Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Eoin Rheinisch has posted a very good time on his first semi final run this morning but with results still filtering through and more paddlers still to compete on the course we will have to wait to see where that good run will place him. He is ahead of all of the other unqualified boats so far which is a very encouraging sign. Still a way to go yet though before he can secure an Olympic place.

Not official yet but I think Eoin Rheinisch may just have qualified an Olympic quota place for Ireland in men's K1 Slalom. Hope to hear confirmation of this very positive news soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

He was 12th in semi final and as far as I can work out he's the only non Olympic qualifier for today's final

Looks like 10 qualify for final, but he's still done enough to qualify for London

Yep, the format worked out a treat in the end up for Eoin...he's got that all improtant quota place for Ireland for London 2012. This has been a very successful championships for the Irish canoeing squad.
    And then there were 45 (qualifiers for London!).

• Advertisement

UPDATE:
    We have seen three more additions to the Irish Olympic team over the last few days bringing the numbers of Irish qualifiers to 45 to date. Despite the fact that all 3 who earned the quota spots secured qualifying berths for the country rather than for themselves, all the indications suggest that it will indeed be them who will be awarded the Olympic starting places by their respective national federations. Therefore I am going to fire ahead and add them to my list of qualifiers by county: James Espey (men's Laser Sailing), Hannah Craig (women's K1 Slalom Canoeing) and Eoin Rheinisch (men's K1 Slalom Canoeing).
    These latest additions have seen a lot of change to the table of qualifiers by county with Antrim moving into 2nd place with 5 qualifiers to date. Kildare also get off the mark becoming the 13th county on the list of qualifiers.
    The ratio of men to women now stands at 24:16 in favour of the men (3 men for every 2 women) but as the 5 equestrian places are yet to be determined (both men and women will be considered for selection) and chances for 2 women's relay teams for London (swimming and running) the distribution of men and women qualifiers could even itself out.
    There is still much scope for the size of the squad to grow further over the next 4-6 weeks, we could still see as many as 60 on the Irish team if things go well over the coming period.
    Another update this morning: Colin Griffin of Leitrim has amde the A-standard for the men's 50km walk and will now go to his second Olympics. Leitrim are the 14th county on the list now and finally Connacht have another qualifier besides Paul Hession and Olive Loughnane.

* denotes the fact that the current number may reduce by one when the women's marathon team is finalised.

County|Number of athletes qualified|Details|
    Dublin|8*|Linda Byrne, Ava Hutchinson, Maria McCambridge, Deirdre Ryan, Annalise Murphy, Mark Kenneally, Barry Murphy, David Burrows
    Antrim|5|Ryan Seaton, Michael Conlan, Paddy Barnes, Lisa Kearney, Hannah Craig
    Cork|4|Derval O'Rourke, Robert Heffernan, Ciaran O'Lionaird, Peter O'Leary
    Donegal|3*|Brendan Boyce, Chloe Magee, Caitriona Jennings
    Down|3|Matt McGovern, Martyn Irvine, James Espey
    Galway|2|Olive Loughnane, Paul Hession
    Kilkenny|2|Darren O'Neill, Joanne Cuddihy
    Wexford|2|Grainne Murphy, Adam Nolan
    Wicklow|2|Fionnuala Britton, Stephanie Reilly
    Derry|1|Aileen Morrison
    Kildare|1|Eoin Rheinisch
    Leitrim|1|Colin Griffin
    Longford|1|Derek Burnett
    Westmeath|1|John Joe Nevin
    Other/Abroad|3|Alistair Cragg (South Africa), Kieran Behan (England), Tori Pena (U.S.A.)

