Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

JC Decaux signs - take extra care

• 07-07-2008 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ok, I was annoyed enough with these things sprouting up - Now this is just taking the p1ss.... Dorset St/Synott Place. This is anglegrinder time.

Planning Montage - note the scale is wrong on the structure (compare height with traffic lights)
    promised.jpg

As erected;

SMDC0085.jpg
    Establishing shot - Spot the child in a buggy anyone (how about at 50kph?) Seriously take extra extra care at this junction, you might just find a ped under your wheels. This cannot be allowed to remain, this is rocks in the head stuff.

SMDC0086.jpg
    Stepping out...

SMDC0087.jpg
    Erected in the wrong place.

TrafficLight.jpg
    You have to be kidding me......
    5. The developer shall comply fully with the following requirements of the Roads & Traffic Planning Division; a) The proposed structure shall not impede any road signs, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, vision along kerb edge lines or any other road infrastructure. This may require a slight adjustment in the proposed location as submitted.

Slight adjustment I would recommend here would be about 3 metres to the left....into a skip!

From the pedestrian crossing...taken whilst standing on the tactile ped crossing surface.....

SMDC0091.jpg

Completely obscures oncoming traffic...

Motorists viewpoint

SMDC0084.jpg

Spot the ped walking out?

This goes beyond the argument of advertising on our footpaths. This is criminal negligence on the part of DCC, JCDecaux and the contractor. Someone will die at this crossing unless this is removed NOW!

These structures have been slammed by the Dublin Transportation Office, described as a road safety hazard by An Bord Pleanala, a report on their safety has been requested by a city counciller to which no response has been given. If I were a lawyer representing a injury or death compensation claim at this point. I would also be citing the Corporate Manslaughter Bill 2007

Grossly negligent management causing death:
    A high managerial agent may be guilty of grossly negligent management causing death if he knew or ought to have known of a substantial risk of death or personal harm and failed to take reasonable efforts to eliminate that risk. Penalties for grossly negligent management include:

A fine; and/or
    Up to 12 year's imprisonment; and or
    A Disqualification Order whereby the managerial agent may be disqualified from acting in a management capacity by the court for a period not exceeding 15 years.

Breach of the order gives rise to a fine of €3,000,000 and/or 2 years imprisonment and/or further disqualification for 10 years.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That is absolutely astounding.

Great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Hanley wrote: »
    That is absolutely astounding.

Great post.

+1

Unbelievable how little regard for human safety these muppets have.

Did you send to Dublin City Council as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Excellent post.

Does anyone have email addresses for The Sun or Herald? I'd say they'll cover that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

It's been said already, but this is a fantastic post. Because you went to such detail, it's had an actual affect on me. Nice work, I hope the relevant parties are made aware of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

+100!

Absolutely brilliant post, and you went to great trouble too - well done.

Maybe send this to Gay Byrne and all those at the RSA or whatever they call themselves. And don't forget, it's speeeeeed that kills... yeh right. This place is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Excellent post, your evidence is very well presented. Don't quit now, push this on other media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

+1 and from a biker, Its difficult enough not being seen without this ignorance. Someone could be in for a good lawsuit against DCC, JCDecaux and its contractors if this is the cause of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

On the other note I never ever understand why Dublin City Council always Worried about water scarcity
    <rant>
    FFS every summer here its flipping Indian Monsoon anyway, to make more depressing. Last summer they had big water proof banners in Liffey. The funniest part is after two days those banners drowned not coz high tide in liffey, it coz of too much Monsoon rains here. I think Dublin City Council has huge amount cash to splash on stupid meaning less adverts. Dublin City Council has colluded with ad agencies money is straight going to drains. Instead if they could spend small amount in filling pot holes Merion square and other places. Improve sporting facilities for kids.

A perfect example of naked corruption in City council. Tap tips my back side!!
    </rant>
    Sorry for the rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I can't get over how inept that planning montage is. It's hilarious actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Great thread starter.

This BS is all too common in Dublin.
    Whatever about this example, there are loads of examples of signs obscuring traffic lights, trees obscuring signs, conflicting information being displayed... it goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

great post. You'd have to wonder at the intelligence of people who erect these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Make a complaint asap and have it sorted out before some scruffy yabbo might see this as a free holiday and stage an accident..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Right folks - I'm on the warpath now.

