Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats 'World of Electronics' (partly) Closing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Now that Peats have gone, Maplins are the only ones left that sell computer parts. DSG group sells only sells over-priced tat. Have bought a good few things from Peats over the past while, but at this rate, all computer parts will have to ordered online from Germany and the UK.

The difference between the DSG group (PC World, Dixons, Currys, etc) and Peats is that the staff in Peats know their sh|t. The staff in DSG tend to be clueless when asked about the computers, or any questions not written on the small card in front of the product... :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think they expanded to 11 stores where there was but 1 or 2 only 15 years ago. Caught rotten by rent contracts.

Very sad. I think the name will live on somewhere in the middle of Dublin though.
    Mr Peat told staff that “Trade hit its peak in 2007, with turnover that year of €24m, it has since re-trenched to less than half for the current year” and thanking staff, customers and suppliers, he continued, “the Company had a fine heritage for quality, decency and value, it became a popular name on the Dublin retail landscape and it’s departure from the high-street will be a loss to the tradition of family retailing in Dublin.

No lie there, not forgotten !

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I think they expanded to 11 stores where there was but 1 or 2 only 15 years ago. Caught rotten by rent contracts.
    Aye. Hopefully they can open a decent store in an industrial park (where the rent isn't as high) with some of their current staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Very disappointed to hear this. Like some of the earlier posters I used to buy my Atari 130XE and C64 games there in the 80s. If I ever wanted info on any of the latest technology etc I went there.

I remember ten years ago I wanted to checkout surround sound speakers (knew nothing about them) and a chap took me downstairs to where they had them all setup and gave me a 20 min lesson in how it all worked etc even though I wasnt buying them yet. They always seemed to have staff there that knew their stuff. Bought a good few MP3 players, external hard drives and all my blank dvds and cds there too over the years.

Only bought my Q Acoustics surround sound there three weeks ago. Yer man said I can have the display ones for 200 quid cheaper if I wanted. I asked the chap can i borrow a trolley to bring them across to the car and he insisted on bringing them over for me.

Their customer service is and always was bloody outstanding.

Best of luck to all the staff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

They really did know their stuff there and always provided great service. They were great for getting nick-nacks but I guess the profit is in big electrical goods rather than nick-nacks and cash strapped people are not spending on big electrical goods. As the_syco said, the staff in the DSG stores are completely clueless. I wouldn't waste my time asking them anything because I'm well able to read the back of a box myself without having them take it and read it back to me and tell me it should do this, that or the other - rather than it does or it doesn't. Really hate DSG stores, apart from the useless staff that don't know or care about their products, they're way way overpriced.
    Could Peats not relocate to somewhere cheaper, maybe one store that's easier for people to get to and park and collect their items, where they can keep providing the expertise and excellent service and also establish a greater online presence where they can compete with the big online stores such as Amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Yes, am I correct in saying they were on the opposite side of Parnell Street, to where they existed up to now. If correct, then I remember going in there loads of time during college etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"The best small country in the world to do business in".

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Yes, you are correct. ;) They were on the opposite side in a much smaller store. You went in through the right door for all the computer stuff and left door for the other electrical stuff. Aaaahhhh the memories. Can't remember when it was that they moved, I think possibly the early 90s? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

the_syco wrote: »
    Now that Peats have gone, Maplins are the only ones left that sell computer parts.
    You don't shop online? Maplins is way over priced on computer parts that are a year or two out of date. I can see them going under as well. It's lack of vision thats killing them. There is no reason they can't compete online and profit with the rest of them.

You don't shop online? Maplins is way over priced on computer parts that are a year or two out of date. I can see them going under as well. It's lack of vision thats killing them. There is no reason they can't compete online and profit with the rest of them.
    I mainly shop online, but sometimes you need a part today. An example being that you're going to a LAN that day, and your PSU dies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 npj81

Xithus wrote: »
    http://www.peats.com/

Sad to see them close. I remember buying my first computer games and TV from them before I ended up working there for years. Great bunch of lads to work for and with, if any of you read this good luck in the future.

Mods - I wasn't entirely sure where to put this feel free to move it.

I only rang the Swords shop yesterday about buying a pc controller & a few hours later I heard the news about the closure.

I remember my parents bringing me into Peats when I was a kid to buy me my first computer, a Commodore 64. I just remember standing there waiting around ages for a game to load (Batman i think) as the staff member showed a demonstration of the computer. Any time I did go into their shops I found the staff to be very helpful & friendly. It is sad to see another well established shop close.

At least the company respect their staff unlike GAME as "staff will be paid their entitlements and redundancy due in full"

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

The original shop was on the same side as it is now.
    Spent many happy hours going thro their many trays of bits and pieces to build an old transmitter in the early 70s.
    Just last christmas I got my final purchase there 2x 1tb hard drives.
    So sad to see them go.
    As for Maplins not in the same league at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I'm going to take something from this. My younger brother has asked me to get him some game time for World of Warcraft this week. I was just going to credit his account online with a credit card but instead, I'm going to head up to the gamestop in Clare Hall shopping centre and buy it there.

I think that if we all start to make a little extra effort to buy things in shops, we might keep a few jobs that might otherwise be lost. If you have to buy online, perhaps you could go to an Irish online retailer. A little might do alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Xithus wrote: »
    http://www.peats.com/

Sad to see them close. I remember buying my first computer games and TV from them before I ended up working there for years. Great bunch of lads to work for and with, if any of you read this good luck in the future.

Mods - I wasn't entirely sure where to put this feel free to move it.

Dunno if I'd call what you did 'working' :D

But yeh, +1, great company to work for and sad to see a family business go. Everyone you know has a story to tell about Peats, good or bad, it's a pity to see such a well renowned family business go under after 75+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

RichardAnd wrote: »
    I'm going to take something from this. My younger brother has asked me to get him some game time for World of Warcraft this week. I was just going to credit his account online with a credit card but instead, I'm going to head up to the gamestop in Clare Hall shopping centre and buy it there.

I think that if we all start to make a little extra effort to buy things in shops, we might keep a few jobs that might otherwise be lost. If you have to buy online, perhaps you could go to an Irish online retailer. A little might do alot.

If people would make a more concerted effort to spend their hard earned dough in Irish retailers, we'd help boost the economy and keep our local suppliers alive.

The problem is that these days, it's all too easy to find a foreign retailer online that might save you that fiver you so desperately want to cling on to.

But speaking of Irish online retailers - Memoryc.com is the only place I'll buy RAM. Prices are excellent, and they're based right here + free delivery.

Perhaps Peats could follow a similar model and re-open online. Elara seem to be surviving OK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

Bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 off them last year and due to issues with it they took it back and replaced it not once but TWICE! They were always very easy to deal with and sad to hear they are gone now......

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

Very sad news to hear that Peats are closing.

I remember, like others have mentioned here, buying commodore 64 games and sega master system games in the old shop where the FAS office is now on Parnell St.

I only bought a few items in the Blanch store just before Christmas - a new Cat 5 cable and a psu, only because they sold me branded products at really decent prices, plus their service was excellent. Not like the over-priced generic stuff you get in Maplins.

Looking at my office now, 3 of my 4 external hard drives I bought in Peats. Never had one problem with them and the staff are so friendly and very knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Terrible news! Best of luck to all the staff in there.

I remember buying all my C64 and some Sega games in the shop across the road, can still picture the shop! Loved how all the 'crap' games were in a basket (for the C64) around the store ground floor and games would go for 50p.

Will be missed!

On another note, will they be having a closing down sale any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,269 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

are they closed or are they selling off stuff cheap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Sign of the times.
    Not so sure of that. Recessions are often the straw that breaks the donkey's back, but typically do not represent the fundamental problem with the business in question.

Remember, Bewley's (on Grafton Street) went bust during the good times.

The ability to buy electronic goods and software online has been a bit of a game changer to companies like Peats. I looked at their online offering some time ago, but in the end went with a UK e-tailer because it worked out cheaper and faster. Another experience was from about ten years ago, when I went into a camera shop and found a camera that interested me, but at double the price; I asked the shop assistant why it was double what Amazon was charging and he literally just walked away - it was almost as if he knew from experience that it was a waste of time to argue. Same thing in the Nokia shop on Dawson street, around the same time, a connection lead was £80, while on eBay I could get it for £15.

Some people will pay extra to get their product in their hands immediately. Or their game in a nice DVD package. But there's not enough of these customers to pay for the rent and salaries needed to keep physical retail outlets going in many markets - look at Game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

RichardAnd wrote: »

Just because it's an online store doesn't mean they don't employ staff. Elara and Komplett both have a physical presence in Ireland and employ staff. I say let the dinosaur brick and mortar shops die. It will reduce rents and allow little start ups that already have an online presence in with vision to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Just because it's an online store doesn't mean they don't employ staff. Elara and Komplett both have a physical presence in Ireland and employ staff. I say let the dinosaur brick and mortar shops die. It will reduce rents and allow little start ups that already have an online presence in with vision to grow.

They would in general have a smaller staff, and much lower overheads (for similar sized operations).

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Sad to see a long run Irish family business go. I guess they wanted to keep all stores operating. Would have thought cost cutting measures would have helped some especially to keep their main shop in Parnell Street alive as it was started by their parents in Parnell Street all those years ago.

Shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

As much as i would love to jump on board with the nostalgia of buying speccy and c64 games in peats, they like everyone else got too greedy offered little or no value for money and then didn't adjust in recent times.

no sympathy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

ntlbell wrote: »
    As much as i would love to jump on board with the nostalgia of buying speccy and c64 games in peats, they like everyone else got too greedy offered little or no value for money and then didn't adjust in recent times.

no sympathy at all.

Agree totally, got greedy. Borrowing to much in the bubble and couldn't cope when it burst, no more sympathy for them than I'd have for a property developer that went the same way.

Best of luck to the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Like many others I can take a trip back down memory lane to peats. Old store included. Sad to see them go, as others have said they were good for needing an item on the day. Cheaper than maplins anyway.

They have a small ebay store, I think they were trying out rather than throwing stuff out they'd flog it on there instead.
    Dunno if they saw this as an avenue to go down long term or not.
    Not a lot on there now mind you.

http://myworld.ebay.ie/peatselectronics/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Another victory for upward only rent reviews :(

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The problem is that these days, it's all too easy to find a foreign retailer online that might save you that fiver you so desperately want to cling on to.

But speaking of Irish online retailers - Memoryc.com is the only place I'll buy RAM. Prices are excellent, and they're based right here + free delivery.

I needed a few cables, ordered them from irish supplier on ebay, arrived next day for a fraction of what Id have paid in any bricks and mortar outlet, its not just the cost, its the inconvenience of getting to these places... Fair play to them for even surviving this long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Theres a lad in there, Pat. He's a feckin genius, helped me out above a beyond what was required of him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Sorry to see them go and for the staff losing their jobs. The closure makes it harder to view quality AV gear too.

However their prices were always far more expensive than online retailers or even retailers in the north who deliver to the south. I also found their online store a little lacking in newer gear. I found it hard to justify buying off them in recent years.

Advertisement