Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rocketts

• 03-04-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Over the last while i have noticed the burgers you get in eddie's are getting smaller and smaller, but you still pay the same. (starting at €6.75)

I Was in arklow twice recently and twice sent a burger back saying i didnt order off the kids menu. and a proper burger came back both times

And again it happened last night in donnybrook and the girl i said it too didnt think there was any problem with it. it was like a mcdonald hamburger, not 1/3 llb of beef.

I have a feeling they knowningly are ripping people off by doing this. The excuse they gave me was that the burgers come in that way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

They havent earned the nickname "Empty Pockets" for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Haven't had that problem here in Galway to be honest. Their 2 for 1 offer's are great value I think especially when 3 lads sit eating six burgers....

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Going there to line Eddie's Pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

majiktripp wrote: »
    Haven't had that problem here in Galway to be honest. Their 2 for 1 offer's are great value I think especially when 3 lads sit eating six burgers....

Their 2 for 1 offer takes the price to a bearable level. Anyone that can hand on heart say their burgers at full price are correctly priced for what you get, needs to get out of this country more.
    And OP, you confirmed what I think I already knew regarding the size - I don't go there very often so wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Ended up there last Saturday night only because the girl in Abrakebabra (classy I know) who took our order forgot she did and we only found out 30 mins later when we went up to the till to pay.

In Eddies I got chick fillet burger, cheese fries and a coke and the missus got burger, garlic fries and coke and it came to 33 euro...
    I nearly fell off the stool and it wasn't the booze that caused it.
    Won't be going there again, food was average aswell to be honest.

• Advertisement

See if you'd used a 2 for 1 voucher, two burgers would e7.50 instead of e7.50 each!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Where do you get these 2 for 1 vouchers?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've never seen the attraction of Eddie Rockets. The food is very average and terribly expensive. The only good thing about them are the Malts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Bit of a limited menu but the food is alright.

My problem with Eddie Rockets is that it thinks it's better than it actually is. For long enough they got away with charging above the odds for their food, but of course people still always filled the place. They had dellusions of grandeur though and used to proclaim proudly "If you think you have reservations, you're in the wrong place". They never needed them. Until now.

If you look at their new menus they now have a reservations number and are available for parties and bookings like they never were before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The voucher link posted is for galway only so here is one for free fries for all branches:
    RTEmagicC_ER_StudentCents_HappyFriesdayOffer_Feb-Dec09L_01.jpg.jpg
    *valid mon-wed
    sham69 wrote: »
    Ended up there last Saturday night only because the girl in Abrakebabra (classy I know) who took our order forgot she did and we only found out 30 mins later when we went up to the till to pay.

In Eddies I got chick fillet burger, cheese fries and a coke and the missus got burger, garlic fries and coke and it came to 33 euro...
    I nearly fell off the stool and it wasn't the booze that caused it.
    Won't be going there again, food was average aswell to be honest.

After 11 has the extra 10% too which doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The food there is absolute MUCK. They really went downhill when they went overboard with opening more and more restaurants. McDonald's burgers are better quality!

Malts are the only thing i'd have in Eddie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've never seen the attraction of Eddie Rockets. The food is very average and terribly expensive.
    I think some people are actually attracted by the high prices! Many seem to consider McDs or burger king to be "low class", but the only real difference is the prices. Its a great scam, charge lots and people think it is sophisticated or something, like a "real restaurant".

Some idiots like to pay over the odds or they do not feel they are getting "quality", like people sneering at €1 cans of unadvertised beer, I imagine these same people would be thinking "I wouldn't be caught dead in McDs" so just pay more for the same stuff in rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I go to Eddie's quite regularly. The food is very good and the portions are very big.

The burgers in Eddie Rockets are freshly made and are not frozen

A double take burger with regular fries and a shake is about 15euro. For this you get;

- 2 * 150g burgers with swiss, chedder or blue cheese
    - seasoned fries
    - milkshake made from fresh milk and good ice cream ( with cream and oreos if you get an oreo one for the same price)

To get the same amount of food in McDonalds would cost ;

Quarter pounder with cheese meal (large) - 7.20
    Milkshake upgrade - 50c
    Quarter pounder with cheese - 3.80
    Double cheeseburger - 2.00

Total = 13.50

It would cost around 16 - 17 euro in Burger King

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jahalpin wrote: »
    I go to Eddie's quite regularly. The food is very good and the portions are very big.

A double take burger with regular fries and a shake is about 15euro. For this you get;

- seasoned fries
    - milkshake made from fresh milk and good ice cream ( with cream and oreos if you get an oreo one for the same price)

Milkshake upgrade - 50c

Total = 13.50

Thats the first time I ever heard anybody claim they were good value!

The McDs list sounds like a lot more food. More rolls on the burgers etc. And why such an array? why not a load of those €2 double cheese burgers. Both BK and McDs have eurosaver menus, I would have a tough time polishing off €15 worth of wise spending. You have singled out the best value burger in Rocketts.

You are also singling out the Rockets deal with the double burger and ignroing the fact that the other 2 also do them, I think BK have a triple whopper with cheese now, and double angus burgers etc. McDs have similar giant burgers last time I was in.

I know some hungry bastards, but €17 worth of stuff in BK, no chance.

The menu seems very expensive. Esp. with the extra 10% which is the only time I would be going there.
    http://www.eddierockets.ie/iopen24/pub/Menu%20March%202009.pdf
    Looks like your meal is closer to €17 from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

- seasoned fries

Milkshake upgrade - 50c

Total = 13.50

That's the worst comparison I've seen in a long time.

