Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Running group Galway??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Good luck with it lads. I won't be there this time round, over three weeks out now with tendonitis. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

looked like a great day for it. could'nt make it but hope there is another one as would be keen to tag along.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭finlma

There have been 3 runs by the group so far - Knockma, Derroura and Cong. Tonight sees the 4th run - a headlamp lit run through Kilcorman Woods. Meeting at 8:30 beside the Colga training pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pete_mcs

Great work T runner.
    It's not quite a mountain run, but this is a trail I like to do: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143720042
    Thanks for the link, is there a landmark at your starting part, is it a trail that you follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

pete_mcs wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, is there a landmark at your starting part, is it a trail that you follow?

The start point is here: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,514394,735356,6,0

As you drive up the road it turns from tarmac to gravel. The start point is the second road to the right on the gravel part and there is a wooden gate at the start of the turn off.

There's a small place to park just to the side of the road beside the point linked above.

I might try and see if anybody from the Mountain and Trail Running group are interested in doing all/part of it the weekend after next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There's another mucky night time run organised for Kilcornan Woods in Clarinbridge tomorrow night if anyone is interested.

Meeting at 8.30pm at the Colga football pitches near the back gates to the estate.

You will need a headlamp or torch and most likely a change of clothes for afterwards.

Heres the link to Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Thanks for keeping us informed. Trying to shake off bloody cold so wont make it. By the way what sort of distance do ye run. Ta

Is Mámean between Recess and Maam a runable trail? Have googled it, and only got this info
    http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?walk=21
    Has anyone done this trail? Is it easy to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Is Mámean between Recess and Maam a runable trail? Have googled it, and only got this info
    http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?walk=21
    Has anyone done this trail? Is it easy to follow?

Yes, ran it from the Lough Inagh side a few years back through to Maam on the far side. A great run.

In the woods is short enough (relatively) about an hour to cover 5-8km. Its work on the legs because it's so mucky and wet in places but great craic.

On the trails the gang were doing anything up to 15-20k, all steady pace, mostly limited by available time rather than the trails or conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Definitely be interested in this for next time out, when do you think the next run will be?

Yes, ran it from the Lough Inagh side a few years back through to Maam on the far side. A great run.
    Would that be from the turn off beside the hotel?

More a trail than a mountain run but I'd be interested in doing this one at some stage. It's a mixture of roads, bog, forest trails & foothills. It's a total of 55km but can be broken into two sections. I'd probably be looking at running it in two parts over the next few months with the view of completing the full length in one go towards the end of the summer maybe. (big maybe - I'll see how ball breaking it is first)

There are decent maps on the website linked below, one overall map & 6 more with it broken into sections.

It looks like it partially skirts the Connemarathon route although if I'm right we'd be running the Hell of the West in reverse (which is a good thing) & it also partially uses the Connemara Adventure Challenge route in reverse.

http://www.irishtrails.ie/Trail/Western-Way--Galway-/37/
    Overview Map
    Map 1
    Map 2
    Map 3
    Map 4
    Map 5
    Map 6

Anyone run this before? Is it passable along the whole route? I'd hate to get 8 or 9 miles in to find an impassable bog along the route.

I put a query on the County Galway forum about the Western Way being passable, the answer I got is below. I think I'll definitely look at running it in two sections over the next while. Time to start juggling the diary.

Yes, you can walk right through unhindered; but be very careful on The Leckavrea Boardwalk in Maam area.

I went walking on The Leckavrea Boardwalk last year, and nearly broke my neck half a dozen times on it, it was that slippery.

The problem with this boardwalk is that the planks used to built it were planed, when they should have been left rough an unplaned, to provide a good grip for walking boots. Either that, or chicken wire mesh should have been nailed to them, like the ones in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Would that be from the turn off beside the hotel?

We started at road junction off the lake. I don't recall the proximity to the hotel as it was a no. of years back. The road we jogged on first was a narrow country single track before we veered off left onto the Maameen walkers trail proper. Sorry I can't remember more specifics.

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    I put a query on the County Galway forum about the Western Way being passable, the answer I got is below. I think I'll definitely look at running it in two sections over the next while. Time to start juggling the diary.

Yes, you can walk right through unhindered; but be very careful on The Leckavrea Boardwalk in Maam area.

I went walking on The Leckavrea Boardwalk last year, and nearly broke my neck half a dozen times on it, it was that slippery.

The problem with this boardwalk is that the planks used to built it were planed, when they should have been left rough an unplaned, to provide a good grip for walking boots. Either that, or chicken wire mesh should have been nailed to them, like the ones in Wicklow.
    Leckavrea Boardwalk is fairly slippy all right, ran it last week on a misty day and it was nearly impossible when you had to turn a corner or head down a few steps. Seen a lot of footprints along side the boardwalk, so I would guess a lot of folks left the planks and ran in the bog!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Volovo

Would love to try some Mountain running myself. Haven't read every single post on here - has any group been setup?

