Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying In Finglas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Bhoywunder wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

Pretty much the response that i get from others when I mentioned Finglas, some saying its terrible and others saying it's grand!

The "finglas is terrible" brigade generally dont live or are even capable of pointing Finglas out on a map of Dublin.

People who have actually been to Finglas or who live here will give you a more balanced viewpoint. Finglas is one of the best placed areas in Dublin, close to town, m50, phoneix park etc. well serviced by buses / taxis. It has a number of gyms, supermarkets, sports clubs and basically all that you would find in any area, although I find Finglas even more convenient than most.

Just use your head, the main problem in Finglas is contained to inside a few housing estates. You wouldn't even pass them unless you specifically went in to visit someone there. After you've looked at a few places feel free to send a pm to me, or to one of the other finglas posters if they're ok with that and we can advise you of the pro's and con's of each particular estate / area.

Look at what Finglas has to offer, look at the community and the people who live here, then look at the price of houses here compared to more "desirable" parts of the city, then sit back smile and be thankful for snobbery making living in Finglas so affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Falconhoof

clown bag wrote: »

Look at what Finglas has to offer, look at the community and the people who live here, then look at the price of houses here compared to more "desirable" parts of the city, then sit back smile and be thankful for snobbery making living in Finglas so affordable.

Cheap fuel at the tesco there as well if you can live with the double murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Falconhoof wrote: »
    Cheap fuel at the tesco there as well if you can live with the double murders.

Well if statistics are to go by, then thats the murders for this year allocated to Finglas...and statistically you chances of being murder elsewhere in Dublin are just as high. Bit like winning the lotto. Thou I think you would have more chances winning the lotto then being murdered in Finglas.

Well if statistics are to go by, then thats the murders for this year allocated to Finglas...and statistically you chances of being murder elsewhere in Dublin are just as high. Bit like winning the lotto. Thou I think you would have more chances winning the lotto then being murdered in Finglas.
    Actually no, Finglas is right up there as far as murders go. Trust me on this one.

Who wants to be neighbours with a serial killing hitman. Well that is if he was alive.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/daniel-gaynor-life-and-death-of-a-gun-for-hire-2301599.html

Actually no, Finglas is right up there as far as murders go. Trust me on this one.

Still more chances of winning the lotto. Ive not been murdered in Finglas and i spent alot of time there...you saying im going to be murdered? Something I dont know about?

• Advertisement

Still more chances of winning the lotto. Ive not been murdered in Finglas and i spent alot of time there...you saying im going to be murdered? Something I dont know about?

3 murders in the past 12 months out of a population of a populatoin of 32,000. So that is a 1/10000 chance of being murdered last year. Great odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Finglas is alright its a nice settled area.. areas to avoid are Berryfield, Cloonlara, Kippure, Deanstown/Cappagh Rd and Barry area but its a very small minority in these areas less than 1%.
    The people who have been murdered were linked to the drugs trade so if you're not in this business you've nothing to worry about. The east is a nice area with big semi detached houses up around Cedarwood, Glasnevin Ave, Pinewood etc..

3 murders in the past 12 months out of a population of a populatoin of 32,000. So that is a 1/10000 chance of being murdered last year. Great odds.
    Two of them people murdered weren't from Finglas so can't be included in the population, and the car involved was spotted up in Warrenpoint so its highly unlikely that the assassins were from Finglas.

Dotsey wrote: »
    Finglas is alright its a nice settled area.. areas to avoid are Berryfield, Cloonlara, Kippure, Deanstown/Cappagh Rd and Barry area but its a very small minority in these areas less than 1%.
    The people who have been murdered were linked to the drugs trade so if you're not in this business you've nothing to worry about. The east is a nice area with big semi detached houses up around Cedarwood, Glasnevin Ave, Pinewood etc..
    I've been hearing this for decades at this stage. "a few bad eggs" etc. Lets just call a spade a spade. Its a deprived area full of crime and poverty.

I've been hearing this for decades at this stage. "a few bad eggs" etc. Lets just call a spade a spade. Its a deprived area full of crime and poverty.

Sure and Im one of them, who just happens to live at a Chateau and Vineyard...I certainly didnt make my millions in crime and Im certainly not deprived.

What about you? What wonderful area do you live in? Are you sipping on a glass of Pessac-Leognan as we speak as well?

• Advertisement

Its not full of crime and poverty, yes parts of south Finglas are deprived but its by no means full of it.
    What part of Dublin are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

You clearly haven't a clue about the area.
    Serious crime, shootings etc occurs (for the most part) in Finglas South, West and Dunsink/back roads to Blanchardstown.
    A shooting anywhere east of Finglas Village would be an extremely rare occurance.

It would be like saying Dublin is a kip because lots of shootings happen in Tallaght.

Zamboni wrote: »
    You clearly haven't a clue about the area.
    Serious crime, shootings etc occurs (for the most part) in Finglas South, West and Dunsink/back roads to Blanchardstown.
    A shooting anywhere east of Finglas Village would be an extremely rare occurance.

It would be like saying Dublin is a kip because lots of shootings happen in Tallaght.
    I remember once visiting the Fingal House pub in Finglas East/Glasnevin Avenue about 2 years ago and without exaggerating 90% of the pub were on drugs. Went the toilet and one of the doormen was coming out of a cubicle with one of the guys that was hopping around with his top off.
    The Finglas West area isn't as bad or anywhere near Finglas South and Finglas East is no different.

