Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

44leto wrote: »
    Holy sh*t, that is kind of scary. But some would be crawling towards the end.

Or you'd be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

I remember reading it was safer for pedestrians for countries that deive on the right, it has something to do periphery vision, its sharper on the right. I couldn't find a link earlier.

Typically right handed people have stronger vision in their right eye. So if you drive on the right, your stronger eye will monitor the side of the road and pathways.
    BUT, if you drive on the left, you're supposedly less likely to drive into another car because your dominant eye will be viewing oncoming traffic.

Also weird: in countries that drive on the left, supermarkets usually run in a left to right fashion, but in countries that drive on the right, its right to left, because shoppers will be so used to travelling in that direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

They shouldn't though ;). If you actually read my post, they should not be able to fly, until it was observed that they flip their wings over on the upstroke. That is why they can fly.

There was no mention of whatever it was that you linked to. ;)

Until recently we did not know how they flew. ;). Until it was observed. ;) As was detailed in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Sindri wrote: »
    They shouldn't though ;). If you actually read my post, they should not be able to fly, until it was observed that they flip their wings over on the upstroke. That is why they can fly.

Until recently we did not know how they flew. ;). Until it was observed. ;) As was detailed in my post.

"They should not be able to fly" is kind of a dumb statement, though. Not attacking you, I just hear this one all the time and it drives me up the wall. They can clearly fly, so it's not that they shouldn't be able to, it's that we didn't know how they managed it.

"They should not be able to fly" is kind of a dumb statement, though. Not attacking you, I just hear this one all the time and it drives me up the wall. They can clearly fly, so it's not that they shouldn't be able to, it's that we didn't know how they managed it.

Yes but if they just flapped their wings up and down then they actually wouldn't be able to fly as it would not create enough lift. That is why they should not be able to fly, or so it was thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Yes but if they just flapped their wings up and down then they actually wouldn't be able to fly as it would not create enough lift. That is why they should not be able to fly, or so it was thought.

The wings on a plane don't flap up and down. How do they fly?

Magnets, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Magnets, I guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

ash23 wrote: »
    The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

What about North America and South America?

[/pedantic]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

quickbeam wrote: »
    [/pedantic]

Very.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

quickbeam wrote: »
    What about North America and South America?

[/pedantic]
    Yeah, but those are just descriptions for parts of America.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

kylith wrote: »
    Yeah, but those are just descriptions for parts of America.

North and south America are 2 different continents.

North and south America are 2 different continents.

Not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I only found out two months ago I didn't have to type www every time I enter a website address

Was using the internet for years and years before I read that here

Thanks boards

you ain't seen nothing yet

enjoy

http://imgur.com/a/im9hn

and you're all welcome

Not always.

They where since they drifted away from pangea they are seperate plate.

They where since they drifted away from pangea they are seperate plate.

Continents.
    A continent is one of several very large landmasses on Earth. They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, with seven regions commonly regarded as continents—they are (from largest in size to smallest): Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Continental_models-Australia.gif

• That's because you tell yourself that the placebo effect works and this sugar pill is a placebo so therefore this pill will work.
    It only works for people who don't understand what the word means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

danniemcq wrote: »
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    I only found out two months ago I didn't have to type www every time I enter a website address

Was using the internet for years and years before I read that here

Thanks boards

enjoy

and you're all welcome

+9x10^999999999999999999

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You always shut your eyes for a moment when you sneeze.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Magnets, I guess.
    Give that man a cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Until 1957 The bbc went dark for an hour at 6 so that parents could get kids ready for bed.

• Advertisement

Until 1957 The bbc went dark for an hour at 6 so that parents could get kids ready for bed.

Nice,
    I heard this on QI
    On April 18 1930 at the 6.30 bulletin. A BBC presenter announced "Good evening. Today is Good Friday. There is no news." It had been apparently judged that nothing newsworthy had happened.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bbc%20no%20news%20day&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewslite.tv%2F2011%2F04%2F18%2Fon-this-day-in-1930-bbc-said-t.html&ei=KDFET7qTLtG4hAe-vrinAg&usg=AFQjCNGqdbOv533FzDUOqe7E4Ym4cAsOAw&sig2=2CBkdTHVc_lnMzeB5ENxrw&cad=rja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

What do you call a fly with no wings?

A walk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Roman Emperors ordered the death of a gladiator by giving a thumbs up. The thumb represented the sword, so if the thumb was up it was an indication to draw the sword. If the gladiators life was to be spared the thumb was kept inside a clenched fist just like a sheathed sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

More people die each year taking prescription drugs than they do taking heroin or cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Heard this one on QI today:

There's more gold in a tonne of old mobile phones than there is in a tonne of ore from a gold mine. :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Strictly speaking a pound of feathers is heavier than a pound of gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Nice,
    I heard this on QI
    On April 18 1930 at the 6.30 bulletin. A BBC presenter announced "Good evening. Today is Good Friday. There is no news." It had been apparently judged that nothing newsworthy had happened.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bbc%20no%20news%20day&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewslite.tv%2F2011%2F04%2F18%2Fon-this-day-in-1930-bbc-said-t.html&ei=KDFET7qTLtG4hAe-vrinAg&usg=AFQjCNGqdbOv533FzDUOqe7E4Ym4cAsOAw&sig2=2CBkdTHVc_lnMzeB5ENxrw&cad=rja

April 18, 1930.

The Chittagong Rebellion begins in India.

The Supreme Council for Germany was installed by the Supreme Council of the Netherlands.

Experts claim this date fell in the midst of the Great Depression and witnessed the death of Joaquim Arcoverde de Albuquerque Cavalcanti, the first Cardinal to be born in Latin America.
    There was also the birth of Clive Revill, the New Zealand-born actor best known for his Shakespearean performances on the London stage.

I had to do a googley google search...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

danniemcq wrote: »

enjoy

and you're all welcome

:eek: What is this unholy witchery!?

I say burn him!!

April 18, 1930.

The Chittagong Rebellion begins in India.

The Supreme Council for Germany was installed by the Supreme Council of the Netherlands.

Experts claim this date fell in the midst of the Great Depression and witnessed the death of Joaquim Arcoverde de Albuquerque Cavalcanti, the first Cardinal to be born in Latin America.
    There was also the birth of Clive Revill, the New Zealand-born actor best known for his Shakespearean performances on the London stage.

I had to do a googley google search...:p

LOL

Its now there is 24 hour new and newspeak whether there is 24 hours of news worthy news or not, most stories are fillers.

I would love to flick on the 6 one only to hear Sharon say good evening there was no news today, now here is some cartoons to replace this scheduled programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Russia, North Korea, South Korea And Vietnam have a combined military population that is larger then the rest of the worlds combined.

If Russia, North Korea and China combined forces then we would all be fooked.

Vietnam has a larger army than the USA.

america very rarely scraps its old planes and tech, infact most is stored away ready to be used again in future or as cannon fodder in wwIII

who needs a large stand army of inflantry with t-55 tanks and serise II ak-47's when you can rape them with harriers... :pac:

Advertisement