Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best route Dublin to Killarney?

• 19-01-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi guys,
    Not 100% that i'm posting this in the right place but here goes anyhoo.
    I'll be driving to Killarney from Dublin in a few weeks time, i'm looking for some feedback whether i should go via M8/N8, through Portlaoise, Abbeyleix, Cashel, Mitchelstown. Or should i go via M7/N7, through Roscrea, Limerick, Newcastlewest, Castleisland. I've checked on Google maps and they're both roughly the same distance, so does anyone know which is best for road quality, traffic flow etc.? Your advice is much appreciated, thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I did this recently I next time I will do whatever it takes to avoid Mitchelstown to mallow road. It is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 misterburgess

Thanks for that, i'll probably go through Limerick so. I've gone this way to Tralee before and it wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

go via Limerick, I went that way only last summer, its a good spin but roads were fine and traffic wasn't bad, the by pass of Limerick is handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

draffodx wrote: »
    go via Limerick, I went that way only last summer, its a good spin but roads were fine and traffic wasn't bad, the by pass of Limerick is handy

id go via mitchelstown way because of motorway all the way except for abbeyleix to durrow. travel the limerick road from dublin every couple of weeks and its a pain in the arse, once you leave the motorway at portloaise its single lane all the way to limerick except for the new by pass at nenagh and 9/10 times you stuck behind a line of 20 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I would not advise Limerick road as IMO the road is very poor on both the Dublin section & after Limerick. Its almost entirely single carraigeway.

I have driven Dublin-Dingle & since new motorway sections of M8 I have driven via Cork City. It might be longer distance than direct but much better roads.

Definitely pick the N8/M8 as its 80% motorway. Going via Mitchelstown is the same distance as via Limerick. I would suggest thinking of going until Fermoy & then turn off for Killarney then but I have not travelled that road so can comment on.

Dublin-Cork-Killarney is pretty much guaranteed under 4 hours unless hit Cork at rush hour. Off peak I would say 3.5 hours. Cork-Killarney should be less than 1 hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

When are you going OP?Motorway section between Birdhill and Nenagh should be open apparently at the end of this month,will take some time off your route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 misterburgess

When are you going OP?Motorway section between Birdhill and Nenagh should be open apparently at the end of this month,will take some time off your route

I'm going on Valentine's weekend. Thanks to everyone for the advice but to be honest i'm still not sure which route to take! Like everyone i hate single lane crappy roads so i suppose i'm looking for the route with most motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Have done them all and
    Dublin - Cork - Killarnyey is the way to go even if doesn't seem to be
    If you avoid rush hour its even better and the roads are good most of the way.
    Plus any of the non motorways roads are the pits after the ice especially down the country
    Avoid Mitchelstown- Mallow-Killarney road at all costs
    Limerick to Killareny is not much bettter

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The cork killarney road is being repaired in and around macroom expect delays for this week and some of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I would also suggest Dublin - Cork - Killarney

I can get from Naas to the Dunkettle roundabout in 2hrs, then its thro the tunnel and out the N25 onto the Ballincollig by-pass within 10 min and there onto Killarney.

If there are roadworks however, maybe it should be considered.

I used to live in Ballincollig and remember before the bypass the town was a nightmare to get through but now I can get there in 2hr15min if I get a good run and thats on the speed limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I would also suggest Dublin - Cork - Killarney

I can get from Naas to the Dunkettle roundabout in 2hrs, then its thro the tunnel and out the N25 onto the Ballincollig by-pass within 10 min and there onto Killarney.

If there are roadworks however, maybe it should be considered.

I used to live in Ballincollig and remember before the bypass the town was a nightmare to get through but now I can get there in 2hr15min if I get a good run and thats on the speed limit

You're obviously avoiding Abbeyleix traffic either by timing or by cunning.
    OP, if you're going the Dublin-Cork-Killarney route, Macroom can be a traffic blackspot even when there are no roadworks. Like Abbeyleix, there are ways around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

With the new Dublin to Limerick motorway, is this now the best / quickest way from Dublin to Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Bottle wrote: »
    With the new Dublin to Limerick motorway, is this now the best / quickest way from Dublin to Killarney?

Is that finished yet? Came back that was a couple of months ago and it was on motorway, off motorway, on motorway, off motorway.

Wished I'd gone back the M8 as we went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

R.O.R wrote: »
    Is that finished yet? Came back that was a couple of months ago and it was on motorway, off motorway, on motorway, off motorway.

Nope,it's getting there though.

