Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Take care and hopeful its not as bad as your worst case scenario. Better to get it diagnosed and sorted tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Check out this thread from a month ago. Insist on a quick scan, i was waiting 6 weeks for mine, not much use then.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056063225

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

menoscemo wrote: »
    Since wednesday my right foot has been pretty painful on the outstep. I am thinking in the worst case scenario I have a stress fracture in the 5th metatarsal. I ended up not running last night for fear of not being able to do the group run today.
    So this morning I met up with Brianderunner, aimman and RK in the park for an 'LSR'. I wore the DS trainers to see if the extra support helped the foot, but I think they made it worse since they have such a hard sole and little cushioning. I ended up dropping out after 8 miles and the foot is pretty swollen now. I was just on to my physio and he recommended going to the GP and getting a referral letter for an MRI Scan just to see what the problem is. I'll do that on monday.
    Pretty pissed off about all this. I am in good form I feel and I think I am am capable of a good half, but more importantly I really hope this doesn't mess up my medium term goals (Barcelona and Conn Ultra)

Anyway. 8 miles @9:54

Niall I have to be careful about verging into medical advice territory here but I seriuosly doubt its a stress fracture. I had a similar problem and its just one of those things that happens to runners. Get a bag of ice from the supermarket, throw the ice in a bucket and slap your foot in it for 10mins. Also massage the foot where it hurts with your thumbs.
    I mean if it'll put your mind at ease, get an MRI, but thats at least 250quid. Try the ice and massaging first see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Check out this thread from a month ago. Insist on a quick scan, i was waiting 6 weeks for mine, not much use then.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056063225

Yep I saw that. Euromedic in Dundrum would be good for me, with internet booking it's €195. Still have to get a GP referal letter even though it's private.

tunguska wrote: »
    Niall I have to be careful about verging into medical advice territory here but I seriuosly doubt its a stress fracture. I had a similar problem and its just one of those things that happens to runners. Get a bag of ice from the supermarket, throw the ice in a bucket and slap your foot in it for 10mins. Also massage the foot where it hurts with your thumbs.
    I mean if it'll put your mind at ease, get an MRI, but thats at least 250quid. Try the ice and massaging first see what happens.

Thanks for the Advice Eoin. You may well be right. The problem is There is no specific spot where it hurts, more a general area (and only when standing on it). It really feels like something well under the surface, but I am at a complete loss to what the problem is, it just feels like there's something wrong. I'll keep icing and see what the GP says first before booking an MRI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was thinking stress fracture when you posted the other day. Wouldn't necessarily jump straight to that though. If you've got any other injuries or niggles, even ones you don't notice, possibly just tired legs from the marathon causing you to run on the outside of your foot a bit. When I had problems with my foot earlier in the year I was getting pains on the outside of the foot because I'd changed my gait to protect the injury.

Hope the MRI goes well.

I was thinking stress fracture when you posted the other day. Wouldn't necessarily jump straight to that though. If you've got any other injuries or niggles, even ones you don't notice, possibly just tired legs from the marathon causing you to run on the outside of your foot a bit. When I had problems with my foot earlier in the year I was getting pains on the outside of the foot because I'd changed my gait to protect the injury.

Hope the MRI goes well.

Thanks, and what you say makes a lot of sense. It's very possible that I have just changed my gait subconsciously to protect a hidden injury. I have a bruise on the ball of the left foot since last saturday too, but that seems to have gone away. Those 11 miles I did with Gerard65 last saturdayseem to have done neither of us any good.
    I'll give it a good few days and maybe another few short uns before actually booking an MRI.

Some of the post marathon runs were done on very heavy legs in fairness. It has really made me contemplate the idea of racing barcelona and then conneamara 5 weeks later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

You mightn't have a bad injury at all Meno, your body might be telling you in its own way that it wants a rest. You've done alot of miles this year and alot of long runs and if you haven't taken much time off after Dublin, it might just want a rest.

I know its annoying (i haven't run myself since the marathon, bloody cracked rib that won't heal) but a break you will have to take until its better. Mind yourself.

chinguetti wrote: »
    You mightn't have a bad injury at all Meno, your body might be telling you in its own way that it wants a rest. You've done alot of miles this year and alot of long runs and if you haven't taken much time off after Dublin, it might just want a rest.

I know its annoying (i haven't run myself since the marathon, bloody cracked rib that won't heal) but a break you will have to take until its better. Mind yourself.

