Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap and Cheerful Framing Suggestion

• 13-01-2006 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

If you've got some good photos they deserve to be enlarged and framed rather than just residing on your PC or on a website. Framing does not have to be expensive. Here is a suggestion: get some A4 size prints (I use www.photobox.co.uk - £2.50 a time). Buy some A4 Tesco "Easyframes" for €3.80 a pop and same size double mount matts at Woodies for €4.49 each. The photo does not have to be mounted on the backing board as the metal clips on the Tesco frame will keep it flat. Just use some Sellotape to secure the photo to the matt. You will need to slightly trim the Woodies matts to fit the frame - a Stanley knife will do the job. End result: a very neat looking framed photo for a fraction of the price you would pay in a framing shop. And as the photos are not permanently mounted on the backing board you can change them after a while for the sake of variety. They look great around the house and will show visitors what an absolutely brilliant photographer you are!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Nice prices alright!

*thumbs up*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

care to post up a photo of the finished product?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

DotOrg wrote:
    care to post up a photo of the finished product?

Here's a quick shot of one against a copy of The Irish Times to give a sense of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

That's nice, but is that the frame parting in the bottom right corner, or is it just a light reflection?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

A light reflection only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

looks very good indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 47 donncha

Very nice idea! Must get some shots printed to try that out!

Very nice actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Excellent Idea. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I was looking for sources of mounts for the people's photography thing and saw this. Where's Woodies? Do they still have these mounts? Does anyone know where else I might purchase such an item?

I'm guessing you'll be busy with your own stuff just now Rymus, or I would be offering a good few pints for your services! (mount cutting, that is, obviously, ahem...)

Or does anyone else have the gear? Usually I'd get stuck in and do it myself, but I don't have €150 for the proper thingamybob just now. Help!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

woodies is in sandyford industrial estate, also i saw some nice selection of frames downstairs in roches stores in blackrock. eleven, whens this peeps photography thing on, theres a good few of you going isn't there, wouldnt mind a walk down to have a gander

I'd gladly cut mounts for pints... But if you're in Dublin the logistics of the operation may be huge.

/me considers a new sig "Will cut mounts for Pints"

Actually.. the precut stuff is horribly priced. Went shopping for mountboard today, €3.75 for an A1 sheet that I can make 4 12x8 mounts from... or €4.50 for one 12x8 pre-cut mount.

Rymus, I'm sure the mounts you could post - but I think the pints might spill a bit...

I got an A1 sheet of black mountboard for a macro background from Easons and it was €5 I think. Sucky. Annoyingly, I also have square pictures so I may have to give one of those wee tools a try anyway. I'm fairly experienced at handling card so will give it a shot this weekend. My wedding invitations turned out alright... I may just succeed!

Mele - it's on the weekend of the 26th & 27th August, I'm sharing a spot with Morlar and I think Ali and Shrimp are going to be there too, will be more boardies lurking about though even if they aren't showing. Surely an ideal opportunity for a few beverages afterwards too?

wouldnt have minded displaying some stuff at that actually... oh well, always next year.

Err, if you really want me a cut a few mounts for you, send me a pm or something and we can work it out.

happy days.. there are spaces available :D Now whars me chequebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I have pictures in mind I want to purchase from you guys ,so you better have a couple of copies :) .

If it's any of mine I'll give you a few jpg's and you can print away all you like ;)

Just thought I'd say in case anyone finds it useful - I was downstairs in Roches on Henry St tonight and I got 8x10 mounts, a set of 1 cream & 1 black, for €1.75. They had smaller ones and bigger ones too. So I think I should be ok with them... I just can't use any of my square pictures!

The prices of the frames are actually quite decent, too.

glad you found the mounts elven, give me a shout if you need anything cut... like for those square prints :)

rymus wrote:
    glad you found the mounts elven, give me a shout if you need anything cut... like for those square prints :)

Read as:

I thought about your offer of free pints elven, and would like to accept it... Please beer me. :)

:D

That too... why d'ya think I suddenly grew such an active interest in partaking in peoples photography? Also, if anyone in Dublin has a spare bed & parking spot.. well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

what?
    you mean a person has to have photos as well....

ahh come onn!!

Fajitas! wrote:
    Please beer me. :)

You should get that printed on a t-shirt...

Rymus, I have to choose what shots I'm using this weekend so will let you know if I need any square mounts. Expect to be roped into helping me choose, though ;)

pshaw, I have to do everything around here :p

Didn't your mammy tell you? With privilege comes responsibility... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭JMcL

Slight aside for anybody wanting to buy one of these. The cutter and rule can be bought separately for about €10 less than buying one of the systems comprising the exact same thing. Thanks to the helpful staff in Cork Art Supplies for pointing this out when I was in the market for one a few weeks back (they don't seem to sell the rule online though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Great tips Carrigman.
    I've been thinking about doing this for a long time.

Would that be a freehand cutter or a cutter that fits into a groove along the rule? Cos I've had great fun with a freehand cutter & t-square in the past. So much so I nearly beat myself to death with the t-square. I wouldnt trade the contraption I've got now for all the cocaine in Columbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭JMcL

rymus wrote:
    Would that be a freehand cutter or a cutter that fits into a groove along the rule? Cos I've had great fun with a freehand cutter & t-square in the past. So much so I nearly beat myself to death with the t-square. I wouldnt trade the contraption I've got now for all the cocaine in Columbia.
    It's the one that fits into the rule (cutter here, and rule here) Works really nicely.

They have that push cutter in Easons for about €35. The one that isn't a 'push down' one is €23, but I didn't think it was worth trying out, just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I got some nice 15x12 black alu frames in Roches including mounts for €20.

Advertisement