Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU or UCD (Smurfit) Masters in Accounting?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Cyrus wrote: »
    fair enough, best of luck with everything and i hope it all goes well for you :)

i would reiterate tho, if there is no cost implication and the travel to both is the same, id go with DCU personally.
    I'd say if DIT suits you better go for it from what I've been told the guy who runs this course knows his stuff and if you get good grades you'll pick up a big 4 contract if thats what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

ted2767 wrote: »
    I'd say if DIT suits you better go for it from what I've been told the guy who runs this course knows his stuff and if you get good grades you'll pick up a big 4 contract if thats what you're after.

That is exactly what I heard myself :-) and that's exactly what I'm after :-) .
    Hopefully the good grades will be maintained lowest result in my final year was 65% , still couldn't even get an interview :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 martin2012

Hi guys
    After communicating with the experts and also searching different websites I really became interested to pursue a master degree in accounting at DCU. Today one my friends just told me about a shocking news, he said 50% of the students in the master class are already sponsored by the accounting firms and the rest are paying the full course fees by themselves & they are not really job guaranteed after completing their course, he mentioned that I am going to have a tough year, workload ect.... and spend lot of money and time & may end up with nothing (NO JOB!!!), I was told that, it’s better to spend a little bit more and do the master in accounting at Smurfit if I really want to get something after that, master in accounting at DCU is tough for no reason and you sacrifice your life and money and time for a year!!! I just wonder if this is really true?!!!! The only reason that I want to do my master at DCU is to get a JOB after. Please give me some advice in relation to this important issue if you studied the same degree and experienced the same thing!! Cheers:confused::confused::(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

martin2012 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    After communicating with the experts and also searching different websites I really became interested to pursue a master degree in accounting at DCU. Today one my friends just told me about a shocking news, he said 50% of the students in the master class are already sponsored by the accounting firms and the rest are paying the full course fees by themselves & they are not really job guaranteed after completing their course, he mentioned that I am going to have a tough year, workload ect.... and spend lot of money and time & may end up with nothing (NO JOB!!!), I was told that, it’s better to spend a little bit more and do the master in accounting at Smurfit if I really want to get something after that, master in accounting at DCU is tough for no reason and you sacrifice your life and money and time for a year!!! I just wonder if this is really true?!!!! The only reason that I want to do my master at DCU is to get a JOB after. Please give me some advice in relation to this important issue if you studied the same degree and experienced the same thing!! Cheers:confused::confused::(:(

You're never going to be guaranteed a job. However you're in a far better position and much more employable when you have CAP2 exemptions. I find it hard to believe you'll go without a job once you have CAP 2's.

In terms of the UCD DCU question. I've heard first hand experience of DCU students that the masters is a difficult year. But smurfit is aswell so its six of one, half a dozen of the other. If you want an easy year just go to Maynooth- by far the easiest of the lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FzDIT

sodabread wrote: »
    You're never going to be guaranteed a job. However you're in a far better position and much more employable when you have CAP2 exemptions. I find it hard to believe you'll go without a job once you have CAP 2's.

In terms of the UCD DCU question. I've heard first hand experience of DCU students that the masters is a difficult year. But smurfit is aswell so its six of one, half a dozen of the other. If you want an easy year just go to Maynooth- by far the easiest of the lot!

I think sodabread is right, I can't see the point that you do your masters in DCU. Just go to DIT or UCD (If you have the money) , I've heard they make the DCU masters in accounting very very complicated and hard for students. DIT tuition fees is almost the same with DCU and the course and college is lovely and comprehensive, lecturers are accessible and helpful.

"DON'T GO TO DCU" can't see the logic why they make the course so tough!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KingEnda

From what I have heard DIT has a good masters for students interested in a career in accountancy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 finn78

sodabread wrote: »

no one said about a masters in NUIG? what about the masters in accounting in NUIG??? is it good??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 headhoncho1

finn78 wrote: »
    no one said about a masters in NUIG? what about the masters in accounting in NUIG??? is it good??

NUIG is quite good apparently. I did the MAcc in UCD a few years ago.

As the commenters above noted that the most important thing is your 3 years in the Big 4 and your ACA.

However, in my opinion the best of the main Masters would rank

1. Smurfit
    2. DCU/NUIG
    3. UCC
    4. DIT
    5. The rest

The pass rate in the FAE's for UCD MAcc students is over 80%, which is higher than the others AFAIK. Also, Smurfit is very highly ranked internationally as a business school. None of the other colleges are even close reputation wise (which does matter a bit, for better or worse).

I completed the Masters in DIT.

I picked DIT over DCU , I wasnt able to go to Smurfit for logistic reasons , if I was able to I would have.

I would strongly recommend the Macc in DIT highly, I found the lecturers all highly knowledgeable in their areas and all "Big Four" trained.

I went into the course without a training contract and with the help and guidance of the careers team and lecturers there I was offered a position in the top 6 accounting firms in which I applied.