Additional Info:
    • So far the team is made up of 25 men and 17 women and 5 unknown equestrian riders. The number of women qualifiers however will be reduced by one when Athletics Ireland choose their marathon team.
    • Qualifiers by province: Leinster (17), Ulster (12), Munster (4), Connacht (3).
    • Kieran Behan (gymnastics qualifier) although born in London, England has Irish parents: mother is from Monaghan and father from Dublin.
    • Tori Pena was born in California but competes for Finn Valley A.C. in Donegal and her grandmother was born in Derry.
    • Maria McCambridge has been living in Donegal for the last few years and competes for Letterkenny A.C. She is married to Letterkenny runner Gary Crossan and she is now living in Donegal with her family. Caitriona Jennings rather ironically hails from Letterkenny but runs for Rathfarnam A.C. in Dublin.
    • Olive Loughnane was born in Cork and indeed currently lives in Cork so she has strong connections to that county. Neverthless she grew up in Galway and is a product of Carrabane A.C. in Loughrea, Galway so I think in this case it may be fairer to include her in that county's total.
    • So far, just as many Corkmen as Dublin men have qualified (3 a-piece).
    • 9 qualifiers were born in Northern Ireland (6 men and 3 women).
    • Lisa Kearney will be Ireland's first ever female judoka to take part in the Olympic Games.
    • Perhaps unsurprisingly, Murphy is the most common surname, with 3 Murphys on the team.
    • Trap shooter Derek Burnett is the oldest member of the Irish Olympic team at 41 years of age. Maria McCambridge is the oldest women on the team, she will be 37 when the Olympic Opening Ceremony takes place and the youngest being Grainne Murphy who is just 19. Flyweight boxer Michael Conlan is the youngest male on the team at just 20 years of age.
    • The average age of our women when the Olympics get underway is 28.5yrs for women and 28.6yrs for the men. Overall the average is 28.5yrs for our Olympians.
    • 23 of the qualifiers will be first-time Olympians in London; 9 qualifiers are returning for a second time with 8 of these 9 having previously competed in Beijing in 2008 and Maria McCambridge returning after having competed in Athens 2004; 3 qualifiers (Derval O'Rourke, Alistair Cragg and Eoin Rheinisch) will be appearing in their 3rd consecutive Olympic Games; and a total of 4 Olympic veterans will be returning to the Olympic stage to make a 4th appearance, namely Robert Heffernan, Olive Loughnane and Derek Burnett who will travel to their 4th consecutive Olympics and David Burrows, who made his Olympic debut way back in Atlanta in 1996 (missed out on Beijing).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dan Man you deserve a lot of praise for all this good work on here.

Keep it up its very good to read.

Colin Griffin has made the Olympic A-standard for the men's 50km walk at the Race Walk World Cup in Saransk, Russia today. His time of 3hrs 52mins 54secs was comfortably inside the standard of 3:59hrs. He is the third athlete to qualify for this event for London 2012 and means we will have at least 17 qualifiers in the sport of athletics. Ireland now has 46 qualifiers for the Olympics.
    Leitrim are now off the mark in terms of Olympic qualifiers!

Laura Reynolds got the B standard in the walk but won't go as Olive Loughnane has the A standard. Olive finished 8th in the world cup of walking

Dodge wrote: »
    Laura Reynolds got the B standard in the walk but won't go as Olive Loughnane has the A standard. Olive finished 8th in the world cup of walking

Laura is just 72secs off that A standard...over a distance of 20km, that is a gap that she could overcome. She will probably have at least one more crack at it, hopefully she can pull it off.
    Just read that Colin had 2 warnings after 10km today, another one and he would have been DQd...talk about intense pressure! The heat was also intense so that was a really strong performance today by Colin. He's off to his second Olympics now!

• Advertisement

On day 1 of the Men's 470 Sailing World Championships in Barcelona, the Irish team of Ger Owens and Scott Flanigan have gotten off to a great start to their campaign, finishing 5th in race 1.
    The Irish duo are in pursuit of an Olympic quota place in Barcelona this week having narrowly missed out at last December's World Sailing Championships. There are 7 Olympic places up for grabs this week to the top 7 finishers from those unqualified nations.
    Here is the current state of play at this early stage in the battle for Olympic qualification and it's so far so good for Owens and Flanigan as they sit on top of the rankings. However there is a long way to go yet and as you can see it is nip and tuck at the top:

Note: I have only included the countries that the Irish guys are in competition with in terms of Olympic qualification. Remember the lower the score the better. A first place finish in a race will add just 1 point to that team's total, and a 30th place finish adds 30 points to that team's tally, not a good result for their ambitions of a good finish overall.
    The top 7 on this list at the end of the competition will be awarded Olympic quota places for their respective countries.

