Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression

• 30-11-2009 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I seen somebody ask about wether or not VHI will cover an MRI. I was wondering if I went to the hospital to seek treatment for anxiety would I be covered by my own VHI. Not looking for Diagnosis or anything I really am just wondering so anybody who could shed some light on this for me would be doing me a great service
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Useualy anxiety comes from situations with in your life be it when your out and about, or when on your own through your own thaoughts.

It useually transfer's from past experence in many case's the past does and always will negitively affect the future. Personally speeking i suffered it for a long time.

Depression, again is useualy hand in hand, with the past as well.

I don't think you need to go to a hospital to be treated with it, The standered answer is go to your gp and explain your feeling depressed and having a lot of anxiety problems.

At which point s/he can offer you two alternitivs
    medication
    Counciling.

Please take note that medication only lasts as long as your taking it, and doesnt allways fix the problem's.

Where counciling you get out what you put in, if your sick of feeling like this and use that motivation to power you threw the problems and face them and genrally become more of a peacefull person with your self.

Or some people do booth if there circumstances are perticularly bad.

Either way no your not the only one and many other people suffer from it.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Useualy anxiety comes from situations with in your life be it when your out and about, or when on your own through your own thaoughts.

It useually transfer's from past experence in many case's the past does and always will negitively affect the future. Personally speeking i suffered it for a long time.

Depression, again is useualy hand in hand, with the past as well.

I don't think you need to go to a hospital to be treated with it, The standered answer is go to your gp and explain your feeling depressed and having a lot of anxiety problems.

At which point s/he can offer you two alternitivs
    medication
    Counciling.

Please take note that medication only lasts as long as your taking it, and doesnt allways fix the problem's.

Where counciling you get out what you put in, if your sick of feeling like this and use that motivation to power you threw the problems and face them and genrally become more of a peacefull person with your self.

Or some people do booth if there circumstances are perticularly bad.

Either way no your not the only one and many other people suffer from it.
    hope this helps

did you read the original Q? The Op was simply asking if anxiety / depression are covered by VHI, he wasnt asking for any medical advice, or anything bordering on it!

to answer the question, yep it is covered by most plans, you can double check online ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

corkcomp wrote: »
    did you read the original Q? The Op was simply asking if anxiety / depression are covered by VHI, he wasnt asking for any medical advice, or anything bordering on it!

to answer the question, yep it is covered by most plans, you can double check online ...

I didnt give him medical advise I passed on some knowlage that should be known before thinking he has to go to hospital for such problems. So to a degree i felt the op was miss informed and i corrected him on it.

Is that not aloud ? or are you quite happy to allow some one top waste his own time a hospitals time refering him to a gp ?

So here's an idea maybe look at something in more then one way insted of going in flame throwers brewing, and actually see the point I made!

EDIT

Oh and understanding your problems is 50% of beating them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

It should be covered by the VHI

Here is a VHI link and you will need to get your policy number to check it.

http://www.vhi.ie/mri/more_info.js

I dont know anything about MRIs but the little I know is that they are like x-rays and used to pick up physical abnormalities.

So if you do have a physical reason for getting a scan your doctor or hospital should be able to check if its covered.

Snow Monkey is right that if you are suffereing from anxiety or depression then you should get yourself down to your GP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

CDfm wrote: »
    It should be covered by the VHI

Here is a VHI link and you will need to get your policy number to check it.

http://www.vhi.ie/mri/more_info.js

I dont know anything about MRIs but the little I know is that they are like x-rays and used to pick up physical abnormalities.

So if you do have a physical reason for getting a scan your doctor or hospital should be able to check if its covered.

Snow Monkey is right that if you are suffereing from anxiety or depression then you should get yourself down to your GP.

Depression and anxiety are "normal" conditions and as such are covered by VHI.

Pop down to your GP and you will find that he / she will give good advice and help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Noelieboats

Cheers guys,

Just to say that I am well informed and I have tried pretty much everything but the anxiety is just criplling I've weaned off meds cause they were just making me worse so now I want to seek actual mental help. It's post traumatic stress disorder and a sudden death fixation so it's pretty terrifying my plan is to go to the hospital and sign myself in but when I did I was just given more pills and sent home. Gonna try again hopefully get my policy details today fingers crossed.

OP - thats fairly tough.

I think what everyone is saying to you is that you really need to get to your GP. Your GPs job is to represent you and get you access to the facilities and the help you need so you need to get a referal and need to do so urgently.

(You also probably need to get a medical card if your illness is taking you over because mental illness is classed as a disability and your doctor can help you with this)

So going directly to a hospital wont really work you need a referal.

What you need to do now like immediately is get down to your GP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Noelieboats

Thanks I genuinely appreciate people taking the time to post. My doctors have just been throwing pills down my throat that make me panic or vomit or perspire I stay on them for months and feel less normal everyday so i need to go a different route. I'm actually working if you can believe that and for all appearance purposes I am perfectly normal so would I be allowed a medical card with a job. I spoke to my boss (the only one who knows the score) about taking time off but it's distraction that keeps me going. I reckon day time television would eat whats left of my rational brain:o

So far in the last 3 years I have been on Valium, effexor,zispin,xanax (still occassionally xanax) lustral and lexapro.

Lexapro put me in hospital the first time I took it and they told me that was my body getting used to it and I would just have to brave the palpitations racing heart and shooting chest pains for about 6 weeks to get used to the drugs. Needless to say my faith in medical science dwindled somewhat. I reckon medical professionals can only deal with the medical side of things. I told a woman I was feeling suicidal when I went to the psyche ward in my local hospital she put me on 4 xanax a day instead of 2 and sent me home without looking up from her chart.

Sorry I turned this into a big moan I just wanted originall to know if I can stay in the psyche ward on insurance if I can get myself into it.

so you are working and you are functional and thats great

christmastime ****s everyone up anyway so that can account for some of it at this time of year

do go to your gp and look for a self help group etc

dont worry about the pills -if you had diabetes you would take insulin

you need to speak to your gp about admitting yourself if it is that bad as you need that support and someone to look out for your interests issue sick certs etc

check out the helplines thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055685061

Advertisement