Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combo Freesat / Saorview TV

• 26-06-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a TV with Freesat / Saorview both built in to the TV.

Anyone got any recommendations? I've tried Amazon and Pixmania but can't seem to locate them.

32" - 37" is plenty big enough.

Cheers in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It don't exist. The nearest you will get is a freeview hd &freesat hd set. Even they are very rare , and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I believe Walker will have a TV in the not too distant future with both satellite and terrestrial tuners.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Tony wrote: »
    I believe Walker will have a TV in the not too distant future with both satellite and terrestrial tuners.

Cheers for the tip off.

A freeview Hd / Freesat combo TV would suit me fine, just want to be able to get Digital TV and Satelitte without the clutter of set-top boxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I saw a Panasonic saorview set in Soundstore in Cork it had freesat. Think it was called GT50.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

Samsung ES6300 series. About €900 for the 40"

• Advertisement

can Anyone confirm this as looking to buy soon :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Samsung UE32ES6300UXXU is Saorview approved and it has a satellite tuner. Any Samsung TV model no with UXXU has an onboard satellite tuner, according to the review over on Amazon it does Freesat (if you use UK as the install country I assume). Another assumption here - if you use UK as the initial install country (for Freesat maybe) I think there is an option on Samsungs to use/set a different country for terrestrial, can't confirm it though.

My brother, in the last few days, has purchased a Samsung ES8000UXXU and did a quick setup for him last night. Setup with Ireland as the country which tuned the satellite channels as a FTA satellite receiver would. Haven't really played around with the TV yet.

Cheers for the tips! :)

Does the FTA and Terrestrial work from the same EPG?

Or is it just the case of a button press to switch between each one?

Does the FTA and Terrestrial work from the same EPG?

Or is it just the case of a button press to switch between each one?

Different epgs, don't know of any combi TV that has a combined epg.

On the brother's new TV couldn't find an easy way to select between the 2 tuners, had to go in through the menu. Maybe there's an easy switch between the two tuners but didn't give myself time to find out.

Download the manual for the TV you intend buying and read through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

I have the Samsung 32" set up with a UK postcode to give both Freesat and Saorview. You dont need to go far into the menu to switch between the two. On the remote, just press 'Ch.List', then red button 'A', select 'Freesat' or 'Air' for Saorview, and away you go.

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    I have the Samsung 32" set up with a UK postcode to give both Freesat and Saorview. You dont need to go far into the menu to switch between the two. On the remote, just press 'Ch.List', then red button 'A', select 'Freesat' or 'Air' for Saorview, and away you go.

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to my brother.

Did you setup the TV with UK as the country, if so where did it initally place the Saorview channels - in the correct locations 1, 2, 3 etc or in the 800s?

On my Sony combi TV selecting between satellite/terrestrial tuners is done by a single press of the "Digital" button on the r/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

JonathonS wrote: »
    I saw a Panasonic saorview set in Soundstore in Cork it had freesat. Think it was called GT50.

I have a panasonic z81 from 2008 which does/did both freesat and saorview until RTE changed the PIDs (i think thats what they called them) so now when I retune i loose channels so can't update.
    i.e. be careful and go for saorview approved TVs which have freesat also.

TheDriver wrote: »
    I have a panasonic z81 from 2008 which does/did both freesat and saorview until RTE changed the PIDs (i think thats what they called them) so now when I retune i loose channels so can't update.

They changed the "service type" to 0x16/0x19. It doesn't that affects other TVs that I know of. I've got a non-approved Sony from 09/10, works OK with Saorview and satellite.

TheDriver wrote: »

I had another look at that Pan 50GT50. It is a Saorview set but the lads in Soundstore told me that if you select Ireland on set up you get just FTA satellite channels with a basic EPG. If you select UK you get Freesat but the Irish DTT channels start at 800 for RTE1, but you can renumber them. The Samsung ES6300 is also Saorview approved and seems to work the same way. Very nice TVs - time to start saving....;)

The Cush wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to my brother.