POSITION|COUNTRY|RACE 1|TOTAL
    1|IRELAND (Ger Owens/Scott Flanagan)|5|5
    2|Ukraine|6|6
    3|Poland|9|9
    4|Russia|9|9
    5|South Africa|10|10
    6|South Korea|10|10
    7|Venezuela|11|11
    8|Malaysia|11|11
    9|Brazil|13|13
    10|Belgium|15|15
    11|Slovenia|16|16
    12|Chile|16|16
    13|Turkey|17|17
    14|India|21|21
    15|Canada|22|22
    16|Hungary|23|23
    17|Denmark|28|28
    18|Czech Republic|29|29
    19|Ecuador|32|32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Canoe Sprint European Olympic Qualifier takes place in Poland, this Wednesday and Thursday.

Irish entrants are (2 spots available in each):
    • Neil Fleming (Mens K1 1000m)
    • Sean Marchetti (Mens K1 200m)
    • Jenny Egan (Womens K1 200m and 500m)
    • Andrzej Jezierski (Mens C1 200m)
    • Sean Marchetti/Val Pierce (Mens K2 200m)

Of those, Neil Fleming, Jenny Egan and Andrzej Jezierski are our best qualifications hopes.

This event is immediately followed by the first in the world cup series at the same location.

After the first day of racing at the Men's Finn World Sailing Championships in Falmouth, England, Ross Hamilton of Ireland is in 56th place overall after a difficult day of racing. Ross is also in search of Olympic qualification but with only 6 quota places up for grabs for those as of yet unqualified nations, he will have his work cut out for him.
    Ross currently lies in 12th place of those nations seeking Olympic qualifying berths after 73rd and 40th place finishes in races 1 and 2.
    He will be hoping for top 30 finishes in tomorrow's races in order to close in on those above him. He can't afford any more bad races now as he will have to discard that score of 73 from race 1 to stand any chance.
    Here is the current standings (I have only included then nations which Ross is in battle with for Olympic qualification):

POSITION|COUNTRY|RACE 1|RACE 2|TOTAL
    1|Poland|9|10|19
    2|Germany|23|13|36
    3|Czech Republic|17|19|36
    4|Austria|29|11|40
    5|China|21|31|52
    6|Turkey|27|28|55
    7|Hungary|39|29|68
    8|India|38|38|76
    9|Bulgaria|19|64|83
    10|Norway|44|46|90
    11|Cyprus|47|44|91
    12|IRELAND (Ross Hamilton)|73|40|113

Having been analysing the results of this weekend's Modern Pentathlon World Championships I am increasingly confident that Ireland's Natalya Coyle is going to make it to the Olympics.
    Although those championships did not go according to plan for Natalya (she missed the final by 1 place), other results have worked out very positively for the young Meath woman. The reason I suggest that it has played out positively for her is that all 3 available Olympic slots on offer at the World Championships went to pentathletes ranked abover her in the Olympic rankings list. How does this benefit her? Well there are 7 quota places available from the Olympic rankings list for the highest ranked non-qualifiers from world and continental championships, and as a result of the 3 places from the 2012 worlds going to those ranked above her, it effectively bumps Natalya up 3 places in the race for the final 7 quota positions.
    The rankings have not yet been updated after this weekends World Championships but Natalya will lose little ground on her rivals. Not very many of her close rivals below her in the rankings made any ground (Crognale of Italy and Wojcik of Poland excepted). Here were the rankings of those unqualified athletes before the world championships minus those 3 who earned quota places this weekend.