Below are the mobile numbers of the Inner City councillors who have bullied by dublin city management into accepting this deal with JC Decaux. If you feel as I do that this should be removed then call or text them: (send an email to your friends pointing them to this thread)

Don't wait for 'someone else' to do this, and don't rely on 'the media' - It's your city, and these are your councillers. Be polite - but insist on action NOW! (tonights full council meeting) before someone gets hurt. Tell them you will be watching tonight's council meeting on the web.
    http://www.dublincity.public-i.tv/site/#webcast

MODEDIT
    mobile phone numbers deleted

POSTEREDIT - public record of councillors mobiles - that's what they are for!
    http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Councillors/YourLocalCouncillors/centralcouncillors/Pages/default.aspx

Details of consistant failure to address this safety issue;
    Dublin City Council at various fora have been repeatly warned of this danger.

John Henry of the Dublin Transportation Office warned Dublin City Council on 7th March 2007 (at the time planning applications were made) that this type of structure "constituted a traffic hazard" I have attached his letter to the Planning Office outlining the DTO stance on this type of structure and the dangers both to pedestrian safety and the risks of driver distraction.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00066031.pdf

On 9 th, 10th and 11th October, 2007 at the An Bord Pleanala Oral Appeal Hearing of the the grant of planning permission of 24 advertising structures again the submission of the Dublin Transportation Office highlighed their concern on basis of traffic hazard.

In relation to one case of the 24 that were brought before the board, that of a sign outside BDO Simpson Xavier on Mercer Street similarly sited at the kerb edge, Mr. Eoin Madden, Senior Engineer, Traffic & Roads, conceded the appeal;

"With regard to implications for the safety of pedestrians, Mr. Madden for the planning authority stated that the proposed sign would not pass a road safety audit and accepted the case made in the appeal at the oral hearing as endangerment to pedestrian safety in that the sign would block pedestrian views towards oncoming traffic exiting the two public carparks."
    http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/223/R223148.pdf

The Inspectors Report following the hearing re-enforced these public safety concerns:

"In spite of the cases made in the oral hearing submissions and the reference to the prevalence of similar signage in other cities, I am not convinced that adverse risk of distraction to motorists or other road and footpath users leading to endangerment of public safety can be eliminated."
    http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/223/R223101.pdf

Following the findings the concerns of the An Bord Pleanala Inspector were voiced in Council in March 2008, a report was requested on the Health and Safety aspects by Cllr Emer Costello in relation to these findings. To date that report has not been published.

Yet the planning authority have decided to take a 'suck it and see' approach to road safety, there is a perfectly adequate methodoly to conduct a Stage 2 road safety audit prior to construction, however in this case have opted to only insist on a Stage 3 road safety audit (in other words construction followed by audit - in the meantime while we are waiting for this audit, lives are endangered)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've e-mailed Today with Pat Kenny with the thread link.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Good work. Hopefully "the media" will highlight this and council will act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

That is absolutley rediculous, I can't believe stupid "mistakes" like this can still happen!

Well done for highlighting it - I'm sure there are more than a few people who have had a brush around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

I have emailed all four about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

They are the same breed of people that are trying to get us to vote YES for Lisbon, I.E. they don't think :D
    Is there a thread going that you can't shoehorn in a Lisbon reference into?

On topic, is there any popular support for a campaign highlighting obscured/incorrect/incoherent roadsigns and then hectoring the relevant councils into fixing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Robbo wrote: »

On topic, is there any popular support for a campaign highlighting obscured/incorrect/incoherent roadsigns and then hectoring the relevant councils into fixing them?

Definitely. Whilst not a Dub myself I have on many's an occasion used Dorset St and other north dub thoroughfares...it's tough enough at the best of times without ill thought out additional obstacles being added into the mix.

This is just the tip of the iceberg really and well laid out by the OP.
    Personally speaking there are two roundabouts and a Y junction near me where the UDC themselves have erected signposting that completely obscures a motorists view of the one thing they should be able to see; oncoming traffic from the right. Don't even get me started on obscured traffic lights, warning/speed limit signs and in some cases, roads themselves that are under visible due to overgrowth of foliage, non-enforced illegal parking or the recent referendum billboards.
    As someone alluded to above, the RSA and the rest are all over this "speed kills" campaign, but yet other much more tangible dangers of visibility are allowed to slide and in many cases caused by local governing bodies...50 kmph may be the accepted urban speed limit, but when you don't see someone walking/driving out in front of you till the last possible second through obscurity, then 50 kmph can be a death sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Lost for words.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Lost for words.

Please find some and call the councillors.....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Texted all four Cllrs expressing outrage and demanding immediate removal.
    This is absolutely unbelievable, how was this allowed to happen.

How on earth did the workmen at ground zero step back and say, "right, that's a job well done, off we go", especially when it was known well in advance that it would almost certainly pose serious problems. Heads need to roll for this. This is the stupidest thing they've done since they disabled the audible road crossing signals for the blind.

Fantastic post by MadsL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Send that onto BBC's topgear. They are always looking for **** like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

sionnach wrote: »
    How on earth did the workmen at ground zero step back and say, "right, that's a job well done, off we go", especially when it was known well in advance that it would almost certainly pose serious problems. Heads need to roll for this. This is the stupidest thing they've done since they disabled the audible road crossing signals for the blind.

Because, like most employees of the state, they are only paid from the neck down.

Thinking for themselves is not something permitted by their union.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Stubleuponed too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

SteveC wrote: »
    Because, like most employees of the state, they are only paid from the neck down.

Thinking for themselves is not something permitted by their union.

It's pretty easy to simply blame the work men in question and perhaps they had something to do with the incorrect placement of the advert space...but perhaps the planning that went into was badly carried out? Perhaps the red circle marked for placment was on top of gas/ESB/water conduits?
    Either way, when the lowly work men have finished, someone of the higher paid suited variety (like the type that drew up the plans) is supposed to come out and sign off on the work, so it is ultimately their responsibility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've just come across this on Stumble Upon

Great post, this i absolutely crazy :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

There is far too much 'furniture' on the streets and pavements of Dublin as it is. Just look at any photograph of a Dublin Street. They are a mess of poles, signs, traffic lights, broken concrete, boxes, advertising, and general clutter and mess.

Every pole that is erected on a Dublin Street is erected without any reference to existing street furniture. The problem is that there are too many agencies all vying for kerb space, and while the City Council is supposed to have overall responsibility for granting permission, the fact is that most of these things are erected without any thought for the overall effect on the streetscape, health and safety, the environment, or the general 'clutter' effect.

At least traffic lights, or signs telling us 'no right turn' or 'keep left' or whatever, or even bus stops, perform some perfunctory purpose, albeit perhaps in an ill-managed way. But these new advertising signs perform absolutely no public service at all, save for to make ill-gotten profit for some individual at the expense of the well-being of the greater society.

The whole deal that was quietly struck, with such valuable pavement space handed over for free to a profit making organisation on the dubious promise of free bicycles for a general public that didn't ask for them and will most likely not use them save for a small vandal element in society, quite frankly, stinks. Who else pocketed from this deal besides JC Decaux?

Too much public property is handed over to profit making individuals in shady back room deals, who have anything but the welfare of the general public in mind. Give it back, and let's get a grip on the public streetscape, and start cleaning it up, and making it more environmentally friendly, instead of continuing to sell our souls for every cheap, greasy deal that comes along.

Wertz wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to simply blame the work men in question and perhaps they had something to do with the incorrect placement of the advert space...but perhaps the planning that went into was badly carried out? Perhaps the red circle marked for placment was on top of gas/ESB/water conduits?
    Either way, when the lowly work men have finished, someone of the higher paid suited variety (like the type that drew up the plans) is supposed to come out and sign off on the work, so it is ultimately their responsibility...

I wasn't blaming them for it, I was trying to say that they were told to put up a sign in a certain spot and that's what they did. (I'm not convinced the surveyors mark is necessarily connected with the sign).
    I can see how you got that meaning though, I should have worded it better.

I agree that the engineer(s) who commissioned this and accepted it is/are at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

The red mark is connected with the sign ive seen them around the city at other locations

Im sure once the error is realised the sign will be relocated further from the kerb line in the next few days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement