Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby crows in attic

• 28-05-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

We've recently been hearing noises in the attic and after some investigation we've found baby crows nesting in the attic insulation.

Upon looking at the fascia at the back of the house we found a sizeable hole where the crow got in.

My problem now, is that I'm getting a guy to fit new fascia and sofit this week so I need the birds gone before the hole is filled up. If the baby's aren't ready to fly, how will I remove them and avoid a serious pecking by the mother!!.

Would the ISPCA remove them??.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

most humane thing to do might be to wait the few weeks till they're gone, is it at all possible? other than that I'd contact the SPCA, they may help you or put you in touch with someone who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

gigawatt wrote: »
    most humane thing to do might be to wait the few weeks till they're gone, is it at all possible? other than that I'd contact the SPCA, they may help you or put you in touch with someone who can.

Unfortunately it's not possible. My only opportunity is this week to get the work done. :( .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

We have the same situation here, we are waiting till they move on. I don't see how there could be any possible way to move them that would allow them to survive. Jackdaws are essentially pests, I can imagine the reaction people would get if they rang up the ISPCA asking for a family of rats to be relocated from their home, realisticly it's the same the thing. You have two choices, wait or pest control.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

BanjoB wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not possible. My only opportunity is this week to get the work done. :( .

Sounds like your only option is to trap and euthanize them - like certain other corvids(crows), jackdaws can be legally trapped and shot in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It just seems really a bit mean to kill baby chicks & totally traumatised the mother. you seem like a caring guy. Can't you explain to the fitter guy & arrange another time to have the work done in a while;.
    I'm sure bird watch Ireland or somebody in an organisation like that could tell you how long they take til they can survive on their own. Throwing them out would kill them all : (

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

It just seems really a bit mean to kill baby chicks & totally traumatised the mother. you seem like a caring guy. Can't you explain to the fitter guy & arrange another time to have the work done in a while;.
    I'm sure bird watch Ireland or somebody in an organisation like that could tell you how long they take til they can survive on their own. Throwing them out would kill them all : (

Get over yourself. How will they benefit society. They're a pest so just get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

TheTwiz wrote: »

Get over yourself. How will they benefit society. They're a pest so just get rid of them

Might I ask the same of you ?
    Human acts of kindness are what save us & separate us from the animal kingdom.
    Though crows are one of the few animals that feed their ageing parents when they are weak or suffering.They don't abandon them or let them die because they are an inconvenience or burden to them.

Apparently crows( inc magpies ) are rated the most intelligent species in the bird world; can remember events and prople and modify their behaviour to " suite" previous experiences; and are the only bird that can " make "/ use tools to perform jobs!!! Bit mad that!! Thry' re up there in the bird world Like the dolphin or chimps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

TheTwiz wrote: »

General rule of thumb - attack the post, not the poster. Please take heed.

Advertisement