Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

Ginny wrote: »
    Silly I was told 6 weeks??? I am completely freaked by them, I thought it was just my ankles and feet till I knelt down last night and when I stood up there was a huge crater in it!!!
    Although I had at least 4 saline drips and 2 oxy drips too so I could be retaining fluid from them, tis only my feet and legs though, hands seem to have gone down.
    Every muscle hurts now though, from my neck down, thank god for Ponston and Solpodine. I have the home visit tomorrow, what happens at them other then the heel prick?
    Oh and Chicken I noticed his hands and legs went purple i the hosp when they did the bath, so I'm sure its normal?

home visit:she will check yer stitches and check bubs over and tell you how to register the birth and stuff
    mine was a little mad she showed me how to use my doorbell(cause i didnt hear it ring:D) she also said to selotape a cushion to birthing ball and put feet on it when sitting down ....swelling was gone within 72 hours
    thanks about the bath im still not right from it and keep checking his arms to see if theyre moving the same(over cautious i know) ......even my ten day old baby sighed at me when i done it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mmmn..chicken

its a brave move alright mink....the water birth maybe have the gas and air handy just in case.
    i think everyone gets nervous at the end .....regardless of what way they are planning on having it.
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'd say I'll end up using the gas & air, probably all her tanks that she has.

After reading some of the birth stories I'd nearly be braver going into hospital, women don't seem to get listened to & there's such a change over of staff that no one follows their notes or correlates all their history so stuff gets missed!

I feel more confident with my midwife as she's over 20yrs experience delivering babies and knows me through & through and will be with me the whole way, no shift change. Well all going to plan that will be how it goes!

In fairness not all hospitals like that, when my sis was in Rotunda they were very busy but they really looked after her brilliant (apart from missing that her bladder was about to burst as too full & blocked)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I must post my birth story in that thread :) it was such a sedate affair you'd fall asleep reading it but I guess it's nice to know that some births (section in my case) go super smooth :)

Mink I understand how you feel re having a stable force during labour considering what you have read etc :) I do hope you get the birth you want & manage to stay home for the whole event :) its gotta be nice not to be in hospital & have your partner with you all that first night :)

I shuffled over to the August thread with my tail between my legs :-) its going to be an August baby!

Two mums def write your birth story, will help ladies booked in for sections and they are nervous about it or have heard horror stories re sections.

OH called his mam to let her know that there was some stuff happening, but might still be a false start. It seems to have sunken in with her that we're having it at home and I think she wants to be here for the birth! She's a bit high strung so I think we're just going to have her over as soon as baby's born

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I better shuffle to August too :o.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Oh jesus Mink make sure she doesn't come over for it, god that would be my worst nightmare.
    I think we managed over 5 hours sleep last night, fingers crossed it continues! Did everyone else's maternity benefit kick in on time?

I won't tell you how much sleep I got ginny as I'll only make you jealous!

I think she offered to be here as I don't have my mam and sisters are in uk. But even if they were here I think I'd just have OH and midwife there for birth. I don't know how those American women have their whole family in the birthing room.

Oh yeah that would freak me out, so much pressure! Sure until the second I needed him to I insisted my OH stayed up top holding my hand!

