Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad lonely goldfish- find a pond?

• 24-02-2012 4:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had two goldfish in a 60L tank for about 5 years. When one died, aged about 5, I replaced him after a couple of months (I couldn't face 'replacing' him any sooner) and all was grand for a while.
    However, my other fish died 2 years later aged 7 or 8.
    Now I have one (recently gotten very large) goldfish in a 60L tank. I don't want to get another fish because the tank is so small. But my fish is miserable. She just sits on the floor of the tank for most of the day and hardly swims around much.

She clearly needs more room, and company. Should I think about finding someone with a fish pond to take her, as I assume she'd be happier with more room to swim about and other fish.
    If this is the way to go, how do I find someone with a pond that would take her? Is there a re-homing fish website or something!? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you do find someone with a pond to take them let me know; I've been trying to rehome mine for a couple of months, but they're so big and so messy that it's hard. Even people with aquaria big enough don't want them because there are so few other fish that can be kept at such low temperatures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I have a pond with some goldfish already..reckon i've room for afew more :)

Where are you located?

kylith wrote: »
    Where are you located?

Dublin 11.

I can have him bagged up for you whenever would suit.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I can have him bagged up for you whenever would suit.

Can you PM me your address then please?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Is it common for birds to rob goldfish out of ponds and eat them?
    Someone said to me yesterday, 'ah, your poor fish will probably be eaten alive by a heron or something if you put her in a pond.'
    Is that true or is my friend talking crap?? :eek:

Herons will eat goldfish. Don't worry, most people with pond fish have some kind of heron deterrant.

That's good, my fish is in a small tank but I would feel pretty guilty if I sent her off to a certain death! :eek:

Posy wrote: »
    That's good, my fish is in a small tank but I would feel pretty guilty if I sent her off to a certain death! :eek:

Lol..dont worry. I have lost one fish to a heron but i'll ensure any rehomers are extra well protected!

• Advertisement

Now it's just a matter of persuading my family to part with her for her own good. She may have died of old age by that time though, sigh. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stephen_M

Did you rehome your goldfish? I have a heron safe pond with room for more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Ive a 5000L garden pond with about 30 goldfish and Koi. Heron are a constant nitemare, as they will sit there for hours waiting on the right time, and I have lost many fish to them. I have tried so many things to stop them, now we have a large cover over it, only thing he cant get through! Last summer I had taken the bridge off the pond to paint it, as it was drying I left it off.. Bad mistake. Came back an hour or 2 later and my large Koi that I have had for nearly 20 years was beside the pond speared... he was too big to eat (25 inch's). Devo...
    But pond cover now prevents. So yeah if you want to home him, I live in Dublin 14.

Advertisement