Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

CarlsBurg wrote: »
    I used to like Tom Cruise. But the more I found out about scientology, the more I disliked watching him in something. Not to mention that fake plastic smile and "nice guy" persona he potrays in interviews. Comes off as an uber false and 'strange' bloke. But hey, he is still drawing at the box office. So there's still people who like him.

wasn't that due to him firing his agent (two days before the sofa incident)

and then hiring his sister to do his PR, but the unfortunate thing is his sister is far more rabid about Scientology then her brother, so the rains where loosened for the world to see what kind of nutjob he is, but he is still capable of a good performance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I love the first 40 minutes or so of WotW, but once they get out of the city is turns to shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love the first 40 minutes or so of WotW, but once they get out of the city is turns to shít.

It has some brilliant moments but some dire ones too, the initial appearance of the tripods, the ferry attack and the scene where the mob tries to take the car are all brilliant. visually its great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Sound of Noise

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278449/

2010, Swedish language film. Absolutely hilarious impromptu musical performance crime caper. Six unorthodox drummers gang up to perform four very special, weird and illegal percussion performances using various instruments made up from the environment they are performing in. It is quite hard to accurately describe the film so I post the blurb:

A tone-deaf cop works to track down a group of guerilla percussionists whose anarchic public performances are terrorizing the city.

The musically untalented cop is from a family of famous musicians and conductors, and as a result really can't stand music. The drummer characters are an absolute bat**** insane hoot, they all have serious expressions throughout the mental rhythms they produce using just about any kind of surface/material to bash on, including other characters. They hold up a bank with a metronome shouting "Everybody freeze, this is a gig!" :D

Although I felt the final performance and end of the film wasn't as entertaining as the rest of the movie, it still was very, very funny and the music was just plain mad. Highly recommend it especially with a few friends. You would have to be tone deaf and really grumpy not to enjoy this!

4.1/5

Try not to watch the other trailers/videos as they give too many of the best scenes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Watched The Devil's Double, based on the body double for Uday Hussein, Saddams son. What a messed up person he was. Really enjoyed it, remember seeing the guy who was his double being interviewed on RTE some years ago, what a story he told. Would love to have a drink with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pay Day:

Charlie Chaplin's final short film. Really excellent short film and visually brilliant especially the
    brick throwing scene on the building site.

Really simple gags that left a smile on my face. It's only about 21 minutes along but it's a gem of a short film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Bingo! I thought it was epic up until this point. The Emo kid and the god awful ending ruined the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

I've watched a few films recently:

Breaking Dawn: I've seen it before and we just got it because one of the girls still hadn't seen it.

Dont be Afraid of the Dark: watched this with two of my friends who are also female. It started out seeming to be creepy enough but once we found out that the "monsters"
    [were sprites or fairies]
    [/SPOILER]the creepiness wore off. I still found it good enough though.

Last night we watched The Awakening: this looked really good in the ad, it was also scary enough, at one point my friend screamed and nearly scared the life out of me. But as with the latter, once the story unfolded it wasn't scary anymore.

Seems to be a recurring thing in a lot of horrors lately, they're scary for the first 2/3's of the film and it loses it in the final bit, I found the same with Insidious too.

Think we're gonna watch Tower Heist tonight. Looks like it might be funny enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

CarlsBurg wrote: »
    I used to like Tom Cruise. But the more I found out about scientology, the more I disliked watching him in something. Not to mention that fake plastic smile and "nice guy" persona he potrays in interviews. Comes off as an uber false and 'strange' bloke. But hey, he is still drawing at the box office. So there's still people who like him.