notsobusy-2nd July - *Boy* - BORN 27th June, 7lbs 2oz
    Tinkerbell4484 - 4th July - *Girl* - BORN 25th June, 5lbs 3oz
    Mamaheidi-8th July - *Girl* - BORN 14th July, 7lbs 6oz
    Cyning-8th July *girl* - BORN 7th July, 7lbs 15oz
    Barremic -9th July *boy* - BORN 17th June, 6lbs 14oz
    Javagal-9th July - *Girl* - BORN 20th July, 9lbs 10oz
    Robinc-9th July - *Girl* - BORN 3rd July, 6lbs 15oz
    Kiwi2011-12th July *boy* - BORN 26th July, 7lbs 3oz
    Kash-13th July - *Girl* - BORN 14th July, 9lbs
    WWC1 - 13th July - *Girl* BORN 25th July, 7lbs 9oz
    minibear - 13th July *Girl* - BORN 15th July, 7lbs 1oz
    Nyquist Freak -14th July - *Boy* - BORN 10th July, 8lbs 2oz
    KildareAsh-15th July *Girl* - BORN 22nd June, 7lbs 8oz
    Twomums2be - 15th July *Girl* - BORN 10th July, 8lbs 8oz
    Feest - 15th July - *girl* - BORN 14th July, 7lbs 6oz
    Silly- 18th July *boy* - BORN 26th July, 9lbs 3.5oz
    Fri.Day - 18th July - *Boy* - BORN 27th July, 8lbs
    Mmm...chicken - 21st July *Boy* - BORN 19th July, 8lbs 8oz
    Trions - 22nd July *Boy* - BORN 29th July, 9lbs 2oz
    Saurelin- 22nd July - *Girl* - BORN 21st July, 6lbs 6oz
    March11 - 24th July -
    Ginny - 25th July *Boy* - BORN 26th July, 7lbs 4oz
    Tinkerbell79 - 27th July *Girl* - BORN 1st Aug, 8lbs 8oz

Mink- 28th July - *Boy*
    Jennytightlips - 29th July *Boy*- BORN 13th July, 6lbs 7oz
    theg81der- 31st July - *Boy*

Congrats Tinkerbell 79 on your gorgeous girl. And then there were 3...

If don't hear anything from March2011 by the 7th I'll mark as born.

It's quiet in here *as is my womb at the moment*

• Advertisement

Me too Mink last night I got that "just before your period feeling" last night then it vanished :confused:

I`m actually giving up at this stage :(

Why won`t he come out - everything in sight is clean, his leaba is ready, his clothes are in the newly painted lovely nursery, colostrium is ready to flow.....Bring.on.the.PAINNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Isn't it the most frustrating time of your life??

I was ready to ask OH to go up there with two spagetti spoons and pull her out himself.

Can't...erase..disturbing....mental...image

Think I could fashion something to work with our vacuum cleaner?

Mink wrote: »
    Can't...erase..disturbing....mental...image

Think I could fashion something to work with our vacuum cleaner?

Your creative I'm sure you could!
    He'd prob come out with a mohawk then too which would suit his future rock stardom

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭trions

Hi all,
    haven't been on in a while - it's been a bit hectic - thanks for all the good wishes. Finally home with baby Dylan - had him sunday morn at 10.04, weighing in at 9lbs 3oz! he is amazing - completely in awe of him... Ended up having a pretty traumatic labour and delivery, pretty similar to yours Java - but worth every minute... will put up the full story on the birth stories thread - for the final 3 - when they ask u if u want an epidural say - yes please!
    Hope everyone is doing well - will have to read back over thread and see what i have missed x

And if they don't ask you keep pushing them to give you it, I found you literally have get angry to get noticed, well we did.
    Congrats Trions!!

Why are you guys sayin take the epi? they want me to have it at 2cm and I don`t want to was going to try just petadine (sp?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

If you don't want the Epi then don't have it. I had to have labour induced with the drip after it stalled and was given the Epi (because my blood pressure was up and the drip makes the contractions unnaturally painful) - I hated it. Couldn't feel the contractions anymore so I had to wear the uncomfortable monitoring belt. Couldn't move around, both legs went dead and I still have back problems because they were hanging off the end of the too-short bed and dragging out of my lower back.

I'd had 18 hours of normal pain-relief free labour prior to that and would prefer to deal with that any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

It's totally up to you whether you want it or not but what I think the others are trying to say that if you want it you have to shout for it. Literally!!! Especially if it's your first one.

I'm so glad I took it because of my labour. I had total movement in my legs. They did it in such a way it numbed from the top of my bump to my bum.

