Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

• 12-01-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

Cost: €60

Last year's thread

There's been plenty from these parts talking about doing Cork in June...myself included.
    I printed off the paper form today and about to send it off.

So, who else is up for it??

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would be a bit of craic to get some relay teams from here going again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Would be a bit of craic to get some relay teams from here going again :)

I already have a boys team organised behind the scenes, hoping to hit 2:4x. Now it's up to you to organise a girls one :D

Relay entry doesn't seem to be open yet...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Now it's up to you to organise a girls one :D
    I will then :)

PM if interested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You're supposed to be doing triathy that weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

oh i got a pang of excitment / nerves when i saw this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Told the OH only yesterday that i'm thinking of doing this.....anyone know what its like and is it a good one to do..... have to decide for definite and get the training plan going!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Got an email back from organisers today, the online entry should be up and running tomorrow.

Entry breakdown:

(before) March 31 April 30 May 11

Marathon – online 65 75 85
    Marathon – hardcopy 70 80 90
    Concession (35) (40) (45)

Half Marathon – online 42 52 62
    Half Marathon - hardcopy 45 55 65
    Concession (25) (30) (35)

Relay – online 97 107 117
    Relay – hardcopy 100 110 120
    Concession (50) (55) (60)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

Younganne wrote: »
    Told the OH only yesterday that i'm thinking of doing this.....anyone know what its like and is it a good one to do..... have to decide for definite and get the training plan going!!!!

Maybe I'm biased cause I live in Cork but it's pretty good with a great level of support from the locals. I've run it twice & the first year was in monsoon-like conditions but there were still people out to cheer the runners on.

It's way smaller than DCM so the start is easier to handle, you can even start at the front if you want ;)

The Cork Running site goes through every stage (for the relay) if you want to see what the course is like.

1st leg
    2nd leg
    3rd leg
    4th leg
    5th leg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Got an email back from organisers today, the online entry should be up and running tomorrow.

Entry breakdown:

(before) March 31 April 30 May 11

Marathon – online 65 75 85
    Marathon – hardcopy 70 80 90
    Concession (35) (40) (45)

Half Marathon – online 42 52 62
    Half Marathon - hardcopy 45 55 65
    Concession (25) (30) (35)

Relay – online 97 107 117
    Relay – hardcopy 100 110 120
    Concession (50) (55) (60)

Interesting...I printed off and filled out the Word Doc form where they charge €60. I've sent it off this morning but if i waited a couple of days the hard copy form would be €70...glad/hope I got in on time!

will there be pacers and if so what time groups?
    would loved to improve from 4.27 to 4.15??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I'm considering doing this as my first marathon. Furthest I've done before was a 30k race in Korea.

Not going to enter until March or April to see how my training schedule is going.

I was previously thinking of doing one in Autumn, but I've never been to Cork and have heard some good things about this race (plus it's not as big as some of the other well known marathons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I've been down to Cork the last 3 years so would be a shame not to go back, so now I just need other relay members to make a team unless rainbow will have me as a chick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Yep , there's been a 4.15 up to now, so i'm sure it'll be the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

I'm in. Im a Cork native and have had this marathon in mind since watching it last year. Furthest I've gone to date is half marathon but am currently in training for the longer stuff. I am still unsure of what goal to set for myself - prob a sub 4hour although Mcmillan says I can do a sub 3:45 going from my 5mile/10mile times but I really am not as positive (at least not right now)

Anyway, the race is a fairly flat course, not really any hills to be overly worried about. Good support along the way normally as well. Weather can be the biggest factor. Last year was overcast and slightly warm and not too bad but previous years were some of the hottest days on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Yes its a good race, quite well supported by the public for the most part. The relay changeover points seem a little chaotic but you get great encouragement when running through the crowds of people if you are doing the full marathon. Miles 11-16 are the highlights in terms of the course for me anyway.
    Doesn't really fit in with other races I have planned this year, but ill surprise myself if I dont end up at the start line in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Yes its a good race, quite well supported by the public for the most part. The relay changeover points seem a little chaotic but you get great encouragement when running through the crowds of people if you are doing the full marathon. Miles 11-16 are the highlights in terms of the course for me anyway.
    Doesn't really fit in with other races I have planned this year, but ill surprise myself if I dont end up at the start line anyway.

Woddle wrote: »
    unless rainbow will have me as a chick :D
    As long as Mrs Woddle approves :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Def gona aim for this race - was thinking of Belfast or Limerick but this suits me better as am on summer hols - more time to prepare also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Im sure there will be pacers again this year. Ive sent last years pacer organiser a pm to see have they any info. Its early days yet though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

jonny99 wrote: »
    Yep , there's been a 4.15 up to now, so i'm sure it'll be the same this year.

I could not remember a 4:15 pace group so I just checked last year's results. There was no 4:15 pace group last year, at least not according to that list.

• Advertisement

I could not remember a 4:15 pace group so I just checked last year's results. There was no 4:15 pace group last year, at least not according to that list.

I'll just have to train harder and go with the 4hr pacers so!!!!:D

I'll just have to train harder and go with the 4hr pacers so!!!!:D

Excellent! :) That's the spirit!

Just started reading the P&D Advanced Marathoning and planning on following the 18 week up 55m plan...so its 20 weeks.....haven't run in two weeks dues to chest & ear infections so hoping to start back Monday
    2 weeks to get back training and getting the mileage up to decent standard and then kick off the 18 week plan.....
    i hope i will be able for it...i only followed Hal Hidgons novice plan for DCM 2010 & 2011 and i'm hoping i'm not biting off more that i can chew...maybe i should try HH intermediate plan first and leave P&D till DCM 2012????

Thoughts anyone on P&D being too advanced for a novice...(i suppose the hint is in the title of the book:eek:??)

Just started reading the P&D Advanced Marathoning and planning on following the 18 week up 55m plan...so its 20 weeks.....haven't run in two weeks dues to chest & ear infections so hoping to start back Monday
    2 weeks to get back training and getting the mileage up to decent standard and then kick off the 18 week plan.....
    i hope i will be able for it...i only followed Hal Hidgons novice plan for DCM 2010 & 2011 and i'm hoping i'm not biting off more that i can chew...maybe i should try HH intermediate plan first and leave P&D till DCM 2012????

Thoughts anyone on P&D being too advanced for a novice...(i suppose the hint is in the title of the book:eek:??)

I used P&D for my third marathon and then a few marathons following that. Give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

please don't label me as elitist (because I'm way off it:D) but I think the Cork marathon is not a great one to run because of the relay & half marathon going on around it.
    Any marathon I've done (and it's been a while since I've done one) I enjoyed the sense of togetherness, like, when you're shagged at mile 22 but the people beside you are also shagged but ye are all in the same boat and manage to finish.
    In Cork you may have people whizzing past you as they begin their relay leg while you're about collapse!

I have nothing against relays etc, they are great fun and definitely add to the atmosphere (and to the coffers of local business) but I think a marathon is a marathon on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

please don't label me as elitist (because I'm way off it:D) but I think the Cork marathon is not a great one to run because of the relay & half marathon going on around it.
    Any marathon I've done (and it's been a while since I've done one) I enjoyed the sense of togetherness, like, when you're shagged at mile 22 but the people beside you are also shagged but ye are all in the same boat and manage to finish.
    In Cork you may have people whizzing past you as they begin their relay leg while you're about collapse!

I have nothing against relays etc, they are great fun and definitely add to the atmosphere (and to the coffers of local business) but I think a marathon is a marathon on the day.
    Have to agree with this. Did Cork last year and really enjoyed it but I found the relay a distraction. When the change overs happened, I found fresh runners surging past me at different stages gave it a choppy feeling and made it harder for me to control my own pace. Think I'll still do it though as the pro's outweigh the con's.

I think the main issue was that the fast half-marathon runners were impeded by slower marathon runners, which is a problem for the half, not the full. It's serious enough for me never to run the half there unless they change things but I would not hesitate on running the full again.

The relay - well, that's a personal thing. I find it very much depends on yourself - if you're having a bad day, getting caught by fresh relay runners can be a problem, but if you're feeling good then it's the opposite.

The enthusiasm and buzz at the changeover points is something I always look forward to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't think I'd be too happy with running a full surrounded by relay runners, seem to remember something like that going on in Rotterdam although I was still overtaking most of them once I realised what was going on. At least Cork puts numbers on the relay runners backs so that you know not to try and keep up.

The change over points are fantastic to run through though. There is good support all the way round, but to run through the changeover and it's like a wall of sound. I'm hoping to just run one leg this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I also used it for my 3rd marathon (Berlin 2011) having used Hal for the 1st 2. Found it enjoyable given the variety of workouts - oh I also hit my target.

In the middle of it again for Rotterdam in April.

Hope to get to Cork again in June - thoroughly enjoyed it last year. Thought the relay changeover points helped break the race into mini-targets and felt like a hero running through them with all the cheering and support.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Gonna do this alright.

Second marathon after the DCM. Just starting proper training last week, though have done a few half marathons over the winter and was running a couple of hours a week before now.

Would like to get comfortably below the 4 hour. Scraped it by seconds in Dublin.

Advertisement