due to free online.

You'll be looking at 250 for a base wifi console, 50 extra for the 3G. I'd say games should be going for around 40, and a memory card.

cloud493 wrote: »
    You'll be looking at 250 for a base wifi console, 50 extra for the 3G. I'd say games should be going for around 40, and a memory card.

i wonder if memory card is included... even if small one.

Nope. Some games won't need memory cards, but a few, including Uncharted, will. And they'll be needed for PSN games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The PS Vita memory card has to be the greatest/worst scam Sony have ever pulled.

Having to get them memory sticks for the PSP was a pain the arse :p I'm just gonna get a small one, for game data only.

• Advertisement

Will games on vita work like ds games? You have save games on cartridges themselfs?

And then some games have to have that memory card.

So I guess 250eu for console + 30eu for card + 45eu for 1 game... I might not get one on launch so...

Well the bundles are along the lines of console + memory + game for 300, so :pac:

Plus, each store has advantages and disadvantages to trading in. Gamestop does 25% extra trade in value, when preordering something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well the bundles are along the lines of console + memory + card for 300, so :pac:

Plus, each store has advantages and disadvantages to trading in. Gamestop does 25% extra trade in value, when preordering something.

A memory and a card!? That's a bargain if I ever saw one!

Hmmmm I am Seriuosly thinking of trading in my slim xbox. I will keep the games as I got phat on in the box if I will get an urge to play some ( doubt ).

Will need to find out much would I get for it. Ps vita will be used way more often then Xbox.

Game* What gb is the console(xbox slim)? I can give you a fairly accurate estimate.

It's 250gb, I did not knew there are different size slims.

Yeah there's 4gb as well :P you'll get 160 - 170. 25% extra on that is 40 quid, so 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Nollog

Will games on vita work like ds games? You have save games on cartridges themselfs?

And then some games have to have that memory card.

So I guess 250eu for console + 30eu for card + 45eu for 1 game... I might not get one on launch so...
    Q: What kind of game medium will PS Vita support? What is the official name? Why did you decide to introduce it?
    A: It is a small flash memory based card, dedicated for PS Vita. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store add-on game content or the game save directly on the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich, immersive games. We will announce the official name at a later date.

Q: What are the features of the new game medium / storage media?
    A:
    New game medium
    It can not only store the full software titles but also save data as well as additional game content data. Therefore, the game title can be concluded with one piece of card.
    Users can play games by just inserting the game medium into PS Vita. (a separate storage media is not required.)
    As for storage media, we will announce details at a later date.

It might be worth buying a large memory card as Sony has said recently that they will be discounting games sold online compared with the same games sold at retail.

Yeah there's 4gb as well :P you'll get 160 - 170. 25% extra on that is 40 quid, so 200.

200 quid?! Seriously? That would be great. I will get to my GameStop just to find out for sure. Chesrs

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It might be worth buying a large memory card as Sony has said recently that they will be discounting games sold online compared with the same games sold at retail.

Damn, and game or GameStop are not bitching and threatening Sony for this?!

I know steam is getting alot of kick in the teeth for lower prices them shops ones on release.

Advertisement