Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

marching season

• 07-07-2011 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

coming up form cork and have never bein to the north.

was planning on touring around the north this monday (11th july) till friday( 15th) but have just reliazed this is marching season.

is it safe to do so and would the car be ok with the irish reg. i dont know if its just the lads in work winding me up. Basically i was just planing on going from belfast to derry up along the coast visting the sites along the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,819 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im fairly sure you will be fine. Just avoid the actual parades as you would do with any parade if you are on a sight seeing trip only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

norris wrote: »
    coming up form cork and have never bein to the north.

was planning on touring around the north this monday (11th july) till friday( 15th) but have just reliazed this is marching season.

is it safe to do so and would the car be ok with the irish reg. i dont know if its just the lads in work winding me up. Basically i was just planing on going from belfast to derry up along the coast visting the sites along the way

Hi you should be fine there will be no one up at the coast on the 12th so thats even better for you. If you want to avoid the parades they (i think) have morning practices in every town so wait to the afternoon for a drive and then it should be fine, i'm not sure were the main antrim parade is but i know that ours is in limavady so avoid limavady (on the road from coleraine to derry). Derry should be fine they barely ever have parades. And it probably is them winding you up. :P Theres never ever trouble at the parades its just the ones in belfast the media likes to exaggerate things as per usual in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There is occasionally trouble at the parades, but not much more than you'd get whenever you have a group of people out on the streets 'celebrating' and some alcohol thrown in. If you have a rough idea of where you're going to be on which days you can check them out on the Parades Commission website here - though the roads will generally be closed a couple of hours before the parade starts anyway so you're unlikely to drive into the middle of one. If you want to see one the one in the centre of Belfast is really impressive, and better organised than some of the smaller ones.

I was up at the weekend with my C-reg and was grand, aside from the few kids that pointed as if to say 'oh look, they're lost' :) That said I wouldn't leave my car parked on a street in the immediate vicinity of a parade, in case someone gets a notion for trouble and your car is different to all the others because of where it's from. It's unlikely anything would happen, but better to be safe than sorry.

Advertisement