Did you setup the TV with UK as the country, if so where did it initally place the Saorview channels - in the correct locations 1, 2, 3 etc or in the 800s?

On my Sony combi TV selecting between satellite/terrestrial tuners is done by a single press of the "Digital" button on the r/c.

Yes, I just used London postcode W1A 1AA for Freesat. There is no separate postcode or region setting needed to scan for Saorview, just get the TV to search for Digital Aerial channels. It put the Saorview channels in the 800s, but you are able to re-number them to anything you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randel

Can you tell me if these "combo" tv's have the full 7 day freesat EPG?

randel wrote: »
    Can you tell me if these "combo" tv's have the full 7 day freesat EPG?

The 32" Samsung I referred to above does, plus the red button feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭damul

do you know if any of the 26" tv's have the capability of tuning in freesat and saorview stations?

I need to replace two tv's for my parents and one of them can only be 26" at most

damul wrote: »
    do you know if any of the 26" tv's have the capability of tuning in freesat and saorview stations?

I need to replace two tv's for my parents and one of them can only be 26" at most

I have not seen any or heard about a 26in launching. As far as I know the only sets with Freesat are top of the range from Samsung and Panasonic. I'm told that WAlker will have 3 or 4 models with a free to air satellite tuner but not a 26in. There will be a 32in. Walker prices are lower than the main brands so your parents might be able to stretch to the 32in?:)

• Advertisement

I'm told that WAlker will have 3 or 4 models with a free to air satellite tuner but not a 26in. There will be a 32in.

32" and 42" models from Walker it appears - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056696157

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭damul

I have not seen any or heard about a 26in launching. As far as I know the only sets with Freesat are top of the range from Samsung and Panasonic. I'm told that WAlker will have 3 or 4 models with a free to air satellite tuner but not a 26in. There will be a 32in. Walker prices are lower than the main brands so your parents might be able to stretch to the 32in?:)

thanks for the reply

For one of the tv's they wont be unless the room is re decorated which is a non runner really

they will just have to make do with 26" in one room and then a larger one in the other room so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Have a Sony 32EX725 that has Satellite and Digital Terrestrial tuners.

7 Day EPG works great but the Sat Now & Next can be hit and miss.

Only one tuner can be used at a time though.

It's 3D also and the stereoscopic (side by side) 3D which BBC used recently to broadcast Wimbledon was superb - had no idea 3D could be that good, made Cinema 3D looked pathetic in comparison.

Expensive enough TV - but well recommended.

whiplashed wrote: »
    Have a Sony 32EX725 that has Satellite and Digital Terrestrial tuners.

Expensive enough TV - but well recommended.

Not available any more unless you are lucky enough to find one in a shop. Current EX723 models dont have satellite tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Is there a freesat & Saorview TV? I heard the boss man from Saorview saying there was one approved but I can't seem to find it:confused:

nulabert wrote: »
    Is there a freesat & Saorview TV? I heard the boss man from Saorview saying there was one approved but I can't seem to find it:confused:

There is a Walker range of approved Saorview/FTA satellite receivers, also Samsung do a similar range (model no ending UXXU) - Freesat if setup with UK as the install country. Both ranges can be seen on the Powercity website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭championc

While I have a Panasonic G20B which has both FreeviewHD and FreesatHD tuners, and working great, I bought an Amiko Alien 2 Tripple Tuner STB before the Olympics and it's turning out to be a great purchase.

You can combine all channels on a Favourites list and then mix and match the recording and watching between Satellite and Terrestrial. You can also record two programs simultaneously while watching a third !!

So it's only failure is the lack of a 7 day on Satellite but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will come up with a software fix at some stage.

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I'm thinking of getting the Miraclebox Premium Mini HD Combo. I presume that will work with Soarview right (DVB-T)?

Also, from the dimensions ( WxHxD): 25.8 x 4.5 x 16.6 cm, it seems small enough to put under a wall mounted TV (24"). Would you agree?

Advertisement