Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Dehumidifiers or Heaters to help dry out a house?

• 22-12-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I was just wondering if using a dehumidifier to help dry out a house would cause any issues?

Or should I go with a heater and gradually ramp up the heat?

The house is plastered (reveals need to be redone) and the screed have been in since the start of December. So I was wondering what I could do to help dry out the house over the Christmas. (Heating will be on 1st / 2nd week in January).

Cheers

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ninjaBob wrote: »
    I was just wondering if using a dehumidifier to help dry out a house would cause any issues?

Or should I go with a heater and gradually ramp up the heat?

The house is plastered (reveals need to be redone) and the screed have been in since the start of December. So I was wondering what I could do to help dry out the house over the Christmas. (Heating will be on 1st / 2nd week in January).

Cheers

If turning the heating on, set it to low temps such as 17 deg. Make sure you open windows a little to allow the moisture to dissipate.
    The biggest mistakes are made by people turning up full heat and then not leaving any way for the moisture to leave. they come back to warped swollen doors, warped window boards, skirts and architraves bulging off walls etc and in worst cases expensive timber floors warped or raised.

I dont see the need for a dehumidifier if proper practise is adhered too. If you dont want to open windws for whatever reason, then consider dehumidifiers but visit very regularly to empty them.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

As it stands we don't have any heating in the house as we don't have electricity yet (We are running a cable from a shed to power a single socket).

Given that we don't have heating I was thinking we could use Dehumidifiers to reduce the amount of moisture in the house. Alternatively I could introduce some space heaters and start them on a very low temperature to gradually raise up the temperature (basically keeping the house below 18 degrees).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ninjaBob wrote: »
    As it stands we don't have any heating in the house as we don't have electricity yet (We are running a cable from a shed to power a single socket).

Given that we don't have heating I was thinking we could use Dehumidifiers to reduce the amount of moisture in the house. Alternatively I could introduce some space heaters and start them on a very low temperature to gradually raise up the temperature (basically keeping the house below 18 degrees).

Dehumidifiers work best at 20 degrees. If you are using one, you must close all external doors and windows. If you are using a dehumidifier and heater together make sure its a heat source that doenst give off fumes like a kerosene or diesel heater, as there is moisture in the fumes.. use electric heaters.

At this time of year, a dehumidifier is probably your best option with a heater, you will need an industrial on with a 30litre per day average. They can as syd said be used to fill a 25l container, but you can also run a hose from them and out the door, ensure the hose doesnt go any higher than the outlet on the dehumidifier.

If you dont rent an industrial dehumidifier (probably about 80 euro /week), you can buy a domestic one for about 125 quid, these however will only do a max of 10l / day. They can be rented too for about 18 quid. There is however a severe shortage of the industrial ones due to the flooding in the country..

You will need one for probably 1 - 3 weeks. As Syd said dont try and dry out the house too quick as some people do, it will lead to more problems than its worth

Advertisement