You dislike him because of Scientology? That's ridiculous. Catholicism is just as nuts as Scientology but if you upset the god fearing Americans you're pretty much done for. Tom Cruise keeps his beliefs to himself unlike a lot of actors, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn etc. Plus Cruise is actually a genuinely nice guy unlike assholes like Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Jamie Foxx and Val Kilmer. Im definetely a fan of Cruise and love his performance as TJ Mackey in Magnolia and can't believe he didn't win the Oscar for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

You dislike him because of Scientology? That's ridiculous. Catholicism is just as nuts as Scientology but if you upset the god fearing Americans you're pretty much done for. Tom Cruise keeps his beliefs to himself unlike a lot of actors, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn etc. Plus Cruise is actually a genuinely nice guy unlike assholes like Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Jamie Foxx and Val Kilmer. Im definetely a fan of Cruise and love his performance as TJ Mackey in Magnolia and can't believe he didn't win the Oscar for it.

Three of my favourite liberal icons, we need more like them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

just saw moneyball, good story, ****e movie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Susan Sarandon called her son Jack Henry after a convicted killer:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Know them all personally do ya? ;)

Personally I couldnt care less about any actors religious views or personal life, I just enjoy watching films and letting myself get lost in them once the film and performance is good thats all that matters, and Cruise has made some great films like Born On The Fourth Of July. Likewise with Mel Gibson I couldnt care less about his anti semitic comments once when I see a film its good enough to make me forget about everything else and just focus in it.

Judge the ART not the ARTIST.

Sean Penn comes across as a complete knob though, he's one of those actors that takes themselves way too seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

krudler wrote: »
    Sean Penn comes across as a complete knob though, he's one of those actors that takes themselves way too seriously

Anyone care to take a go at Robbins too, or are you'se going to leave me with one to admire :D

This always makes me laugh, people decry Cruises beliefs, but not people who thank god for helping them win oscars. so god=does nothing about children starving to death but answers celebrity prayers to win gold statues. ones as nonsensical as the other.

Anyone care to take a go at Robbins too, or are you'se going to leave me with one to admire :D

Robbins was in Howard The Duck, hes the worst offender of all

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Judge the ART not the ARTIST.

hate the playa don't hate tha game :pac:

Robbins gets a lot less slack simply because he comes across as and is supposed to be a down to earth and decent bloke. Penn on the otherhand has a reputation for being something of a twat and his method acting rubs a lot of people up the wrong way. The whole notion that you can only refer to him by his characters name when he's shooting a film makes him seem like something of a tosser. Still he's a great actor and a fine director who isn't afraid to take a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

well seeing as you asked and war of the worlds has already been mentioned i will say he was the worst thing about that film which is no small thing :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bellflower - directionless, romantic hipsters drift through yellow hues, dreaming of dystopias, with ambiguous and highly combustible consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 carmella2012

Just seen THIS MEANS WAR with Reese Witherspoon and Tom Hardy
    Did not live up to expectations at all.
    Very disappointing :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just seen THIS MEANS WAR with Reese Witherspoon and Tom Hardy
    Did not live up to expectations at all.
    Very disappointing :mad:
    Shocking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Super: Watchable, I know it got labelled as a Kick-Ass rip off when it came out but there aint really many similarities between the two. Super provides a more realistic and mundane take on what happens if someone becomes a superhero. For a comedy there isn't too many laughs and most of them come from the OTT violence, and Ellen Page's (who plays Ellen Page yet again.) sidekick character. The
    rape scene between The Crimson Bolt and Boltie was odd and handled in a manner that was fairly dismissive of it, I don't know if it got any attention when the film was initially released but I reckon it would have got a lot more if the roles had been reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA

Kris Kristofferson gets all introspective
    talkin' to a bagged head on the seat of his car.

Another masterpeice from the legendary Sam Peckinpah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Kes
    really good. for a low budget indi film made in Yorkshire, I was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Kes
    really good. for a low budget indi film made in Yorkshire, I was impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Saw 21 Jump Street today, it was surpisingly good, well worth a watch if you like that sort of film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The Mask - havent seen it in a very long time tbh, and i have to say i seriously forgot how hilarious it is especially when a little bit tipsy :D, brings back memories of seeing it in the cinema when i was like 9 or 10 i think :eek:, plus Cameron Diaz is the eptimome of 90s hotness in it just wow! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement