Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvantCard - MBNA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 boardbaby101

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It's probably a little soon for the payment yesterday to be reflected. Payments via the AvantCard/ex-MBNA details have worked fine so far for me however.

It was over two weeks ago and they were saying they had no record of it! I think that's unacceptable and they had no urgency about them at all. Even though it was a cash payment they kept saying are you sure the payment was taken from your bank account... Cash at at counter?

Another guy I spoke to kept shouting over me, and I'm in a really quiet office so I had to let him rant on, and it was like he was reading from a sheet or something, ah basically he just wasn't listening to me at all.

Long story short, Avant Card only get one shot at this and they've definitely blown it with me, I'm lucky enough to not have to rely on my card, so I've paid the balance off now and ill just be cancelling and switching to a new provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 boardbaby101

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It's probably a little soon for the payment yesterday to be reflected. Payments via the AvantCard/ex-MBNA details have worked fine so far for me however.

Apologies I just read your reply properly, yes too soon for yesterday's payment, when that goes thru and they find the missing payment I'm cancelling my card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I think theyre great, I had a MBNA a/c which I short settled 3 years ago.
    AVANT has just sent me a statement saying I'm in credit for 1.07euro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anydroid

I'm waiting for a call back on what an "issuer markup assessment" (of 63 cent) is all about.

Flicking through the earlier discussion on this thread, I think we need to remind ourselves why Avant bought BoA/MBNA's Irish loan book in the first place... to sweat marginally distressed loans to the greatest extent possible. I don't view their business as anything other than an asset sweat and ultimately a wind down...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I had reason to call them the other day to get them to fully outline in simple terms how they apply interest to my account because I was confused by "interest added daily".

The person who I dealt with could not have been politer, friendlier and couldn't have been more helpful. This is odd because I never had the same experience with MBNA(same staff I'm sure) but wholly different in their approach this time.

As soon as my balance is paid down I will not be continuing business with them and will stick with my BOI €1,000 limit. (My AVANT card is blocked by my request so I don't pay stamp duty and pay a low interest rate).
    It would appear that if your query has absolutely nothing to do with their IT setup you'll be grand! If you're happy with a cc company that can't seem to get it's IT act together, that is!

• Advertisement

Shadooby wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My mother just got a Credit Card Statement from AvantCard which has her limit on it but she has no clue what this card is, after doing some googling, I found this thread and that they used to be MBNA or something to that affect.
    The statement mentions that she has €4,500 available to spend, I assume this is he limit
    The problem is, my mother never had an MBNA card of any type, she's always been with AIB.
    She's rather confused as to why she is recieving this as am I.
    Can we just ignore this statement?

Cheers

If nothing else there's a story there.
    Possibly ill-advised to ignore for all sorts of reasons.
    Might need professional advice on how to proceed though.
    I would see if it's worth while contacting the Financial editors of any of the Irish papers.
    If I remember rightly The Irish Times has a lady who acts as an Agony Aunt in these sort of things, surname Reddan, is all I have.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

ainiseoir wrote: »
    If nothing else there's a story there.
    Possibly ill-advised to ignore for all sorts of reasons.
    Might need professional advice on how to proceed though.
    I would see if it's worth while contacting the Financial editors of any of the Irish papers.
    If I remember rightly The Irish Times has a lady who acts as an Agony Aunt in these sort of things, surname Reddan, is all I have.
    Good luck.

I think they need to contact the credit card company before any newspaper. I would be highly surprised if my suggestion in a previous post isn't correct. They should also have a copy of the application on file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I'm in the same boat. Got a "statement" of 0.04c credit sent to my mother's house, where I haven't lived for about 10 years. Haven't had an MBNA card in even longer than that. It says I have a credit limit of 2,300 eur on this card that doesn't exist. I wonder what they are at - are they trying to lure in people who now can't get approved for a credit card due to bad ratings?

I certainly hope there won't be a bill next year for the Govt Stamp duty on this non-existent card! Going to call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BuzzG

At least your getting statements .. no sign of mine. This messing around has gone on far too long ... inability to view transactions online, delayed statements. Time the regulator took AvantCard to task and gave them a timeline to get their act in order or else face penalties for inability to run their business affairs and serve their customers in an effective and efficient manner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Received a paper ststement today, shoes the government stamp duty fm going through.

Will try and register for online banking as used to get e statements with MBNA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 anydroid

anydroid wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a call back on what an "issuer markup assessment" (of 63 cent) is all about.