I could also say that Blanchardstown, Ballymun, Coolock, Crumlin, Drimnagh, Ballyfermot, Clondalkin, Tallaght are as bad if not worse than Finglas but it's nearly all of Dublin then that has the problem. If you're not from an area you look at it on your high horse and say I wouldn't want to live there but it's not a problem with Finglas in relation to isolated incidents, it's a general Dublin wide problem and a social inbalance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

All my friends from school went on to do Masters/PhD's in University (Harvard and Cambridge...even Tallaght friends did same) and have high flying jobs in Dublin 4, Diplomats, Lawyers, Doctors, NASA etc.
    And how about you?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Can i ask how long you have been living in Finglas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

irishbird wrote: »
    Can i ask how long you have been living in Finglas?

Poor chap has probably only ever passed through it on the bus....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Zamboni wrote: »
    Ah, but it is :P
    Dotsey wrote: »
    I could also say that Blanchardstown, Ballymun, Coolock, Crumlin, Drimnagh, Ballyfermot, Clondalkin, Tallaght are as bad if not worse than Finglas but it's nearly all of Dublin then that has the problem. If you're not from an area you look at it on your high horse and say I wouldn't want to live there but it's not a problem with Finglas in relation to isolated incidents, it's a general Dublin wide problem and a social inbalance.
    My horses name is Kildare :pac:

=-=

There are bad places everywhere. As Dublin is a high density area, you'll get more bad places in a smaller geographical area. As always, a good name takes years to obtain, a bad name is given overnight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

This will be a never ending argument.

At the very least I think it is safe to say that Finglas is one of those areas of Dublin that if you are considering living in (especially buying), you need to be particularly careful to choose the right part of it or you could end up very... upset.

There are areas in Dublin where you do not need to be so careful.

Finglas is not one of those areas.

All agreed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

spockety wrote: »
    This will be a never ending argument.

At the very least I think it is safe to say that Finglas is one of those areas of Dublin that if you are considering living in (especially buying), you need to be particularly careful to choose the right part of it or you could end up very... upset.

There are areas in Dublin where you do not need to be so careful.

Finglas is not one of those areas.

All agreed?

You're only allowed have an opinion on Finglas if you live there.

Just kidding. I agree with you.

And how about you?

Im finishing off my PhD at the University of Bordeaux, France. And then will return to my hometown of Finglas. Ive never lived anywhere else in Dublin and dont see why I should bother paying crazy rent.

Shock horror what someone can achieve coming from a "deprived area full of crime etc". Wow actually "normal" people come from Finglas. It didnt do Bono any harm. Funny how people are quick to forget the high achievers from Finglas, yet are quick to point out a few shootings of people in the area, who are not even from the area.

And I think you could just as easily live anywhere in Dublin...but you could end up with the neighbours from hell. Therefore it wouldnt matter whether you were in Blackrock or Finglas. If you have nice neighbours, thats all that really matters.

• Advertisement

And I think you could just as easily live anywhere in Dublin...but you could end up with the neighbours from hell. Therefore it wouldnt matter whether you were in Blackrock or Finglas. If you have nice neighbours, thats all that really matters.

In fairness you're more likely to have the neighbours from hell in Finglas than Blackrock...

I've spent a lot of time in Blackrock and in general the people there stick to themselves and have a lot of respect for their surroundings. I can't say the same for working class areas (based on my experience).

Funny how people are quick to forget the high achievers from Finglas, yet are quick to point out a few shootings of people in the area, who are not even from the area.
    Doesnt matter where they are from, the murders are happening in Finglas, not Blackrock.

Doesnt matter where they are from, the murders are happening in Finglas, not Blackrock.

<Awaits the posts saying Blackrock is full of white collar criminals who are just as bad or worse than the criminals from Finglas>
    Sure the property developers all live in Blackrock and they destroyed the country!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Im finishing off my PhD at the University of Bordeaux, France. And then will return to my hometown of Finglas. Ive never lived anywhere else in Dublin and dont see why I should bother paying crazy rent.

Shock horror what someone can achieve coming from a "deprived area full of crime etc". Wow actually "normal" people come from Finglas. It didnt do Bono any harm. Funny how people are quick to forget the high achievers from Finglas, yet are quick to point out a few shootings of people in the area, who are not even from the area.

Bono wasn't from Finglas :eek:

January wrote: »
    Bono wasn't from Finglas :eek:

He was ;) check out your 1970's map of Finglas. My uncles and dad went to Primary school with him in Finglas. If my grandparents bought their house in Finglas in the 1940's and that was next to Bono's....then yeah its Finglas.

are you trying to "claim" bono on a technicality to somehow cover up the fact that finglas is a lower class slum?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Murders happen everywhere.

in the last 12 months there have 5 shootings in bray -

and i have lost count of the number of murders, beatings, break ins, criminal damage

i feel much safer in finglas then i ever felt in Bray.

unless you live in an area you cant judge it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

irishbird wrote: »
    Murders happen everywhere.

in the last 12 months there have 5 shootings in bray -

and i have lost count of the number of murders, beatings, break ins, criminal damage

i feel much safer in finglas then i ever felt in Bray.

unless you live in an area you cant judge it.

Well to be fair Bray also has a reputation!

spockety wrote: »
    Well to be fair Bray also has a reputation!

I know a few people from Bray and they all say it is a kip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

wifes from the "West"...lived in the "East" for ages...never had any problems there ever.....Finglas is not for the faint hearted ,like any working class area, its got its problems but we had great neighbours with a real sense of community...still go back for a pint ,lots of friends and family there ..to the OP, ask someone who,s actually from the area ...

Advertisement