Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RHCP - 26th June 2012 Croke Park

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roryj123

Yeah, it was certainly in the region of about 40-50% empty anyway. I really don't understand why the didn't change venues. In saying that, charming stories about Noel Gallagher scoring in Croke Park might not have emerged had it not been for the use of the stadium, so it was worth it.

Concerts,Stadiums anyway in Ireland don't seem to be max full any more with the economy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

roryj123 wrote: »
    Concerts,Stadiums anyway in Ireland don't seem to be max full any more with the economy.

Agreed and i think one of the main reasons is the price

Agreed and i think one of the main reasons is the price

True I heard that from a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Red Hot Chili Peppers have played a lot in Ireland over the last 10 years and I think people have just had enough of them at this stage. The couple of times I saw them I felt they were just going though the motions. I think the poor turnout in croker was indicative of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Be interesting to see the future of RHCP gigs in Ireland at this point. Hard to see them playing any more stadium gigs here with how poorly this show sold.

I didn't think this gig was terrible, it was alright not as good as the O2 gig (which was awesome), I think the worst part was when Anthony walked off stage without telling the crowd. Think it would've been better if he said he needed to catch his breath or something to that extent, agreed Flea deserves much more credit and you would swear he's the frontman.

I don't think I'll be pushed to see them again unless the next album will be something closer to what they were doing for the first few records, and maybe in the unlikely chance we'll get a 25th anniversary tour in 2016 for BSSM with Frusciante on board;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

there was a few moments where your ears auto focus on the guitar and it wasn't there!!

karaokeman wrote: »
    Be interesting to see the future of RHCP gigs in Ireland at this point. Hard to see them playing any more stadium gigs here with how poorly this show sold.

I didn't think this gig was terrible, it was alright not as good as the O2 gig (which was awesome), I think the worst part was when Anthony walked off stage without telling the crowd. Think it would've been better if he said he needed to catch his breath or something to that extent, agreed Flea deserves much more credit and you would swear he's the frontman.

I don't think I'll be pushed to see them again unless the next album will be something closer to what they were doing for the first few records, and maybe in the unlikely chance we'll get a 25th anniversary tour in 2016 for BSSM with Frusciante on board;).
    I can still see them doing outdoor shows but maybe on a smaller scale eg Aviva Stadium

I can still see them doing outdoor shows but maybe on a smaller scale eg Aviva Stadium

The Aviva would be a possibility if they could get a big support bill again, 40,000 out of 50,000 wouldn't be too bad.

Either that or something like Marlay Park.

karaokeman wrote: »
    The Aviva would be a possibility if they could get a big support bill again, 40,000 out of 50,000 wouldn't be too bad.

Either that or something like Marlay Park.

Even the RDS what where their touring company thinking? Just move venues!

If they go for the RDS then they would have to switch promoter to Aiken instead of MCD

• Advertisement

Let's not forget that there are crowd restrictions on the pitch in Croker and that pitch is F**ckin huuuge! Looked empty but was probably close to capacity.

I think there are numerous reasons why this is a slow selling gig:

1. RHCP played the O2 on 04/11/2011, the same day as the Croke Park gig going on sale. Many of the 14,000 that attended the O2, of which I was one, could not afford to buy another ticket that day/week or month even. I had payed nearly €70 for my ticket plus hotel, diesel, drink, food etc.

2. People are waiting on a Slane 2012 announcment, persuming it will go ahead. Possible headliners include Stone Roses, Foo Fighters, Killers, Snow Patrol etc etc etc.

3. People are waiting on an Oxegen 2012 announcement, persuming it will go ahead. It was confirmed on 13th December last year so possible that news may come fairly soon. Oxegen may also be replaced by another festival but something will take place in July and people are waiting to see what comes out.

4. Coldplay are strongly rumoured to be playing the Aviva on 16th June 2012. A few Dublin hotels are already advertising Coldplay Concert packages. MCD are yet to confirm any details. Coldplay are scheduled for a stadium tour next Summer and there website states that Irish and European dates will be added shortly.

5. Bruce Springsteen plays the RDS in July with tickets priced at a cool €86-€96.

6. Electric Picnic early bird tickets went on sale last week which will draw its usual following plus a possible increase in demand if Oxegen changes its format away from a camping festival.

7. Marley Park series of gigs for next August have yet to be anounced but you would expect a series to take place given the relative success of this years gigs.

8. A selection of quality European festivals have been confirmed with tickets already on sale. There is always a strong following from Ireland at these festivals.

9. Sound can be poor a Croke Park unless you have pitch standing tickets or low level seating. It is a very big venue. Sound and views are always an issue for some.

10. People simply can't afford it when tickets, travel, hotels, food, drink etc etc are taken into account.

There is alot of CONFIRMATION needed with regards major events next Summer and until these have been confirmed one way or another, people will hold off and weigh up the options. Ticket sales could easily improve if some of the above DO NOT take place, however, sales might not improve if the likes of Slane, Oxegen, Coldplay etc etc all take place in June/July as expected!!!

Just a case of wait and see I'm afraid!!!

I don't think much of it comes into play besides the first and last,There is always something else on,Hurling matches on at the same time etc! most likely just to do with the recession!

The O2 date sold out in seconds, I reckon promoters were basing theit hypothesis of sales for Croke Park on how well the previous date sold.

Its probably the diehards who went to the O2 date and then most of them didn't have the money to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The right acts can sell out Croke Park... or certainly make it more full than 60%. I wonder did MCD make money after they paid their fee to the band?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

I don't think much of it comes into play besides the first and last,There is always something else on,Hurling matches on at the same time etc! most likely just to do with the recession!

I think the majority of points in the post are relevant actually. I didn't bring in factors from outside the music sence really (with the execption of mentioning the economy in my final point).

Many people who attend these big outdoor gigs attend plenty other big music events in Ireland and Europe every year and have to carefully decide what to attend and what to skip. The possibility of an Oxegen and Slane announcement when the Croke Park gig went on sale would not have helped sales.

Then take into consideration that 135,000 people attended Phoenix Park over 3 days just a week after the Croke Park gig.

I was at RHCP O2 gig and went to all Phoenix Park gigs.

When the Croke Park gig was announced I decided to wait and see what other big summer gigs would appear.

The right acts can sell out Croke Park... or certainly make it more full than 60%. I wonder did MCD make money after they paid their fee to the band?

not a chance somewhere said the break even point for many gigs is 70-80%

I think the majority of points in the post are relevant actually. I didn't bring in factors from outside the music sence really (with the execption of mentioning the economy in my final point).

Many people who attend these big outdoor gigs attend plenty other big music events in Ireland and Europe every year and have to carefully decide what to attend and what to skip. The possibility of an Oxegen and Slane announcement when the Croke Park gig went on sale would not have helped sales.

Then take into consideration that 135,000 people attended Phoenix Park over 3 days just a week after the Croke Park gig.

I was at RHCP O2 gig and went to all Phoenix Park gigs.

When the Croke Park gig was announced I decided to wait and see what other big summer gigs would appear.

Well I think anyway,There will always be something else on or other options even Madonna couldn't sell out the Aviva and she sold something like 60,000 at Slane Castle a few years ago,Concerts are one of the first things to go down in a recession.

what was the sound like from the pitch and the canal end? The stands are brutal. Plus Croke park is F***ing huge, never noticed it at games so much. Probably not the epic gig venue that was expected. There is also a "croke park residents "group who deal with the gaa regarding issues relating the impact of croke park on their lives, and i would imagine they control the curfew and volume of gigs.

Advertisement