Confirmed: issuer markup assessment means foreign exchange fee (obviously...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Received a paper ststement today, shoes the government stamp duty fm going through.

What month was the statement from? I haven't received any statements since January and the statements are still not online. I'm getting really pissed off. I want to pay off what is outstanding on the card but I'm not doing that until I know exactly what is on it.

I suppose I better go call them. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    What month was the statement from? I haven't received any statements since January and the statements are still not online. I'm getting really pissed off. I want to pay off what is outstanding on the card but I'm not doing that until I know exactly what is on it.

I suppose I better go call them. *sigh*

You can call them to get the info, they provide it all over the phone and tis automated. I know not that great but only way I can do it. I just got my statements last night.

Whatever you signup to, I would suggest that you don't give up your paper statement.
    For me it could only be taken from my cold dead hand, to quote Clint.
    In the long run being able to produce them if necessary could prove to be to your advantage.
    The IT end of things seems to be a bit flimsy at the minute.
    Little point in relying solely on the on-line account if you suddenly find that you can't do something as simple as logging in and apparently nothing much can be done about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pump

Any one know when they will have recent transaction’s working on the net?

Or is there a phone no. you can ring for them without having to talk to customer service?

Bit of a joke of a place

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Play Bunny

They wud wanna het rid of their i.t guys...im still logging in with my old mbna details and going through "forgotten password.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

pump wrote: »
    Any one know when they will have recent transaction’s working on the net?

Or is there a phone no. you can ring for them without having to talk to customer service?

Bit of a joke of a place

:rolleyes:

071 9656262

They don't know themselves when they'll have them up and running (as of yesterday) Manana manana

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pump

vicwatson wrote: »
    071 9656262

They don't know themselves when they'll have them up and running (as of yesterday) Manana manana

071 9656262 is no longer in service

Play Bunny wrote: »
    They wud wanna het rid of their i.t guys...im still logging in with my old mbna details and going through "forgotten password.

If you go through the "forgotten password" route why bother logging in with the old MBNA stuff? I'm not trying to be a smartass, just curious.
    Are you getting "Too many attempts, username disabled, ring cloud cuckoo land" when you try the Username and password issued by AvantCard?

I was sure thats the number I got them on yesterday. Will suss out tomorrow and repost number for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've deleted a few off-topic posts. Let's keep this to a useful tracking-issues thread rather than speculation about what AvantCard may or may not do years down the line with their business, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

071 9656262 is still working, 4th day on hold. It just goes dead after 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Finally got through today.

For anyone on a restructured payment plan:

Interest was charged to accounts that previously were restructured last month but this will be refunded by next month.

As with all banks I called I told the person in accounts I will be recording the call and after checking, he aggreed to this.

I made an agreed payment plan with MBNA in October, I have made this payment religiously monthly until now.

When I called today I was told this agreement doesn't exist as the agreed payment was for €50 more per month.

Even though they thought I was paying less than what they thought they agreed, they were still freezing interest and charges.

They now consider my account to be in arrears and are threatening to sell.

I now have to raise a formal complaint.

Good thing I have the original conversation recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

So do you think all restructured pay plans will follow this criteria?

I am on a restructured plan and received a couple of letters stating that I had missed payments etc but.... I had paid the amount I was supposed to on time.

I thought this was a mistake, suppose I'll have to ring and find out...

Forgive my naiveness, but what is meant by "They now consider my account to be in arrears and are threatening to sell"?
    I know it sounds awful, but what are the nuts and bolts of what they are threatening to do?
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Forgive my naiveness, but what is meant by "They now consider my account to be in arrears and are threatening to sell"?
    I know it sounds awful, but what are the nuts and bolts of what they are threatening to do?
    Thank you.

Basically that they will sell it to a debt collection agency like Intrum Justitia. Who will impose their own repayment terms and conditions.

Basically that they will sell it to a debt collection agency like Intrum Justitia. Who will impose their own repayment terms and conditions.

Thank you.
    Intrum Justitia, huh!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Keep detailed notes, send registered complaint letters and request responses. Keep track of their screw ups - date, times, names etc.

Then complain to the FSOB and complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lpw

So has anyone heard an ETA on when statements & recent transactions will be available? I can't recall the exact date of the switch over (Mar 16?) - but we are now at approximately +5 weeks late.

• Advertisement

Yes it is, this is the number I spoke to them on last Thursday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement