Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why is my car insurance so damn high? Please help!

• 30-07-2012 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Okay, I've been online all day just looking up cars and stuff. And I've found a nice little car. It's a 00 nissan micra. It's 900 euro.
    I was just on aoninsure.ie trying to get a quote for the car and it said 4500!!! WHAT THE HELL?! Surely it can't be that god damn expensive for a micra? C'mon like. I'm 18yo. I was expecting insurance to be around 2500 not nearly double that..

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Forget online quotes, ring around to every broker and insurance company you can find tomorrow and see how you get on.

Online quotes are a waste of time for lads under 25. I know from experience!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ring them up as opposed to using websites. Also try insurance brokers who will shop around on your behalf.

Take a day off and ring EVERYONE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Forget online quotes, ring around to every broker and insurance company you can find tomorrow and see how you get on.

Online quotes are a waste of time for lads under 25. I know from experience!;)

What are you on about Alan? You're like Henry Sellers .i.e 37yo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

As already said, ring them. Online quotes are usually bollox.

Try Britton and First Ireland while doing your search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Ring Quotedevil.ie

also when brokers ask you what your other quotes are dont tell the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Remember when talking to brokers that you'll do a voluntary excess of €200. Ignore any company that has stupidly high excesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

noeld932 wrote: »
    Okay, I've been online all day just looking up cars and stuff. And I've found a nice little car. It's a 00 nissan micra. It's 900 euro.
    I was just on aoninsure.ie trying to get a quote for the car and it said 4500!!! WHAT THE HELL?! Surely it can't be that god damn expensive for a micra? C'mon like. I'm 18yo. I was expecting insurance to be around 2500 not nearly double that..
    a lot depends on where you live,what you do,obviously your age & your gender, but even 2500 sounds expensive. have you tried tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

noeld932 wrote: »

Try Britton insurances in Donegal. They were the cheapest around when I was getting mine a few weeks ago. Aon were the dearest and I got a similar quote to you.

You'll only need TPFT anyway. You should give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

the_syco wrote: »
    Remember when talking to brokers that you'll do a voluntary excess of €200. Ignore any company that has stupidly high excesses.

Why? It's just a different type of product. A substantially lower premium for taking on more risk. If you dont have an at fault accident, you wont need to make a claim. I wouldn't do it myself, but I wouldnt ignore them if i was being quoted 4.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

marcus2000 wrote: »
    Why? It's just a different type of product. A substantially lower premium for taking on more risk. If you dont have an at fault accident, you wont need to make a claim. I wouldn't do it myself, but I wouldnt ignore them if i was being quoted 4.5k
    I don't see the point in anything less than €200 damage affecting my no-claims bonus, so that's why I have a €200 excess.

When I was younger, I came across a few places that sold insurance for €4000 who had a €5000 excess, but it'd be mainly pointed at those in certain high-powered modified cars. If you read the T&C, you'll find that there would usually be a few clauses that

OP; look for a car less than 10 years old. Most insurance companies won't touch cars older than 10 years, esp if you're 18.

Or give you an insanely high price to drive you away :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

the_syco wrote: »
    OP; look for a car less than 10 years old. Most insurance companies won't touch cars older than 10 years, esp if you're 18.

I thought that 15 years or more was too old for a car to be insured by some places? Haven't had any trouble insuring my 13 year old micra anyways :P (also not 18 though, so I guess that might be different?)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LynseyH

Sir123 wrote: »
    Try Britton insurances in Donegal. They were the cheapest around when I was getting mine a few weeks ago. Aon were the dearest and I got a similar quote to you.

You'll only need TPFT anyway. You should give them a ring.

Got my first insurance on a provisional for just over a grand with Britton recommend them also but ring them!

Advertisement