1. Sylvia Gawlikowska (Poland)
    2. Iryna Khokhlova (Ukraine)
    3. Natalie Dianova (Czech Republic)
    4. Donna Vakalis (Canada)
    5. Natalya Coyle (IRELAND)
    6. Katarzyna Wojcik (Poland)
    7. Sabrina Crognale (Italy)
    8. Claudia Cesarini (Italy)
    9. Suzanne Stettinius (U.S.A.)
    10. Lavinia Bonessio (Italy)
    Natalya jumps up from 8th place to 5th (inside the top 7 qualifying spots). But remember the ranking points have not updated so she will lose ground to those who made the World Championships final. Some of those who made the final are already ranked above her and others are a little too far back in the rankings to upset her position too much. The other very encouraging thing is that there is only one remaining event that counts towards the world rankings. This is the World Cup Series Grand Final and there will only be 36 pentathletes at this event and Natalya is one of them.
    In addition, as the British team qualified 2 athletes the automatic host nation quota place will be re-distributed to the 8th best non-qualifier in the Olympic rankings, further bolstering Natalya's chances.
    A lot of those who on the face of things are challenging her Olympic position will not be able to add to their total further, whereas Natalya should be able to add at least some points to her total (obviously the higher up she finishes in that competition, the better for her ranking points).
    It's hard to ascertain at the minute but when the World Rankings update this week there is even the possibility that Natalya will be in an unassailable position in the list and if not, she will have a great chance to overcome any deficit facing her in that final event.

Arthur wasn't just as lucky as a lot of guys ranked not too far behind him made the World Championship final and could overtake him in the rankings when they update. But as was the case with Natalya, he was helped in that all 3 quota places on offer went to pentathletes ranked above him, thus bumping him up the pecking order in the non-qualified list. Here is the Olympic rankings list before it has been updated but with those 3 qualifiers from this weekend now removed from the list of non-qualifiers. Top 8 are in qualifying positions as things stand:
    1. Pavlo Tymoschenko (Ukraine)
    2. Stanislau Zhurauliou (Belarus)
    3. Justinas Kinteris (Lithuania)
    4. Deniss Cerkovskis (Latvia)
    5. Jean Maxence Berrou (France)
    6. Ondrej Polivka (Czech Republic)
    7. Alvaro Sandoval (Mexico)
    8. Amro El Geziry (Egypt)
    9. Golis Remigiusz (Poland)
    10. Sam Sacksen (U.S.A.)
    11. Nikkos Papadopolo (Guatemala)
    12. Arthur Lanigan O'Keeffe (IRELAND)

As you can see Arthur has more work to do but what is encouraging is that he too has made the World Cup Series Grand Final which is the final qualifying event, and a lot of those directly above him have not qualified for that event, meaning that their rankings tally can not increase further. Arthur will still need a high placing in that event in order to overcome the deficit.

Updated route to gold for Katie. Semis would see her qualify as if she reaches there, a max of 3 Europeans will be there

Last 16; Kazakhstan
    Last 8; Romania/Bulgaria
    Last 4; Tajikistan/Kyrgzstan/France/Thailand
    Final; China/Russia/North Korea/Brazil/USA/Norway/England/India

--
    The 2nd seed, the double 64kg world champion Tatar from Turkey is out. 2 potential medalists Dong from China and Ochigava from Russia fight in the next round. Its likely one of those now won't make Olympics. Even with the wild card, one of the top 4/5 fighters won't make London

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Hope olive loughnane does well :) FYI she from
    Galway not cork although she lives there

cazzak79 wrote: »

I'm aware that she moved to Galway when she was young but she was born in Cork and currently lives in Cork. I understand that there is very good case to put her down under Galway in the lists but as I stated when I was making the list that I will in the main be categorising them by county of birth. The reason I am doing so is that I foreseen instances such as this and came to the conclusion that the table would become too messy as there are other athletes who have connections to more than one county. I know it isn't ideal but at least the system is clear and in any case, it's only for a bit of amusement.