And why are you buying 3 burgers in McD's and only one (with an extra patty) in Eddie Rockets. And who ever claimed the regular menu in Mc'Ds and BK was good value either for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Yep went there for the 1st time in a long time last month- got a cheeserburger, chips and shake for €16 I could have had a nice carvery across the road for €10 - I know next time where I am going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

- seasoned fries

Milkshake upgrade - 50c

Total = 13.50

You've listed three burgers from McDonalds there but only 2 from Eddie Rockett's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭paddydriver

- seasoned fries

Milkshake upgrade - 50c

Total = 13.50

Which Eddie Rockets do you work for? Can I ask for you by name and you will give myself and the kids a free meal next time?

Burgers have gone through too many hot washes and tumble dries - have definitely come down a good few sizes. Not keen on going there anymore at all - McDonald's is a far better bet with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

they have always been really expensive, god i love the cheese and bacon fries but their burgers are just normal nothing special

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dont they have an offer for a burger, fries and drink for €9.95 during the week? Its not amazing but its about a fiver off the normal price.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

First time i ran into Eddie Rockets after 11 therefor 10% extra scam i took the bottle of Heinz ketchup home with me.
    Any business that raises its prices because it is a certain hour of the day will not see me spending another euro there ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think McD or BK comes close to the quality of Eddies food. That said its a burger in a fast food joint. What do you expect? Pointless comparing it to a carvery, or a restaurant or the lunch you made yourself.

There's no point in comparing it to McD's and the likes. Certainly here in Galway there are only a few other places that do similar types of Burgers. For example Mustard Now located in the Bridge Mills does a good burger, still not better than Eddie's but definately good. Scotty's, meh, smaller,more expensive, same for their shakes and malts and well not half as nice either. Eddie's is the only place in Galway I can get a burger with blue cheese on it. Mustard has it *in* one of their burger patties and Scottys gave me blue cheese dressing....which didnt work.
    I still think that for a good quality burger, in Galway anyways (Dublin,maybe Captain America's I dunno never been there) there in nowhere that matches Eddie Rockets, and now with the on going voucher offers, I can have 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Eddie Rockets at McDonagh Junction in Kilkenny,

I quarter pounder with fries, onion rings and strawberry malt
    I chicken burger with fries, strawberry malt,
    I foot long hot dog with fries and Choc Malt

€44.....Heart-afooking-tack....:eek:

Meal above was for 2 adults and i kid.....

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets at McDonagh Junction in Kilkenny,

I quarter pounder with fries, onion rings and strawberry malt
    I chicken burger with fries, strawberry malt,
    I foor long hot dog with fries and Choc Malt

€44.....Heart-afooking-tack....:eek:

Do they have prices beside the pretty pcitures on the menu? :rolleyes: How exactly can you be "suprised". And yes, I know Im bad, two burgers an all, but if you eat all you listed, you will indeed have a Heart-afooking-tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Do they have prices beside the pretty pcitures on the menu? :rolleyes: How exactly can you be "suprised". And yes, I know Im bad, two burgers an all, but if you eat all you listed, you will indeed have a Heart-afooking-tack.

Wahey, extra dose of bitch on the side for you sweetie ....And roll your bloody eyes back up into your head....Its a valid comment i made on the topic in question, i wasn't the one paying for the meal. There was 3 people eating at that meal which you could probably surmise if your your eyes weren't rolling at the back of your head. if i wanted dietary advise i'd post in the appropriate thread.

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Wahey, extra dose of bitch on the side for you sweetie ....And roll your bloody eyes back up into your head....Its a valid comment i made on the topic in question, i wasn't the one paying for the meal. There was 3 people eating at that meal which you could probably surmise if your your eyes weren't rolling at the back of your head. if i wanted dietary advise i'd post in the appropriate thread.

So what are you complaining about exactly then? 3 People had a meal for €44...so if you wanted cheaper why didnt you go to McDonalds? What made you go to Eddies? Did 2 adults not manage to see the prices? , Did no one speak up and say lets go somewhere cheaper? It is my supposition ("surmise",bah! Internets have thesauri these days!) that CAVEAT EMPTOR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

the portions are very big?are ya a midget or something?costs 6.50 for chilli fries which consists of a small bowel filled* with about ten chips and a tablespoon of chilli sauce on it,chicken burger which has about 4 thin strips of chicken and lettuce,in a huge bun which masks it has fcuk all inside for eight euro. and you think its good value?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

There's no point in comparing it to McD's and the likes. Certainly here in Galway there are only a few other places that do similar types of Burgers. For example Mustard Now located in the Bridge Mills does a good burger, still not better than Eddie's but definately good. Scotty's, meh, smaller,more expensive, same for their shakes and malts and well not half as nice either. Eddie's is the only place in Galway I can get a burger with blue cheese on it. Mustard has it *in* one of their burger patties and Scottys gave me blue cheese dressing....which didnt work.
    I still think that for a good quality burger, in Galway anyways (Dublin,maybe Captain America's I dunno never been there) there in nowhere that matches Eddie Rockets, and now with the on going voucher offers, I can have 2 :D

Off the top of my head : Bobos, Real Gourmet Burger, The Counter(from the people who brought us Eds), Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Jo Burger, Ricks are all superior to Eds. Some are cheaper. There are probably many more as the market is now saturated with 'upper end' burger joints and there seems to be a new one opening every month or so.

Eds used to have the market to themselves but are being left behind rapidly. The menu is stale and attempts to overhaul it, with items such as chicken in a basket, gravy, mashed potato, haven't really been successful.

Advertisement