But but but but, the waterford half is just 4 weeks away :pac:
    Hope you get better soon yourself. Are you about next saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thanks for the Advice Eoin. You may well be right. The problem is There is no specific spot where it hurts, more a general area (and only when standing on it). It really feels like something well under the surface, but I am at a complete loss to what the problem is, it just feels like there's something wrong. I'll keep icing and see what the GP says first before booking an MRI.
    Have a look at peroneal tendon injury on google. had it myself last year as did seanynova, was thinking stress fracture myself when i got it. 2 - 3 weeks was all it took to get right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Since wednesday my right foot has been pretty painful on the outstep. I am thinking in the worst case scenario I have a stress fracture in the 5th metatarsal. I ended up not running last night for fear of not being able to do the group run today.
    So this morning I met up with Brianderunner, aimman and RK in the park for an 'LSR'. I wore the DS trainers to see if the extra support helped the foot, but I think they made it worse since they have such a hard sole and little cushioning. I ended up dropping out after 8 miles and the foot is pretty swollen now. I was just on to my physio and he recommended going to the GP and getting a referral letter for an MRI Scan just to see what the problem is. I'll do that on monday.
    Pretty pissed off about all this. I am in good form I feel and I think I am am capable of a good half, but more importantly I really hope this doesn't mess up my medium term goals (Barcelona and Conn Ultra)

Anyway. 8 miles @9:54
    prob due the 26 mile of pounding, i'd rest up for a while and with a bit of luck you'll be back running soon. Marathons have a way of showing up in the body. If you miss a week or 2 now I think you would sill run well in Waterford .

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Have a look at peroneal tendon injury on google. had it myself last year as did seanynova, was thinking stress fracture myself when i got it. 2 - 3 weeks was all it took to get right

Who did you go to to get that diagnosed?

Who did you go to to get that diagnosed?
    Physio, could tell the tendon running down the ankle wasnt right even though it wasnt sore there, only under the foot. Worth going to physio first anyway before spending a packet on a scan.

I just felt like i had a bruised foot or bone but couldnt see anything or feel anything digging my finger in. just sounds very similar to what you describe

I have been mulling over the advice given. I am really not sure it is a break now, it could easily be a tendon issue as well. I have decided to save my money for the meantime and just take a break from running. Plan at the moment is to give the foot a rest until monday week, so 9 days off :eek:

I really do need to get training properly after that though as I have a lot of events coming up. I have been icing the foot and rolling it over golf balls for the last 2 days and it does feel a bit better. I might visit the physio next week If I am still feeling pain midweek.

Don't know what I'll do with myself next week. I might have to go back to the gym (haven't been since february) just to keep myself sane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'ld visit the physio for piece of mind. And to do in your spare time, a good book or perhaps time for a bit of cooking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sorry to hear about your foot meno :(
    When I had my funny toe thing going on last year my GP gave me a letter in which he may have ;) exaggerated my pain and sent me off into A&E telling me to tell them how much pain I was in ;)... instant x ray and result before I left the hospital. I had to go back a week later to get it x rayed again (due to stress fractures taking time to show up). They even called me in a 3rd time. All it cost was the GP charge and gave me peace of mind within a week that there was no stress fracture.

I'd go to the physio too, no point sitting around for a week wondering what it is or isnt. Plus any decent physio will speed up the recovery process significantly.

A break now is no bad thing anyway, will keep you running injury free next year. Everybody should have a few weeks off season imho to keep them fresh and make them realise they miss running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Really sorry to hear about your injury, hope you get better real soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sorry to hear this meno, but hopefully the rest will take care of it an you'll come back buzzing, I'm beginning to regret not taking a longer break post Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I have been mulling over the advice given. I am really not sure it is a break now, it could easily be a tendon issue as well. I have decided to save my money for the meantime and just take a break from running. Plan at the moment is to give the foot a rest until monday week, so 9 days off :eek:

I really do need to get training properly after that though as I have a lot of events coming up. I have been icing the foot and rolling it over golf balls for the last 2 days and it does feel a bit better. I might visit the physio next week If I am still feeling pain midweek.

Don't know what I'll do with myself next week. I might have to go back to the gym (haven't been since february) just to keep myself sane!!