Great, thanks for the feedback. M8 it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You know I do this trip on a regular basis.

it's now faster ( although longer and takes more gas ) to go M8 all the way to Cork then up the N22

I did a return trip recently in one day , I went as described and came back via Mallow... the times , the Mallow trip took about 10 mins longer ( thats all)

Both were slightly (15-20 mins ) quicker that the fastest times I would clock via Limerick, that route is a real pain , it will be helped when the Castleisland b/p opens.

I did the trip at the weekend. I went down to Kilarney via Cork City, and returned to Dublin via Mallow. I drive a sports coupe, and the Mallow roads are not great. The wife was nearly reaching for her sports bra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Bottle wrote: »
    I did the trip at the weekend. I went down to Kilarney via Cork City, and returned to Dublin via Mallow. I drive a sports coupe, and the Mallow roads are not great. The wife was nearly reaching for her sports bra.

And what were the timings.

Yes that Mallow rd is interesting for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Any thoughts on this now with Motorway all the way to Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's really down to luck of the draw

M8/N22 - traffic in Macroom
    M7/N21 - traffic in Adare
    M7/N73/N72 - slow moving traffic / bad roads

Local knowledge can get you around traffic in both Adare and Macroom. Time of day will usually determine the severity of the traffic.
    M7/N73/N72 has the lowest probability of being stopped in a traffic jam but highest likelyhood of being unable to overtake slower vehicles, i.e. it's the way I'd go to Killarney if my car had a dodgy cooling system but otherwise I'd avoid if it wasn't for the fact I'm usually travelling to a point along this route and know the roads quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really depends what time of day you hit Adare. If you avoid rush hour and pretty much most of Friday you can get through Adare relatively easy. You then have to contend with Newcastle West and Abbeyfele though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Any thoughts on this now with Motorway all the way to Limerick?

I would say it's quicker and safer to M8 to Cork then N22 on the Cork ring road direct to Killarney. ~3.5hrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

n900guy wrote: »
    I would say it's quicker and safer to M8 to Cork then N22 on the Cork ring road direct to Killarney. ~3.5hrs?
    unless you get stuck, and you will get stuck between Macroom and Ballyvourney. Bad road, bottle neck in Macroom, and slow drivers. I avoid if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I travel to Killarney once a month an always go via the M7, it's the shortest way as the crow flies and you pass through 3 towns (Adare, Abbeyfeale and Newcastlewest) and two villages (Templeglantine and Farranfore) - that's it!

The way via Mitchelstown and Mallow depends on not getting stuck behind a tractor or truck and the actual road is a joke. Going via Cork is very long and you pay two tolls.

Plus off-peak, I've done Killarney to Ashbourne in 3hrs 15 without going over 140 on a motorway or 100 on a N-road.

Bottom line is that the M7 way is reliable; Adare is never as bad as Macroom for traffic and since the Castleisland bypass, there's even a decent stretch of road from Castleisland to Abbeyfeale.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

JayeL wrote: »
    there's even a decent stretch of road from Castleisland to Abbeyfeale.

Don't be tempted. That road is currently being funded by Traffic Corps and the Gatso Brigade. :mad:

Anybody who doesn't use the N7/M7/N21/N22 is mad in the head considering it is 2 - 3 lanes from Dublin to Adare(ish) and a very good N road between there and Killarney.

Anyway, I'm sure the OP is well aware of how long it takes since this thread is a Zombie. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Bogger77 wrote: »
    unless you get stuck, and you will get stuck between Macroom and Ballyvourney. Bad road, bottle neck in Macroom, and slow drivers. I avoid if possible

Again with a bit of knowledge and a look at a map, that road can be avoided....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

ianobrien wrote: »
    Again with a bit of knowledge and a look at a map, that road can be avoided....
    main N road is crap quality, the back roads are worse

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm just wondering have things improved since lasT January going via the M7. I was originally thinking of going via the M8 Fermoy etc but have been put off that route. Going as far as cork seems a bit far to switch back to Killarney. Any thoughts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm just wondering have things improved since lasT January going via the M7. I was originally thinking of going via the M8 Fermoy etc but have been put off that route. Going as far as cork seems a bit far to switch back to Killarney. Any thoughts ?

Mods probably won't like this but anyway!

Drove from Killarney to Dublin over the summer. Went Killarney-Farranfore-bypass Castleisland-Abbeyfeale-Newcastle West and on into Adare. After Adare I joined the motorway and from there motorway to Dublin. Took about 4.5 hours all in.

Advertisement