Volovo wrote: »
    Would love to try some Mountain running myself. Haven't read every single post on here - has any group been setup?

There have been a few runs alright. The group has set up a facebook page and they are organising everything from that.

Mountain & Hill Running In Connacht - Facebook

Theres a headlamp trail run organised in Kilcornan Woods, in Clarinbridge for tomorrow evening at 8.30 - 9.30.

Details are on the Facebook page as usual. The meeting place is the Colga football pitches near the back of the estate and we go from there for 6-8k run at a nice easy pace.

All levels of runners are well capable of joining in and its not too mucky at the moment so trail shoes are not critical. There are some spare headlamps for anyone that is stuck for light, though a torch or bicycle lamp will work in a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

Have any of ye ever ran the Bangor Trail? Will be in Mulranny with the missus and baba next week and I should get one day to myself for a long run. Was thinking of the Greenway but was hoping for something more adventurous. Imagine with all the recent rain the Bangor Trail would be nigh impossible to run in parts so perhaps the Western Way from the bothy north of Newport to Bellacorick might be a compromise? Any other ideas? Looking to get at least ten miles in (plus climbing). Am an experienced mountain runner / hillwalker.

• Advertisement

222616.jpg
    The wednesday night runs are back this Wednesday in Kilcolgan Woods, Clarinbridge.

Info as per above post:

Theres a headlamp trail run organised in Kilcornan Woods, in Clarinbridge for Wednesday evening at 8.30 - 9.30.

Details are on the
    Facebook page as usual. The meeting place is the Colga football pitches near the back of the estate and we go from there for 6-8k run at a nice easy pace.

All levels of runners are well capable of joining in and its not too mucky at the moment so trail shoes are not critical. There are some spare headlamps for anyone that is stuck for light, though a torch or bicycle lamp will work in a pinch.

I would expect it to be extremely muddy underfoot so a change of socks & footwear for afterwards i spretty essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

MacAttackJ wrote: »
    Have any of ye ever ran the Bangor Trail? Will be in Mulranny with the missus and baba next week and I should get one day to myself for a long run. Was thinking of the Greenway but was hoping for something more adventurous. Imagine with all the recent rain the Bangor Trail would be nigh impossible to run in parts so perhaps the Western Way from the bothy north of Newport to Bellacorick might be a compromise? Any other ideas? Looking to get at least ten miles in (plus climbing). Am an experienced mountain runner / hillwalker.

ive walked it a few times but never ran it, yes there will be some very wet and very boggy sections alright..and sections of it especially as you get closer to bangor arent the clearest ( as of a few years ago, i know the council were planning to do some work on the marker posts since ) so youd want to be handyish with a map.. there are a few loops around the brogan carroll bothy -- the letterkeen loop walks, that would be a bit tamer.. a mix of rough forestry road, the western way and rocky path..with wet spots..
    the rocky section which would be between 2-3k would be hard on the ankles though..

pdf for maps here

http://www.mayowalks.ie/media/Media,14145,en.pdf

you can get to the brogan carroll bothy / letterkeen from newport, its signed for the bangor trail just outside the village on the mulranny side on the right, roughly 12k up the road from there.. if you need i can mark it on a map for you..

sorry..small bit out of date..did you run..how did you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

Thanks for that Woody.
    Had rained all week so I thought it best to avoid. Did a wee hilly loop near Mulranny and ran from Newport to Mulranny on the Greenway into a horrendous headwind. At 26 miles for the whole thing its crying out for a marathon although it does cross the road at several points.
    We did the Letterkeen Loop as a walk. Were the first punters to write in the log in the spanking new Mountain Meitheal built shelter at the foot of Nephin Beg. Is a terrific wilderness. Must go back again and climb Slieve Carr - reputedly Irelands remotest summit.

shows how long it is since i was there, had no idea there was a hut at the base of nephin beg.. must head out there next spring so..
    i think the bangor trail itself would be a great race ..but being point to point it would have issues with transport ....
    went to climb slieve carr several times before but cloud cover always stopped it..not a mountain i would climb in bad visibility..
    as for most remote.. i found out whilst doing some contract survey work for coillte a few years ago that theres a forestry road that goes right to the base of it on the east side of it... :D would cut out about 5 hours of walking..
    there was a story in the local paper recently about a proposal to add all this forestry to the glenamoy national park to make one huge wilderness area,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

woody1 wrote: »
    there was a story in the local paper recently about a proposal to add all this forestry to the glenamoy national park to make one huge wilderness area,

Shouldn't that be Ballycroy National Park ?

sorry yeah DUH !!

Advertisement