• Advertisement

What notsobusy said, if you don't want it, no bothers, but if you do make sure you're listened to.
    After 2 days on the pre-labour ward I was given the oxy drip too, it brought on intense continuous contractions and the midwife wouldn't give me the epi, another midwife saw the pain I was in and ordered it, saying when you're on the drip the contractions are unpredictable so the like giving the epi early on as they can't judge how fast and hard the contractions/labour can get. Only for the 2nd midwife I dread to think what would have happened, as the epi didn't initially take and I needed 2 top-ups before it did (and even then I was still able to feel mostly everything), and then I went from 2-10cm in less then 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

The difficulty is that the Epi is unpredictable. It might work like a dream, or it might even prevent you from being able to push (as it did to a friend of mine). Make whatever choice is best for you and as the others have said, make sure you get listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I am all for the epi too. I felt every contraction with it ( but just not as bad) my legs were a bit dead but I was able to move them. But like everyone says, if you don't want it, then don't be bullied into taking it.

But at the same time, if you do want it.. and you feel your progressing fast, give yourself enough time to make sure you get it.

Midwife said if I had of left it 20 mins later it would of been too late as I was 9.5cm an hour after it was in..

as I said I'm glad I got it because of the suction and episotomy and other things but after I learnt to time my gas well, it was manageable..

I found the face mask with the gas easier to use than the mouth piece thingy...

After Mink and theg81der pop, I'm organising we all rendevouz back here for the July 2012 babies year book..
    Categories to include...

Longest/Shortest labour
    Smallest/biggest baby
    Most over/under due
    Baby with most/least hair
    Most likely to be pregnant again within a year
    Most likely to give up their career and be a midwife

Then individually,
    Favourite thing about being pregnant(aside from having a baby!)
    Worst thing about being pregnant
    Most embarrassing moment during pregnancy
    Timescale(if any) to next baby

Suggestions welcome!

Love y'all mad bitches and this thread-it has been my favourite thing to do the past 9 months, you all feel like sisters who I tell wayyy too much to and I'm so glad we have our facebook group or I'd miss all your advice/stories/ears x

Good idea Java. Yeah you girls know WAY more about me now then a lot of people, it's gas. Also great having faces to put to the names (real & boardsie names).

Re the epi, the main point is it is very unpredictable. If you're induced you probably will need/want it as the drip makes contractions way crazier than natural ones (per what I've been told by women who've gone themselves & been induced).

I've spoken to LOTS of women who declined the epi on all their births or they had it on first one & declined it on later ones. Usually their main reason was they didn't want to open the door to complications that can come with the epi (not being able to push properly & then needing forceps/suction).

But also if you're really exhausted and still in tons of pain, the epi can be great to let you relax and then dialate that last bit (while having a snooze) and get your energy back for the pushing - by which point the epi may have worn off a little so you can feel the pushing urge. I had one sis in the camp above and one sis in this latter one.

Jeez birth is so unpredictable!! You'll know yourself what you can and cannot tolerate. Go with your gut and if you do definitely want it, then shout for it. But if you think you can go without it you're probably better off.

Oh I'm crapping myself haha

Mink wrote: »

Oh I'm crapping myself haha

Don't be!!!

Your using gas right? You'll be grand!! I was surprised with how well I coped with it. I was checked while waiting for epi to kick in and was 7 cm and really and truly if you can get the gas the second you feel that pain, the relief is great. Its still painful but it lessens the pain to almost a dull throb over a stabbing..

Then again I was like a pissed puppy..

Yeah they gave it to me while putting the epi in, it was so weird. A few puffs and I was that self conscious drunk whoes had a few pints in a room of people stone cold sober,it was a strange feeling, then I started retching, I think I was a bit over overenthusiastic with sucking it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Hi girls just dropping in from the august thread. Probably a silly question but the stretch marks come after the baby is born. I don't have many yet but i keep getting told by people its after they appear?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭trions

theg81der wrote: »
    Why are you guys sayin take the epi? they want me to have it at 2cm and I don`t want to was going to try just petadine (sp?).

I think every labour is so different and it's completely your choice what pain relief to go for, i thi9nks its best to go in with an open mind and know what your options are. personally i was hoping not to get the epi but the gas made me really sick - couldn't use it at all. my labour progressed quite quickly once my waters broke, we had some complications so we knew before we went to delivery suite that it would more than likely be an assisted delivery so ended up getting the epi and was glad i did, ended up having a forceps delivery and episiotomy:( once you little baby is put into your arms it's all forgotton and you'd do it all again in a heartbeat - it's the most amazing feeling - worth every second...

Advertisement