Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android for HP touchpad (WebOs)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That's some work put into that in fairness.I don't have HP touchpad but I'd imagine whoever does will be happy about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Just installed and testing now. So far very stable. Excellent for an alpha release, far superior to webos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

zarquon wrote: »
    Just installed and testing now. So far very stable. Excellent for an alpha release, far superior to webos

Well done. How long did it take you and do you know how easy it might be to upgrade from alpha to newer versions? Its duel boot I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Sniipe wrote: »
    Well done. How long did it take you and do you know how easy it might be to upgrade from alpha to newer versions? Its duel boot I assume?

Yup it's dual boot, all very straight forward, just follow the instructions here. Only small issue is that not all apps show up in the market so had to install them manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I'm well impressed how stable this is for an alpha build. There is a fair list of issues however but the only one that's a real inconvenience so far is that WiFi drops intermittently and does not reconnect without turning WIFI off and on.

WebOS dual boot is easy which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Using it since last night here too. No issues so far, bar the 'incompatible' apps in the market. Will use for the weekend and report back, but very happy so far.

About 15 mins all in so pretty quick. It will be very easy to upgrade to newer version as the low level work is done on the initial install. For upgrades it will simply be a case of installing an update zip file via clockworkmod recovery.

opus wrote: »
    Only small issue is that not all apps show up in the market so had to install them manually.

There's a fix for this now that can be installed via CWM:

http://www.multiupload.com/5MKAKAKUM6

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tempted to put it on my Touchpad. I'm unsure of the disadvantages?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Tempted to put it on my Touchpad. I'm unsure of the disadvantages?

I have installed it, no disadvantages of note as you can always boot into webOS instead of Android if the fewminor bugs irritate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Keith186

How's the Touchpad in general?

I tried to get one to no avail but I might fork out for one on ebay soon if a stable android is going to be a certainty.

I believe the screen is supposed to be pretty decent as is the speakers, is this the case?

Keith186 wrote: »
    How's the Touchpad in general?

I tried to get one to no avail but I might fork out for one on ebay soon if a stable android is going to be a certainty.

I believe the screen is supposed to be pretty decent as is the speakers, is this the case?

Not worth getting one at the moment until cynogenmod is at least at RC stage. Might be worth grabbing one when they have ICS on the touchpad but that will be a few months away.

What are ppl doing with their alpha builds? I have it installed... but done nothing since, except post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What are ppl doing with their alpha builds? I have it installed... but done nothing since, except post this.
    Use it? What else are you meant to do with an Android tablet? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

What's the battery life like with cyanogenmod, better or worse than webos?

Nephew wrote: »
    What's the battery life like with cyanogenmod, better or worse than webos?
    A bit worse. Not by a huge amount but you can definitely notice a reduced battery life. I'd say once they sort out the power management issues with the current build things will start to improve.

The flaky wifi is the most annoying thing imo. It always needs to be turned off and on on wake, and it can drop sometimes for no reason.

The other thing that bugs me is sometimes it doesnt detect the headphones properly and sound comes out of both the speaker and the headphones, really annoyed the hell out of my wife the other night when I was catching up on some TV in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

If only i'd got my hands on one...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Has anyone discovered a decent launcher for this? I'm not keen on the ADW, which seems to have hidden gestures which only serve to piss you off by moving the dock, and dock icons about.
    Go Launcher app drawer isn't suited to tab use.

Has anyone discovered a decent launcher for this? I'm not keen on the ADW, which seems to have hidden gestures which only serve to piss you off by moving the dock, and dock icons about.
    Go Launcher app drawer isn't suited to tab use.

Launcher Pro is great, esp with the paid for Pro widgets which resize perfectly to fit the tablet screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

New update available that fixes some of the issues from the first Alpha. This is version 2.1 see link below

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-RELEASE-ALPHA2-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port

Tweaky wrote: »
    New update available that fixes some of the issues from the first Alpha. This is version 2.1 see link below

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-RELEASE-ALPHA2-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port
    So should we remove alpha 1 and install alpha 2 cleanly or should we update from alpha 1 to alpha 2?

Anyone have problems logging into skype with Alpha 1?

So should we remove alpha 1 and install alpha 2 cleanly or should we update from alpha 1 to alpha 2?

Anyone have problems logging into skype with Alpha 1?

Just do a clockwork recovery update on the zip file and overwrite the current install.

As zarquon said, just use CWM recovery to install Alpha 2.

If you also decide to update WebOS to 3.0.4 you'll also need to reinstall Moboot using the ACMEinstaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

whats the chances of bricking the touchpad or is it completely safe.

Nothing's completely safe. That said, I haven't heard a single report so far of anyone bricking their Touchpad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

has the third alpha fixed the battery issues???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Davie89 wrote: »
    has the third alpha fixed the battery issues???

according to the cyanogenmod thread

The fixes in ALPHA3

* Last prominent form of "sleep of death" fixed
    * Webkit backing store(smoother scrolling)
    * Bluetooth DPad/arrows do not rotate with screen
    * Battery stats now available to Android
    * Serial# now populated
    * Shorter hostname as a result of serial#
    * General wifi fixes
    * Preliminary Touchpad 4G support(no radio)
    * Possible fix for A2DP and wifi interference
    * Possible fix for SD card not mounting
    * Camera FPS improved but still nearly nonfunctional

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Managed to bag a Touchpad today. :-)

Anyone care to fill me in on how it's running Android?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Just put Android Apha 3 on yesterday and its running perfect. It really puts Web O/S to shame.:D

Advertisement