My opinion on the masters would be

UCD
    DIT
    DCU

If you want any more information about the course let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why would you drop DCU past DIT?

DCU course is being changed next year according to an email, two less modules, making it less CA throughout the year and less work during the summer on the research portfolio.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Why would you drop DCU past DIT?

DCU course is being changed next year according to an email, two less modules, making it less CA throughout the year and less work during the summer on the research portfolio.

At the time of applying for my Macc , DCU actually gave two extra modules over the others. I didn’t see any benefit in doing these two extra subjects. At the end of the day the majority of people that want to study masters in accounting is to get one thing, the exemptions.

Another big factor for me , was when applying to DIT/DCU I was asking several questions from the head of each respective course. Martin Quinn emailed me the answers I was looking for, Declan Doran rung me to discuss them. I am a very personable guy and that small touch meant a lot to me.

Little Pea wrote: »
    At the time of applying for my Macc , DCU actually gave two extra modules over the others. I didn’t see any benefit in doing these two extra subjects. At the end of the day the majority of people that want to study masters in accounting is to get one thing, the exemptions.

Another big factor for me , was when applying to DIT/DCU I was asking several questions from the head of each respective course. Martin Quinn emailed me the answers I was looking for, Declan Doran rung me to discuss them. I am a very personable guy and that small touch meant a lot to me.

Fair enough,

I think if you are just going for the exemptions, DIT or NUI Maynooth are best due to the fact that they don't seem to add any more I think.

I think DCU/UCD are more recognised in my own opinion, and now that they've dropped those two extra modules, it makes it a lot more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I've been given advice to aim for smurfit when I graduate next year. I'm just finding it hard to justify the €3k extra cost over any other Macc course.
    In the event you graduate with a 2:2 are there any masters courses open to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Does anyone know of someone who did a masters in Accounting in either NUIM or NUIG? And what it was like?

Personally I'd only be doing a masters in order to get more exemptions/have a better CV ie. with a masters

Granted Smurfit is probably the best of the lot but if your being sponsored to do the masters (by a Big 4), you've already a job after you graduate, so what's the benefit, down the line, of paying the extra €3k?
    If you've the same outcome as someone that did the Masters in NUIG DCU UCC or NUIM? It's all about exemptions right?

And accommodation in Dublin is pretty pricey (well for me anyway).

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Oldspice

What date did DCU finish this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

What date did DCU finish this year?

Exams finished late May and dissertation deadline is 31st July, although you're free to submit it before that.

So depending on what plans you have for the summer you could free up a good bit of July by keeping the dissertation high up the priority list during the year and getting stuck in again straight after exams.

lavine7 wrote: »
    Exams finished late May and dissertation deadline is 31st July, although you're free to submit it before that.

So depending on what plans you have for the summer you could free up a good bit of July by keeping the dissertation high up the priority list during the year and getting stuck in again straight after exams.

Do you have to wait around or anything for a dissertation meeting? Or could you try and get it done by the end of June?

Is there a possiblity of getting into either of these without a 2:1?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Do you have to wait around or anything for a dissertation meeting? Or could you try and get it done by the end of June?
    Your assigned supervisor is only available till the end of June so after that you're on you're own. There are no presentations etc. that have to be made so nothing to wait around for. Ideally, an end of June target date would be best as you would be able to discuss everything with your supervisor right up to submission.

Assuming they drop two modules next year as was mentioned earlier in the thread, you should have time to make decent progress before the summer exams start anyway to facilitate an early submission date. We were told that some people previously managed to submit in early June but I would imagine this is a rare exception rather than the rule. Having said that, if they reduce the workload during the year, this may become more realistic to aim for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 masterac

Smurft is the superior choice.

UCD has the only internationally ranked business school and the intensity of the masters is far higher than in NUIG, UCC, DIT, DCU etc.

You will come out with better knowledge if you choose UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

masterac wrote: »
    Smurft is the superior choice.

UCD has the only internationally ranked business school and the intensity of the masters is far higher than in NUIG, UCC, DIT, DCU etc.

You will come out with better knowledge if you choose UCD.

Do you work for UCD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 masterac

No,

I just do my research. Prove me wrong.

{mod edit} masterac banned for one month for refusing to heed warnings re registering.

Does anyone know if there is a chance of getting accepted in DCU with a 2:2 undergrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭cson

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a chance of getting accepted in DCU with a 2:2 undergrad?

Yep, you'll be grand. They're struggling for numbers atm.

cson wrote: »
    Yep, you'll be grand. They're struggling for numbers atm.
    Good to know. I think i'm doing the same undergrad as you in UL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hamm

Does anyone know what months the DCU and UCD accounting masters will start and end for the 2014/15 year?

I've read that UCD do a preparatory summer school in accounting before their accounting masters begins. Can anyone tell me when this begins and how intensive is it?

Advertisement