Im injured at the moment myself and what I do is get on the bike and head up the mountains do some hill intervals. Very tough training trust me. I know its not sports specific but it'll keep the heart and lungs ticking over nicely until you can run again. Also the stationary bike in the gym can be very good if you're creative enough.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, i don't have a bike but I will be going to the Gym and doing rower and stationary bike work this week.
    I have the Physio appointment booked for tomorrow. Foot feels much better today. Last week it was almost at it's worst while alking around during the day in my work shoes but today there is no pain....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Davis Big Limo

Thanks lads, i don't have a bike but I will be going to the Gym and doing rower and stationary bike work this week.
    I have the Physio appointment booked for tomorrow. Foot feels much better today. Last week it was almost at it's worst while alking around during the day in my work shoes but today there is no pain....

Hopefully it is nothing too serious but best to get it checked out. I am going to do Waterford BTW so hope to see you down there, will see how the next few training runs go you never know might head out with you to target the 1.32 - 1.34 half:rolleyes:. Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Spot on in your diagnosis. The Physio confirmed it is a peroneal tendon injury. The good news is the it is only slightly frayed, so nothing serious. I have a few strengthening excercises to do, but have been given permission to do a few miles as early as thursday :cool:

Spot on in your diagnosis. The Physio confirmed it is a peroneal tendon injury. The good news is the it is only slightly frayed, so nothing serious. I have a few strengthening excercises to do, but have been given permission to do a few miles as early as thursday :cool:
    Cheers, glad to hear its not too bad. Run your foot over a tennis ball few times a day, thats what seem to help me the most.

Cheers, glad to hear its not too bad. Run your foot over a tennis ball few times a day, thats what seem to help me the most.

I've been running it over golf balls and icing it since saturday. It was already probably mostly recovered as a result when I went to the physio today.

Wednesday 17th
    Gym: First time I have been there since February
    20 minutes cross trainer.
    Rower: 2k warm up, 5x500m sprints w 1 min recover, 2k warm down.
    20 minutes on the bike:

Various weights including a failed attempt at 3x 21 pressups.

Positives:I notice I can maintain a much higher effort level on the cardio machines than I used to. I kept a 250 watt average on the cross trainer (160 step/min at level 13) while barely breaking a sweat. 9 months ago 20 minutes at 200 watts was a struggle.

Negatives: I have got seriously weak. Even in the leg push machine I am well down on what I used to do. I used to be able for 50 straight pressups as well. My chest muscles are killing me today, I'll proabbly need a few more days off before attempting to complete 3 x 21 pressups again. Why oh why didn't I just start the pressup challenge at 3 x10 o 3 x 15 (instead of 3 x 20) and just build up :rolleyes: . Hopefully this pressup challenge will keep me motivated on improving strength. It's also about time I bought a bar and a bench to do some proper weights, I have been talking about it for months. I have only a month left on my gym membership and won't be renewing.

I am also 3kg up in weight since the marathon :mad:. I suspected as much but didn't bother checking. I should have known that what you eat whie doing 50 miles a week should not be the same as what you eat when doin 10-15miles a week. So no more crap until I'm back doing 50 mile weeks (though I'll probably finish off the icecream in the freezer tonight:pac:)

Thursday 18th
    5.5 miles with Aimman around Tymon with the head torch. 9 min/mile. Just easing the foot back into running. Felt fine, a little sore over the last mile or two but much better than before...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

So no more crap until I'm back doing 50 mile weeks (though I'll probably finish off the icecream in the freezer tonight:pac:)

Thursday 18th
    5.5 miles with Aimman around Tymon with the head torch. 9 min/mile. Just easing the foot back into running. Felt fine, a little sore over the last mile or two but much better than before...

Good call on finishing the ice cream tonight. When I got into the car after the run, I phoned in my last voucher for the Indian Takeaway, feasted on more chillies then you could shake a fire extinguisher at! :eek:

I'm back on track with the weight management and training, seeing as we are going to be pacing buddies in Cork.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Good to hear the injury isn't too serious. A stress fracture would have seen you off for 6 weeks and it would have been difficult to preparer properly for Conn then.
    Keep eating the ice cream though. That should see me all right on race day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great, you're back out running again. :)

• Advertisement

4.5 miles tonight @7:35 pace
    Went out for just a handy run but when the first mile at 7:40 I decided to keep the pace up and do a mini tempo.
    I tend to find the little faster runs are good for shaking off the rust so hopefully this will have tat affect. I hope to do a longer and faster tempo towards the end of next week and decide from that If I am fit enough to run waterford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement