Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college assignment on childhood obesity

• 04-05-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im currently writing a reseach brief for college which poses the question if there is a major link between high processed foods and childhood obesity. Just as i know people here are great at having many sources to do with obesity at hand could anyone shed some light or link me to a place where I might find said sources cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

I wish it were that simple..I really do:P

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

pubmed.com you should have access to most of the journals if your in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

pecker1992 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im currently writing a reseach brief for college which poses the question if there is a major link between high processed foods and childhood obesity. Just as i know people here are great at having many sources to do with obesity at hand could anyone shed some light or link me to a place where I might find said sources cheers :)

The Journal of Obesity is probably a decent start. Find a related review paper and you can start sourcing from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

Thank you all for the help..it is much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Google scholar is a very good research tool.

http://scholar.google.com/

If you search within the college network you should have access to the full text of papers

But just because something is published does not make the conclusions of the authors are automatically true. It pays dividends to learn some basic stats and how to really dig through a paper:

http://www.bmj.com/about-bmj/resources-readers/publications/how-read-paper

Endnote is a great little program that helps you organise your citations and put them into word. A lot of colleges provide it on college computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Maybe you could do two separate streams of research one looking for sources detailing changes in food processing/new ingredients/change in diets/market sales of certain foods/popularity of fast food places etc. and one for obesity in children stats, I'm not sure whether you'd like to focus in on UK or American findings or which ones are easier to get online. Get in contact with safe food or some similar organisation in Ireland and see if they have any resources as they've been publicly dealing with the obesity issue here recently.

Edit and see if there are any correlations between the times frames, childrens weight changing against findings relating to food and food processing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Nation master is a great little tool for getting population data between countries:

http://www.nationmaster.com/index.php

Advertisement