But actually thinking this over, it's hard to discount her Galway connections since they are so strong. Maybe it would be fairer to put her down under Galway as she is the a product of Carrabane A.C. in Loughrea. I think this is one of those cases where it would be fairer to look beyond county of birth so I will indeed edit the list to reflect this. Remember it's only for fun anyway. At the end of the day the only colours that matter in London are the green white and gold....and gold silver and bronze of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CoachDudie

Really this thread should be given higher significance. I only saw it when it was linked in the athletics forum. Maybe it should be part of a special Olympic forum?
    Anyway it's great to see more and more qualifying. First time I read this thread the expectations were for over 50, now it could be near 60!
    Also near half the counties of Ireland are represented, a good spread.
    Just a question, when is the final date that Ireland announce their team? Can you qualify at the European championships?
    Keep up the great work Dan Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Dan man wrote: »

I'm aware that she moved to Galway when she was young but she was born in Cork and currently lives in Cork. I understand that there is very good case to put her down under Galway in the lists but as I stated when I was making the list that I will in the main be categorising them by county of birth. The reason I am doing so is that I foreseen instances such as this and came to the conclusion that the table would become too messy as there are other athletes who have connections to more than one county. I know it isn't ideal but at least the system is clear and in any case, it's only for a bit of amusement.

But actually thinking this over, it's hard to discount her Galway connections since they are so strong. Maybe it would be fairer to put her down under Galway as she is the a product of Carrabane A.C. in Loughrea. I think this is one of those cases where it would be fairer to look beyond county of birth so I will indeed edit the list to reflect this. Remember it's only for fun anyway. At the end of the day the only colours that matter in London are the green white and gold....and gold silver and bronze of course!
    Hiya it's just I know her and her family for years as I'm friends with her sister dosnt matter to be honest just hope she does well :)

The qualification deadline varies by sport. Triathlon and modern pentathlon are based on Olympic rankings with cut-off on May 31/June 1. Athletics deadline is July 8th...indeed athletes can qualify at the European Championships in Helsinki.
    Swimming times must be achieved by 3rd of July for pool events and the final qualifying tournament for the open water swim is June 9/10.
    Other athletes currently on the reserve list such as Scott Evans (badminton), Anna Merveldt (dressage) and some of our eventers will find out shortly whether or not they will get call ups. Joe Ward in the men's light-heavyweight boxing should also know this month if he will get a wildcard invitation for London.

• Advertisement

Hiya it's just I know her and her family for years as I'm friends with her sister dosnt matter to be honest just hope she does well :)

I think everyone can agree with the good will sentiments...she will be one of our top performers in London, really wish her all the best.

The qualification deadline varies by sport. Triathlon and modern pentathlon are based on Olympic rankings with cut-off on May 31/June 1. Athletics deadline is July 8th...indeed athletes can qualify at the European Championships in Helsinki.
    Swimming times must be achieved by 3rd of July for pool events and the final qualifying tournament for the open water swim is June 9/10.
    Other athletes currently on the reserve list such as Scott Evans (badminton), Anna Merveldt (dressage) and some of our eventers will find out shortly whether or not they will get call ups. Joe Ward in the men's light-heavyweight boxing should also know this month if he will get a wildcard invitation for London.

I suppose others are happy that they've already qualified and can concentrate on the Olympics with their training etc but if others manage to qualify in these last few weeks they will know they are on great form in the lead up to London. They'll be flying it.
    Do you know is there many using Helsinki as there last go at qualification? Is this where Gillick is going?

CoachDudie wrote: »
    I suppose others are happy that they've already qualified and can concentrate on the Olympics with their training etc but if others manage to qualify in these last few weeks they will know they are on great form in the lead up to London. They'll be flying it.
    Do you know is there many using Helsinki as there last go at qualification? Is this where Gillick is going?

It's very difficult to know who will be going to the Europeans with the Olympics just 5 weeks after....some people will use those champs to prepare, others will stay clear so as they can peak in London. I think I read that Gillick has Helsinki in his plans in order to prepare for the rounds of the 400m. Also most athletes who have not achieved the standards for the Olympics but have the European standard will likely use that competition in order to have a crack at the qualifying mark.
    I would think we might see a lot of our Olympians at the Europeans. It's also a great opportunity for our women's 4x400m squad to nail down that Olympic place for sure...they are ranked 12th in the Olympic rankings with the top 16 teams achieving qualification when the deadline arrives. Even if they don't improve on their times from last year they still have a very good chance of qualifying. But I am sure they will be even faster this year with Joanne Cuddihy getting back to good form.

In sailing news, our men's 470 team of Ger Owens and Scott Flanigan have placed 9th in both race 2 and race 3 at the men's World Championships in Barcelona today. They have so far put together a strong scorecard that keeps them towards the top of the rankings in terms of Olympic qualification. They are due to have another race today and another top 10 placing would be a very welcome result.

It's very difficult to know who will be going to the Europeans with the Olympics just 5 weeks after....some people will use those champs to prepare, others will stay clear so as they can peak in London. I think I read that Gillick has Helsinki in his plans in order to prepare for the rounds of the 400m. Also most athletes who have not achieved the standards for the Olympics but have the European standard will likely use that competition in order to have a crack at the qualifying mark.
    I would think we might see a lot of our Olympians at the Europeans. It's also a great opportunity for our women's 4x400m squad to nail down that Olympic place for sure...they are ranked 12th in the Olympic rankings with the top 16 teams achieving qualification when the deadline arrives. Even if they don't improve on their times from last year they still have a very good chance of qualifying. But I am sure they will be even faster this year with Joanne Cuddihy getting back to good form.

It should be a good appetiser for the Olympics anyway and hopefully we get a medal or two plus a few late qualifiers.

It should be a good appetiser for the Olympics anyway and hopefully we get a medal or two plus a few late qualifiers.

Yep it'll keep us ticking over until the big one comes... I'd say some athletes will show more emotion by actually making the standard than those winning the medals. Some of the distance races could be interesting, probably they won't be won at a crawl due to the fact that athletes are chasing the standards.

The Irish men's 470 duo of Owens and Flanigan have placed 10th in race 4 meaning that they have had a very good day in the battle for Olympic qualification. I will update with a list of the current standings when it is made available but it has to be said that they are well on track for a place in London 2012. Another consistent day in the top 10 tomorrow should cement that Olympic quota place.

At the men's Finn World Championships in Falmouth, Ireland's Ross Hamilton endured another disappointing day of racing placing 45th and 58th in today's races. He has racked up an unwelcome total of points on his scorecard now that would suggest his chances of making the Olympic quota positions are now on the slim side.
    Here is the latest ranking of those unqualified nations in Falmouth (the top 6 will gain Olympic quota places at the end of the competition):

Ross has moved up one place in this list.

POSITION|COUNTRY|RACE 1|RACE 2|RACE 3|RACE 4|TOTAL
    1|Poland|9|10|8|15|42
    2|Austria|29|11|21|35|96
    3|Czech Republic|10|37|31|30|108
    4|Germany|23|13|30|54|120
    5|China|21|31|33|38|123
    6|Turkey|32|30|25|64|151
    7|Hungary|39|29|43|46|157
    8|Norway|44|46|18|55|163
    9|Cyprus|47|44|48|33|172
    10|India|38|38|62|52|190
    11|IRELAND (Ross Hamilton)|73|40|45|58|216

Really this thread should be given higher significance. I only saw it when it was linked in the athletics forum. Maybe it should be part of a special Olympic forum?

I, amongst others, tried to get an Olympics forum 4+ years ago and was shot down.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    I, amongst others, tried to get an Olympics forum 4+ years ago and was shot down.

Well in fairness that was a little early for the London games. ;)

An Olympic forum would be perfect for threads like this. Another one with information for fans who will be attending, especially with a lot of Irish living in London they could give local knowledge. Ticket information (although it's getting late for that), I'm sure Dan would be starting an Irish at the Olympics thread or something. You could have a thread for predictions, another for betting tips. A drug scandal thread.
    I'm sure people could think of loads more. It would be filled with threads full of valuable information. Makes sense to start it but you or I don't make those decisions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement