Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to scrap a car

• 12-11-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I need to scrap or sell my old '00 Hyundai for parts.
    I've rang Power's and they said they wouldn't be paying for it as it costs them money to scrap cars, draining oil, removing battery etc. I'd like to get a few quid for it. Anyone know anywhere?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Put it on Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You shouldn't have any problem selling it at all, especially with the scrappage deals at the moment from dealerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

If you can get to a scrap yard, most will pay you for it, probably around €100. Price of scrap fluctuates a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

marathont wrote: »
    If you can get to a scrap yard, most will pay you for it, probably around €100. Price of scrap fluctuates a lot.

That's just it, I rang Pascal Power (at least I think that's who it was, I just got a number off a mate) and they said nope - shur it costs them to scrap the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Try Philly McBride in huggenstown. He breaks cars for parts so might be worth a call i think i got his number in the yellow pages the last time i was looking for parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is an "end of life" depot in Granny/Granagh across the river I understand. Don't think you get anything for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Kxiii wrote: »
    Try Philly McBride in huggenstown. He breaks cars for parts so might be worth a call i think i got his number in the yellow pages the last time i was looking for parts.
    As far as I know, he'll actually charge you to take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Will the Fire Brigade take it for training?

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

That's just it, I rang Pascal Power (at least I think that's who it was, I just got a number off a mate) and they said nope - shur it costs them to scrap the car!
    it does in its eye cost him, how do ya think he makes a living??? obviously from just taking cars from idiots that are willing to hand them to him for scrap and get nothing for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Molloy Metals should give you something for it, and will provide you with a certificate of destruction. Can't be used by anyone else on scrappage scheme as must be in the name of person buying new car...... Surely its worth throwing on DoneDeal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I thought the thing to do these days was buy a car for pittance and have it registered to you for 6 months before then going to buy a new car and get €2k off (or 4 with Renault) when buying a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Insure it and burn it.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

AdMMM wrote: »
    I thought the thing to do these days was buy a car for pittance and have it registered to you for 6 months before then going to buy a new car and get €2k off (or 4 with Renault) when buying a new car.

Its a minimum of 18 months ownership + proof of insurance to qualify....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Its a minimum of 18 months ownership + proof of insurance to qualify....

plus it has to have an NCT cert afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanorpen

PASCAL POWER Keep Away from that lad. That guy turns VERY nasty if everything doesnt go his way on a deal.

Still have this heap parked outside my house...grrr...

If you are desperate to get rid try this lot, they are authorised scrappers.

Waterford
    Maurice Lenihan
    Address :
    Newtown, Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford
    Tel :
    (051) 294209
    Mobile :
    (087) 2702220

mike65 wrote: »

Waterford
    Maurice Lenihan
    Address :
    Tel :
    (051) 294209
    Mobile :
    (087) 2702220

Cheers Mike, I'll give him a shout tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

mike65 wrote: »

Waterford
    Maurice Lenihan
    Address :
    Tel :
    (051) 294209
    Mobile :
    (087) 2702220

Is this a free service:)

Well to be honest I'm not sure.

• Advertisement